looking for cold weather

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
      yep... i just got back from mt rogers recreation area & couldn`t
      belive how warm it was. i know it gets cold in the mountians... surely
      we`ll hit the right weekend sooner or later<g>.
      guess i`d better watch what i say. next trip may be more cold than i
      barganed on <g>.
      i didn`t check the temp during the day, but it had to be at least 65°.
      it ony got down to 42 through the night.
      like ed & dave, i had way more than needed.
      and there i was, taking a break & someone said...tim?
      and there was marta! i thought that was pretty amazing to cross paths
      w/ marta like that.
      she & another person were slack-packing that section to take
      advantage of the great weather for crossing through the mt rogers area.
      looking forward to the next trip. and looking forward to seeing
      what ed`s got up his sleve! ...tim
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
        Gee Tim, it was a strange weekend. I was up on the Fires Creek Rim
        Trial in western NC. It is pretty close the Murphy, NC and is in the
        area where Eric Rudolph spent some time camping out. Anyway, there
        was absolutely no wind and while the lows in Murphy were around 34F,
        the lows on the Rim Trail were more than 10F WARMER. The Rim Trail
        is about 3000 feet higher in elevation... that was a surprising
        example of temperature inversion, where in still air the warm air
        rises and the cool air sinks. I was expecting it to be up to 10F
        COOLER at those elevations when I left home. It was a beautiful
        weekend for hiking, not in the sky and the stars where impressive. I
        woke up about a 2 hours before sunrise this morning, saw about a half
        dozen shooting stars from my hammock and then walked out to one of
        the vistas on the Chunky Gal trail to watch a nice sunrise looking
        out over many of the mountains that I often hike along the AT.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
          dave... i don`t know about fires creek rim w/o looking, but i do reconize the name "chunky gal" from the standing indian area map. that name kinda sticks<G>.
          i had thought about emailing you to see if you`d be interrested in hiking somewhere in that area, but for one thing that`s a long way for me to drive for a one night camp.
          also i knew that there would be at least one other hammocker at mt rogers, & that`s only about 2 & 1/2 hrs away, so i just did that.
          about the tempertures, i have a brunton adc, that shows the temperture history. it showed the a rise from 42 to 48, then back down. it spiked 4 or 5 degrees up then back down a couple times through the night. i would asume it to be pretty accurate.
          it would be good if we could get together for a hike this winter. ...tim

          Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006

            > about the tempertures, i have a brunton adc, that shows the
            temperture history.

            Have you had problems with your ADC resetting? If I leave mine
            anywhere it can get warm, like in the sun, it zeros out the memory
            (including time/date and temperature history) and the screen goes
            blank until it cools down.

            The thing is, it never gets over ~75F here in Monterey, and it blanks
            out like this in my sunroom...even on a hot day with the windows
            closed it's only about 80F. For a few hours it's right in the
            sunlight, but still - these temps seem pretty mild to affect a
            THERMOMETER like that!

            Wondering if it's a problem with my ADC or if others have experienced
            something similar.

            Jeff
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 27, 2006
              i`ve never had that happen, & it shouldn`t. i belive i would call brunton & talk to them about it. those little guys cost to much to be doing that. ...tim

              .