Re: Built my dream hammock

  • teblum
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
      -Okay, guys. I'm always ready to try new stuff.

      Re. the double sheet bend.

      Is the "larger line" the bunched up hammock end itself?

      If so, I got it.

      Also I got it re. the slipped double bend part. That's a good tip.
      Don't need the bos'n spike near as often with that veriation.

      Tom

      - In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > before bending the hammock to tie, try pulling the sides an inch or so
      > > tighter than the middle. The double sheet bend makes experimentation
      > > easy.
      >
      > Do yourself a favor and make your double sheet bends slipped (instead
      > of sending the end of the webbing through the second time, fold it
      > over and put a loop through). This will make it lots easier to untie
      > as you experiment, or if you want to wash your hammock, or dry it, or
      > (insert personal reason here). After you've spent a few nights in the
      > hammock, any knot you have tied there will be pretty snug. The slipped
      > version gives you an easier 'undo' feature (CTRL-Z for you Windows
      > geeks out there).
      >
      > I do gotta echo the choice of a double sheet bend, it's easier to
      > untie then whipping. To me, it's also easier to feel like I can trust
      > it not to come undone, unlike whipping, which depends on my skill at
      > doing it tight enough. One nice thing about bends is that they tighten
      > up under loads.
      >
      > Pics of the slipped double sheet bend are under Jonas4321 in the
      > Photos section. Ignore the fact that I attach a loop, you can attach
      > one end of your webbing to the hammock the same way.
      >
      > Jonas

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
        wrote:

        > Holy Hammocks, Batman! We need PICTURES!!!

        ditto...

        PS Don't try it in Florida without no see 'um mesh!
      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@...> wrote:

          > -Okay, guys. I'm always ready to try new stuff.
          >
          > Re. the double sheet bend.
          >
          > Is the "larger line" the bunched up hammock end itself?

          Yes.

          Just remember, the "loose" end of the hammock must end up on the same
          side of the finished bend as the bitter end (free end) of the rope or
          webbing. They must exit the same side. If they exit opposite sides,
          you'll have a danger of the bend slipping.

          Sorry, that hurt my head just re-reading it.

          A properly tied sheet bend has both free ends of the ropes on the same
          side of the finished bend. If you imagine the hammock being one of the
          ropes, you'll get what I mean.

          Here's a web page that has a picture of the knot (um, bend):

          http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/double_sheet_bend/double_sheet_bend.gif

          Jonas
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
            Hangers:

            I've added a series of photos of my "Dream Hammock" to my album: Bear's Pix. As you may recall, this is a three-layer hammock patterned after Tom Claytor's "Mosquito Hammock" but with no zippers.

            For these photos, I replaced the one-foot loop of cord in the casing with some long tubular nylon straps so I could spread the ends out flat.

            I think the photo captions explain the construction fairly well. The photos with the hammock hung show how the netting presses itself against the body of the hammock.

            I took it out to Myakka River State Park this weekend (Saturday night) for a test run. It worked well, but not perfectly.

            I spent a lot more time fussing with the netting than I'd have liked to. It tended to lay against my face from the side. If I make a V2 of the hammock, I might make the lifting grossgrain straps 18 inches wide and add loops at the ends, so I can put a stick between the end loops to spread the netting.

            Also, If you roll over on your side, there's a risk the netting will make a gap immediately opposite your face. I think this is because the tension caused by the shock cord running underneath puts the entire edge of the netting under tension -- normally a good thing. But that tight edge wants to be below your shoulder when you're on your back for best sealing. When you're on your side -- it has nothing to snap around.

            But once I put on a sleeping cap and my poncho liner, the netting stayed away from me. Even when I rolled, there were no gaps. No bites in the morning. Hooray!

            Maybe I was just too sensitized to the potential problems and consequently fussed too much. Once I was asleep, it seemed to handle itself without my intervention.

            As it stands, the hammock is 1 lb, 4 oz. I think even lighter materials could be used for the body. I'll bet it could be made under a pound.

            Bear
            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=8969804/grpspId=1705065843/msgId=16436/stime=1164650894/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
              Great pics, Bear...looks like an excellent project.

              Maybe if you sewed a small strip of elastic, maybe 3" long, right
              where the netting sags onto your face, it would tighten it up enough
              to keep it off your face.

              Also, I think you may have discussed this before but I don't remember
              the details. On the close-up pic of your rings attachment, is that
              just a cord holding the rings, then the webbing passes through it?
              Has that been strong enough to hold you well w/o slipping? And it's
              easy to undo in the morning?

              Jeff
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                Jeff:

                If you mean the photo titled "Rings close up" then what you're looking at is the stock configuration of a "Travel Hammock."

                It's a single layer of parachute nylon with a casing. They use 7 or 8 mm prussik cord through the casing. I attached my two rings using a Lark's head hitch -- didn't even have to untie the stock loop.

                And yes, it holds just fine and is easy to adjust or release in the morning.

                Some folks can't find the right combination of webbing and rings to make it work without slipping, but I don't have that problem. (Maybe it's got something to do with my body weight?)

                All that happens is that the surface of the webbing gets either really compressed or hot or something that makes it a bit shiny. But that doesn't seem to impact the operation much.

                If you look at the "Ring and toggle" photo, that method seems even better to me. And you'll notice that topologically, the ring and toggle is the same as a common ladder buckle.

                I'd like to be the first to advance the theory that if we could find a sufficiently thick ladder buckle, that's all we'd need for a simple, adjustable strap system. I've tried it with a wire ladder buckle of about 1/8 inch gauge wire, but the force just bends the middle wire in. Once the webbing goes flat, it starts to slip.

                Bear

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                  OK I think I understand now?????

                  1) By using the two clips on the bugnet you create a "virtual" ridgeline to
                  suspend the net.
                  2) would a couple more underbody loops help keep the net tight around your
                  shoulers?

                  3) I like the straps, I'm gonna try them.

                  Ralph

                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Ralph:

                    Yes, you've got it right.

                    I've been thinking about ways to improve the seal as well. I'm loath to add any more clips that have to be undone and redone to get in an out. It's supposed to be at least as easy as using a zipper.

                    However, I'm considering experimenting with two puller straps, maybe around 1/3 the way along the sides, rather than one in the middle. That might be an acceptable compromise between solid sealing and ease of entry.

                    Bear

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Taking a look at your dream hammock, my first thought was two puller
                      straps, too. Placed just as you state below.

                      But, the I began to wonder about this alternative: What if you used
                      twice the width of mosquito netting. The netting would run from halfway
                      underneath, around the top, and back to halfway underneath. The netting
                      would only be sewn to the hammock at the casings. The rest of it
                      would be loose. Having the ends sewn to the casing, may keep the net
                      wrapped around you. So, all you'd have to do is pull the net up to
                      climb in and out, no calisthenics to connect puller straps underneath
                      you. That's the theory, but I probably do not have enough real-world
                      experience to predict how well it will work. For all I know, the net
                      would wind up as a rope over your head.

                      If this works, it would allow you to eliminate the puller straps all
                      together. The biggest disadvantage I see so far is that this will
                      prevent you from flipping the hammock over for a net-free night (among
                      other uses). This might be solved with bungies and mitten-hooks (rather
                      like installing a JRB quilt on the wrong side) instead of sewing the
                      loose halves into the underside of the hammock casing.

                      CL