Re: Built my dream hammock

  • mrbyer
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
      double sheet bend with photo:

      http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/sheetbend.htm

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@...> wrote:

      > I have no idea what a "double sheet bend" is. If you mean the knot, I
      > have no problem with whipping and hanging successfully. It doesn't
      > come apart.
      >
      > I just always end up with a tight (high) spot in the middle of the
      > hammock after using it for a while. My theory is that the fabric slips
      > through the whipping. It's just an untested theory at this point.
      >
      > Tom
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > On 11/28/06, teblum <teblum@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Take a close up of the ends, where you run a loop through the
      > > > "casing". I'm looking for an alternative to whipping.
      > >

      > > Have you tried the double sheet bend?
      > >
      > > Ralph

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
        before bending the hammock to tie, try pulling the sides an inch or so
        tighter than the middle. The double sheet bend makes experimentation
        easy.

        Ralph

        On 11/28/06, teblum <teblum@...> wrote:
        > I have no idea what a "double sheet bend" is. If you mean the knot, I
        > have no problem with whipping and hanging successfully. It doesn't
        > come apart.
        >
        > I just always end up with a tight (high) spot in the middle of the
        > hammock after using it for a while. My theory is that the fabric slips
        > through the whipping. It's just an untested theory at this point.
        >
        > Tom
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > On 11/28/06, teblum <teblum@...> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Take a close up of the ends, where you run a loop through the
        > > > "casing". I'm looking for an alternative to whipping.
        > >

        > > Have you tried the double sheet bend?
        > >
        > > Ralph

      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006

          > before bending the hammock to tie, try pulling the sides an inch or so
          > tighter than the middle. The double sheet bend makes experimentation
          > easy.

          Do yourself a favor and make your double sheet bends slipped (instead
          of sending the end of the webbing through the second time, fold it
          over and put a loop through). This will make it lots easier to untie
          as you experiment, or if you want to wash your hammock, or dry it, or
          (insert personal reason here). After you've spent a few nights in the
          hammock, any knot you have tied there will be pretty snug. The slipped
          version gives you an easier 'undo' feature (CTRL-Z for you Windows
          geeks out there).

          I do gotta echo the choice of a double sheet bend, it's easier to
          untie then whipping. To me, it's also easier to feel like I can trust
          it not to come undone, unlike whipping, which depends on my skill at
          doing it tight enough. One nice thing about bends is that they tighten
          up under loads.

          Pics of the slipped double sheet bend are under Jonas4321 in the
          Photos section. Ignore the fact that I attach a loop, you can attach
          one end of your webbing to the hammock the same way.

          Jonas
        • teblum
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
            -Okay, guys. I'm always ready to try new stuff.

            Re. the double sheet bend.

            Is the "larger line" the bunched up hammock end itself?

            If so, I got it.

            Also I got it re. the slipped double bend part. That's a good tip.
            Don't need the bos'n spike near as often with that veriation.

            Tom

            - In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > before bending the hammock to tie, try pulling the sides an inch or so
            > > tighter than the middle. The double sheet bend makes experimentation
            > > easy.
            >
            > Do yourself a favor and make your double sheet bends slipped (instead
            > of sending the end of the webbing through the second time, fold it
            > over and put a loop through). This will make it lots easier to untie
            > as you experiment, or if you want to wash your hammock, or dry it, or
            > (insert personal reason here). After you've spent a few nights in the
            > hammock, any knot you have tied there will be pretty snug. The slipped
            > version gives you an easier 'undo' feature (CTRL-Z for you Windows
            > geeks out there).
            >
            > I do gotta echo the choice of a double sheet bend, it's easier to
            > untie then whipping. To me, it's also easier to feel like I can trust
            > it not to come undone, unlike whipping, which depends on my skill at
            > doing it tight enough. One nice thing about bends is that they tighten
            > up under loads.
            >
            > Pics of the slipped double sheet bend are under Jonas4321 in the
            > Photos section. Ignore the fact that I attach a loop, you can attach
            > one end of your webbing to the hammock the same way.
            >
            > Jonas

          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
              wrote:

              > Holy Hammocks, Batman! We need PICTURES!!!

              ditto...

              PS Don't try it in Florida without no see 'um mesh!
            • jonas4321
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@...> wrote:

                > -Okay, guys. I'm always ready to try new stuff.
                >
                > Re. the double sheet bend.
                >
                > Is the "larger line" the bunched up hammock end itself?

                Yes.

                Just remember, the "loose" end of the hammock must end up on the same
                side of the finished bend as the bitter end (free end) of the rope or
                webbing. They must exit the same side. If they exit opposite sides,
                you'll have a danger of the bend slipping.

                Sorry, that hurt my head just re-reading it.

                A properly tied sheet bend has both free ends of the ropes on the same
                side of the finished bend. If you imagine the hammock being one of the
                ropes, you'll get what I mean.

                Here's a web page that has a picture of the knot (um, bend):

                http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/double_sheet_bend/double_sheet_bend.gif

                Jonas
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Hangers:

                  I've added a series of photos of my "Dream Hammock" to my album: Bear's Pix. As you may recall, this is a three-layer hammock patterned after Tom Claytor's "Mosquito Hammock" but with no zippers.

