Re: I need help!!

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 2, 2003
      Coy,

      Like most of us, I have tried many different arrangements with
      hammocks. At one time with my HH (Hennessy hammock) I was attaching
      the foot end of the rain fly to a tree and leaving the head end of
      the rain fly attached to the ridgeline. This seemed to solve the
      problem of a limb, flapping rainfly coming in contact with the
      netting of the hammock while increasing ventilation and gave a nice
      viewing area out the foot end of the hammock. Never got caught in
      high winds with this arrangement...but always felt vunderable to
      being caught by high winds/rain coming from the direction of my feet,
      since the rainfly was essential 'raised' at the foot end. Then,
      someone on one of the yahoo groups mentioned using shock cord to
      maintain tension on the rainfly of a HH and I used shock cord to
      attach the rainfly at both the head end and foot end of the hammock
      ridgeline. Being 'clever', I also attached a small piece of
      shockcord to both sides of the rainfly in series with my normal tie-
      out line. I tried this out in my backyard and was really 'impressed
      with myself' for having a solution to keeping the HH rainfly taunt
      and off of the hammock netting while having the convience of the
      rainfly attached to the hammock ridgeline.

      Then, I went camping with Ed Speer. Remember the trip that everyone
      except Ed and I cancelled on because of the huge storm coming through
      and the tree that fell real close to us? (Well, that was the last
      time I used my HH...after that trip I made my own hammock to get away
      from the bottom entry, permanent netting and also use an 8x10' tarp
      to improve coverage.) There I was safely inside my HH with the
      rainfly attached to the ridgeline using shockcord on all four corners
      of the rainfly with no flapping. All of sudden in the middle of the
      night I was awoken by the sound of extremely high winds and looked
      overhead at the night sky! When the wind stopped, my rainfly was
      taunt and in place over the hammock. It also kept the rain that
      followed off of me and I stayed dry, fortunely for me, it wasn't
      raining when the high winds came through because if it had I would
      have be drenched, since the shockcord stretched enough in high winds
      to leave hte hammock exposed. I learned the inherent problem of
      using shockcord on a rainfly, the shockcord stretches under high wind
      load and may compromise your coverage. For me, it was a 'false
      solution' to the inherent problem of attaching the rainfly to the
      hammock ridgeline and it also got me thinking (and yes, thinking
      sometimes gets me into trouble) about the 'stretch' that is inherent
      in the much used 1/8" nylon cord that I have sometimes used to rig
      tarps. Since then, I use a home made hammock and a 8x10' tarp with
      very low stretch spectra cord to rig the tarp as a rainfly.

      Youngblood

    • colonelcorn76
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 23, 2003
        Hi,

        If you go to WallyMart they have a set of replacement tubes & pouch
        for about $4. The pouch is a little leather oblong that has a hole
        in either end which the tubing is attached to using what looks like
        a larkshead knot.

        What I did was cut the leather so I could pull the tubing off. That
        leaves a tube with a loop in the end. If you're using a grommet or
        plastic ring like the Hennessey uses on the fly then you need to get
        the ring inside the tubing loop.

        The secret is that the tubing is simply a tube. On one end they poke
        a hole in one wall of the tube. Then they lay the pouch on the tube,
        reach through the hole, grab the end of the tube and pull it through
        the hole so it ends up turning inside itself.

        It's much less difficult to do than it is to picture from this
        description though. First you'll want to soap it up to make the
        rubber slippery. Then you can grab the loop with a pair of needle-
        nose pliers and pull it back out of itself. Then you can reverse the
        process by using the needle-nose pliers again to reach through the
        hole and grab the end to catch the ring or grommet. The first time
        you do it you'll puzzle over it. The 2nd time you'll just do it.

        In fact, I don't bother pulling the tubing out when I do it. I just
        cut it off just below where it connects to the leather pouch. Then I
        poke a hole using a shish-kebab skewer about 3/4" from the end. I
        push the nose of the pliers through the open end of the tube & out
        the hole I just made. Then I pull the other end of the tube through
        the ring and then place that end in the jaws of the pliers. Then I
        pull it through and when I'm done I've got that nice neat connection
        around the ring.

        On the free end of the tube that attaches to the tie-out cord I use
        a small (1/4" dia) nylon spacer (Home Depot, 50 cents, you'll find
        them in the drawers of miscellaneous hardware) I thread the end of
        the cord through the spacer (it's a hollow nylon tube) and tie a few
        overhand knots to make it large enough not to slip through the hole
        in the spacer. I put some Crazy Glue on the knot to make sure it
        doesn't unravel. Then I soap up the nylon spacer and shove it into
        the end of the rubber tubing. You'll need to fiddle with it a bit to
        get the thing in as it's a tight fit and you'll want to make sure
        the end of the tubing comes down over the end of the spacer but once
        it's on it's not coming off again unless you roll the tubing off of
        the spacer.

        As they say, this thing is "bulletproof". I've not had any issues
        with the connections of the tubing. When I hang my hammock I tie it
        to a stake or tree with the tubing stretched. Then as the fly
        loosens up the tubing takes up the slack. I don't think using an
        elastic cord like the Hennessey's hammock tie-outs use would work
        long term as they tend to loose their stretch over time when
        regularly tied out in a stretched mode. The rubber tubing is a
        surgical grade rubber that doesn't have a problem being tied out
        stretched and then returning to it's unstretched size.

        I don't think this whole thing weighs more than a couple of ounces.

        Jim