Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:hi!

  • Brindon John Quinitio
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2006
      Sir Nate, thanks for the reply. I hope other people in this forum would also give me bits and pieces of advice. Actually, I live near Malaysia, I am from the Philippines. The problem here is that there are no stores to buy good hammocks from, they only sell the hammocks made from nets. Parachute cloth here is only about $1.40/yard. Is parachute cloth good for making tarps or do i really need to look for silnylon? I only saw cloth that are used for making umbrellas, the cloth is the same as our car cover when it is in the garage.

      I hope some of the other folks here would also give me bits and pieces of advice. Specially those in the tropics and those who have been to the tropics.

      Thanks again! (^_^)v

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2006
        Hi Brindon,

        I don't know much about diy hammocks (yet?) and the different materials
        available in your area (or the States for that matter). Would love a silk
        speer type one.

        I did use my hammock a lot in the jungles of Thailand, Malaysia, Guatemala
        and Honduras. I used a Hennessy Hammock UltraLight BackPacker. Total nights
        spend in it.... eeh somewhere between 180 and 365 days&nights (and still
        going strong). Never made it to the Philippines (yet! <eg>).

        I chose a HH because then I could not forget the mozzie net, ease & speed of
        setup and the total weight. Now I might choose a different hammock if
        mosquito's, ants, centipedes etc are less of a problem then in general in
        the (tropical) jungles. But I definitely want the setup to weigh the same or
        less.

        My standard tarp was big enough for the straight downpoors in the tropics.
        Once it starts to get more windy you might want to reconsider something
        bigger (I bought a JRB).

        I know the cheap hammocks you can find on most markets in Thailand are
        pretty good (Speer type), if they fit you. Occasionally I still use one (in
        my room for example).

        Eeeh anything else that comes to mind right now... nope nothing. But if you
        have any questions just respond to the list or pm, whatever you prefer.

        Grtz Johan

        mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
        email: gonewalkabout2003@...

        http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
        http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

      • natesdenn71
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2006
          Brindon,
          My girlfriend used tarps made from parachute nylon when she was at
          university in Malaysia. She said they used parachute tarps and tents
          as cook shelters in the jungle. When I was in a shopping mall in
          Malaysia I wandered into a camping store. I found a really nice nylon
          hammock for about RM40 or about $10-$15 US. It even had a double
          bottom with a sleeve for a sleeping pad. I really wished I would have
          bought it. I would try to make a hammock from the parachute nylon
          since it is cheap where you are. I have seen army survival manuals
          that show using a parachute as a shelter. I would think that material
          would suit your purpose. Good luck!