                  For these photos, I replaced the one-foot loop of cord in the casing with some long tubular nylon straps so I could spread the ends out flat.

                  I think the photo captions explain the construction fairly well. The photos with the hammock hung show how the netting presses itself against the body of the hammock.

                  I took it out to Myakka River State Park this weekend (Saturday night) for a test run. It worked well, but not perfectly.

                  I spent a lot more time fussing with the netting than I'd have liked to. It tended to lay against my face from the side. If I make a V2 of the hammock, I might make the lifting grossgrain straps 18 inches wide and add loops at the ends, so I can put a stick between the end loops to spread the netting.

                  Also, If you roll over on your side, there's a risk the netting will make a gap immediately opposite your face. I think this is because the tension caused by the shock cord running underneath puts the entire edge of the netting under tension -- normally a good thing. But that tight edge wants to be below your shoulder when you're on your back for best sealing. When you're on your side -- it has nothing to snap around.

                  But once I put on a sleeping cap and my poncho liner, the netting stayed away from me. Even when I rolled, there were no gaps. No bites in the morning. Hooray!

                  Maybe I was just too sensitized to the potential problems and consequently fussed too much. Once I was asleep, it seemed to handle itself without my intervention.

                  As it stands, the hammock is 1 lb, 4 oz. I think even lighter materials could be used for the body. I'll bet it could be made under a pound.

                  Bear
                  <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=8969804/grpspId=1705065843/msgId=16436/stime=1164650894/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                    Great pics, Bear...looks like an excellent project.

                    Maybe if you sewed a small strip of elastic, maybe 3" long, right
                    where the netting sags onto your face, it would tighten it up enough
                    to keep it off your face.

                    Also, I think you may have discussed this before but I don't remember
                    the details. On the close-up pic of your rings attachment, is that
                    just a cord holding the rings, then the webbing passes through it?
                    Has that been strong enough to hold you well w/o slipping? And it's
                    easy to undo in the morning?

                    Jeff
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                      Jeff:

                      If you mean the photo titled "Rings close up" then what you're looking at is the stock configuration of a "Travel Hammock."

                      It's a single layer of parachute nylon with a casing. They use 7 or 8 mm prussik cord through the casing. I attached my two rings using a Lark's head hitch -- didn't even have to untie the stock loop.

                      And yes, it holds just fine and is easy to adjust or release in the morning.

                      Some folks can't find the right combination of webbing and rings to make it work without slipping, but I don't have that problem. (Maybe it's got something to do with my body weight?)

                      All that happens is that the surface of the webbing gets either really compressed or hot or something that makes it a bit shiny. But that doesn't seem to impact the operation much.

                      If you look at the "Ring and toggle" photo, that method seems even better to me. And you'll notice that topologically, the ring and toggle is the same as a common ladder buckle.

                      I'd like to be the first to advance the theory that if we could find a sufficiently thick ladder buckle, that's all we'd need for a simple, adjustable strap system. I've tried it with a wire ladder buckle of about 1/8 inch gauge wire, but the force just bends the middle wire in. Once the webbing goes flat, it starts to slip.

                      Bear

                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                        OK I think I understand now?????

                        1) By using the two clips on the bugnet you create a "virtual" ridgeline to
                        suspend the net.
                        2) would a couple more underbody loops help keep the net tight around your
                        shoulers?

                        3) I like the straps, I'm gonna try them.

                        Ralph

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
                          Ralph:

                          Yes, you've got it right.

                          I've been thinking about ways to improve the seal as well. I'm loath to add any more clips that have to be undone and redone to get in an out. It's supposed to be at least as easy as using a zipper.

                          However, I'm considering experimenting with two puller straps, maybe around 1/3 the way along the sides, rather than one in the middle. That might be an acceptable compromise between solid sealing and ease of entry.

                          Bear

                        • Cara Lin Bridgman
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 6, 2006
                            Taking a look at your dream hammock, my first thought was two puller
                            straps, too. Placed just as you state below.

                            But, the I began to wonder about this alternative: What if you used
                            twice the width of mosquito netting. The netting would run from halfway
                            underneath, around the top, and back to halfway underneath. The netting
                            would only be sewn to the hammock at the casings. The rest of it
                            would be loose. Having the ends sewn to the casing, may keep the net
                            wrapped around you. So, all you'd have to do is pull the net up to
                            climb in and out, no calisthenics to connect puller straps underneath
                            you. That's the theory, but I probably do not have enough real-world
                            experience to predict how well it will work. For all I know, the net
                            would wind up as a rope over your head.

                            If this works, it would allow you to eliminate the puller straps all
                            together. The biggest disadvantage I see so far is that this will
                            prevent you from flipping the hammock over for a net-free night (among
                            other uses). This might be solved with bungies and mitten-hooks (rather
                            like installing a JRB quilt on the wrong side) instead of sewing the
                            loose halves into the underside of the hammock casing.

                            CL