RE: Hammock Camping I need help!!

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 2, 2003
      Jodi, you sound like me trying hammocks in the worse weather I can find!  My number one ploy is to AVOID wind as much as possible!!  Of course, that's not always possible, but when I can I set up below a ridge or hill top on the wind-protected side. Often, only a 100' or so down from the ridgeline is all that's necessary to find total protection--in mountainous terrain this is extremely easy since the hammock can be set up on very steep slopes.  I tell numerous such stories in my book. Set up down wind of large trees, down logs, rocks, dense bushes, buildings, etc also often helps. In cold weather avoiding wind like this is essential for warmth.  This is one of the great advantages of hammocks over tents or tarps which are often limited to the exposed flat ground.
      High winds can also easily damage the lightweight canopy material used in most camping hammocks.  The usual 1.1 sil ripstop nylon is not bomb-proof and actually will tear in high winds where the pull tabs are attached--the needle holes at the stitching actually perforate the nylon fabric and this can lead to tearing.  This material is wonderfuly lightweigh and very tough--but it can be damaged by high winds--another reason to avoid as much wind as possible.
      Of course, I also perfer large 8x10 canopies since they easily allow the side or sides to be lowered when necessary to block wind--smaller canopies may not have this ability.  To prevent wind & driven rain from entering the ends of my set up, I will use my umbrella (yes, I always hike with a small one) and/or a barrier sheet like my plastic ground sheet or aluminized emergency blanket--I carry one of these anyway in my pack in case I need to sleep on the ground or need the vapor barrier inside my PeaPod for added warmth.  Of course, sometimes I get caught unprepared when stormy weather arrives long after I set up camp--at times like these, I may get up to re-adjust my setup.
      Staying dry and warm is possible in a hammock--it just takes a bit of planning, prepation and flexibility...Ed
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 23, 2003

        If you go to WallyMart they have a set of replacement tubes & pouch
        for about $4. The pouch is a little leather oblong that has a hole
        in either end which the tubing is attached to using what looks like
        a larkshead knot.

        What I did was cut the leather so I could pull the tubing off. That
        leaves a tube with a loop in the end. If you're using a grommet or
        plastic ring like the Hennessey uses on the fly then you need to get
        the ring inside the tubing loop.

        The secret is that the tubing is simply a tube. On one end they poke
        a hole in one wall of the tube. Then they lay the pouch on the tube,
        reach through the hole, grab the end of the tube and pull it through
        the hole so it ends up turning inside itself.

        It's much less difficult to do than it is to picture from this
        description though. First you'll want to soap it up to make the
        rubber slippery. Then you can grab the loop with a pair of needle-
        nose pliers and pull it back out of itself. Then you can reverse the
        process by using the needle-nose pliers again to reach through the
        hole and grab the end to catch the ring or grommet. The first time
        you do it you'll puzzle over it. The 2nd time you'll just do it.

        In fact, I don't bother pulling the tubing out when I do it. I just
        cut it off just below where it connects to the leather pouch. Then I
        poke a hole using a shish-kebab skewer about 3/4" from the end. I
        push the nose of the pliers through the open end of the tube & out
        the hole I just made. Then I pull the other end of the tube through
        the ring and then place that end in the jaws of the pliers. Then I
        pull it through and when I'm done I've got that nice neat connection
        around the ring.

        On the free end of the tube that attaches to the tie-out cord I use
        a small (1/4" dia) nylon spacer (Home Depot, 50 cents, you'll find
        them in the drawers of miscellaneous hardware) I thread the end of
        the cord through the spacer (it's a hollow nylon tube) and tie a few
        overhand knots to make it large enough not to slip through the hole
        in the spacer. I put some Crazy Glue on the knot to make sure it
        doesn't unravel. Then I soap up the nylon spacer and shove it into
        the end of the rubber tubing. You'll need to fiddle with it a bit to
        get the thing in as it's a tight fit and you'll want to make sure
        the end of the tubing comes down over the end of the spacer but once
        it's on it's not coming off again unless you roll the tubing off of
        the spacer.

        As they say, this thing is "bulletproof". I've not had any issues
        with the connections of the tubing. When I hang my hammock I tie it
        to a stake or tree with the tubing stretched. Then as the fly
        loosens up the tubing takes up the slack. I don't think using an
        elastic cord like the Hennessey's hammock tie-outs use would work
        long term as they tend to loose their stretch over time when
        regularly tied out in a stretched mode. The rubber tubing is a
        surgical grade rubber that doesn't have a problem being tied out
        stretched and then returning to it's unstretched size.

        I don't think this whole thing weighs more than a couple of ounces.