Backpack Question

  • Ricky Pounders
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 22, 2006
      Hey all you hammock folks. I am new to the group and kinda new to
      hammock camping. I have a hennessy and really like it. A question I
      have is what do you guys usually do with your backpacks at night to
      keep them dry and off the ground? No room in the hammock.
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
        Some people arrange their load so efficiently that when they're set up there's nothing in their backpack. In that case, it can be extra insulation for your feet.

        Myself, I usually leave it hanging on a carabiner I've corded to a tree, where it's at a handier height to reach into. When rain starts, I just sling it underneath my hammock on the ground, or maybe on top of, or wrapped in, my poncho or a trash bag.

        If I'm going out on day two of a three-day downpour (i.e. when I know the ground will be wet) I take a net hammock or other lightweight hammock to sling below my actual hammock to hold gear.

        Bear

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
          Hangers:

          There are no pictures, so this may be a bit wordy. Over the holidays, my Rita helped me sew together my dream hammock. It's a design I've been thinking about for years while I swung in other people's designs. It's a three-layer, jungle hammock type, much like the Mosquito Hammocks, but with no zippers.

          Here's how it goes. Dimensions are finished dimensions and do not include casing allowances.

          The bottom two layers are 1.1 oz ripstop nylon (not silnylon). These pieces are 4 ft. 6 in. wide, and 8 ft long. They are joined at the ends to form a casing. The casing also includes the netting layer.

          The third layer is mosquito netting. (Would have preferred no-seeum, but couldn't get it at the time.) This layer is 5 ft. wide and 8 ft. long. All three layers are folded to form the casing.

          In addition, all three layers are sewn together for 12 inches, starting at the casing. In this area, the extra width of the netting (3 inches on each side) is tucked between the bottom layers before all three layers are sewn together.

          The netting has four areas where grossgrain ribbon straps are sewn on. Two of the straps are used to hold the netting up at the ends. Two are used to pull the netting together underneath me at the center of the hammock.

          The straps that hold the netting up are 18 inches from the casing. They are about six inches long, running parallel to the casing, and in the middle of the netting. They're made by sticking a strip inside the netting, then sticking another strip with a preformed loop on the outside, then sewing them together. (Hooray for spray adhesive!) To each loop, I attached a yard of 1/8-inch shock cord with a mitten hook at either end. One mitten hook goes through the loop, the other hook will go to my ridgeline or to the tree rope.

          The straps that pull the netting together under my butt are shaped like upside-down Ts. The base of the T runs along the edge of the netting. It's about 12 inches long and centered along the length of the netting. The vertical stem is about 7 inches long, and runs perpendicular to the edge of the netting. It's doubled over to from its own loop, which extends an inch below the edge of the netting. I use another yard of 1/8-inch shock cord to form an 18-inch loop, tied through one of the strap loops, and through a mitten hook. Once I'm in the hammock, I pull the shock cord under me to the other side, and hook the mitten hook into the other loop.

          Finally, I use two feet of 5mm rope to create a one foot loop through the casing at each end. I attach a 1-1/2 inch diameter metal ring to each loop using a lark's head.

          In practice...

          I attach my tree ropes to the tree, leaving about a yard of running end. The running end goes through the metal ring on the hammock, gets adjusted, then tied off using a Hennessy hitch or slipped sheet bend.

          If there are no bugs, I put the netting side down.

          If there are bugs, I put the netting side up, attach the shock cords at the ends to my ridge line or the tree ropes. Getting in or out just involves using the hook to attach or unattach the shock cord running underneath me.

          There are areas at the head and foot where the netting may gap away from the hammock material, but once these are arranged to run below the droop of the hammock, they press firmly against the hammock sides as if by magic. The widths of the base and netting panels are, for me, optimal to ensure protection.

          I like having the bottom two layers open along their length so I can insert and adjust my insulating pads from both sides. I also like that the hammock is symmetrical -- there's no head or foot, left or right.

          There. That's it. I wouldn't mind in the least if someone with high volume manufacturing capabilities experimented with this design using even better materials and ended up offering it as an ultra-light model, so I can have the seams perfect, and can order another one whenever I want to hook somebody else on hammocking.

          Bear

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
              Holy Hammocks, Batman! We need PICTURES!!!
            • jdmitchtroop226
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                I gotta echo the need for pics that others have made. The design
                sounds very cool, but frankly, I can't manage to envision this.

                Sounds neat.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust,

              • teblum
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jdmitchtroop226" <jdmitch@...>
                  I got to third (or fourth??) the picture request.

                  Take a close up of the ends, where you run a loop through the
                  "casing". I'm looking for an alternative to whipping.

                  If nothing else, find someone with a camera cell phone. You get them
                  free with renewall these days

                  TIA
                  Tom

                  wrote:> I gotta echo the need for pics that others have made. The design

                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                    On 11/28/06, teblum <teblum@...> wrote:

                    > Take a close up of the ends, where you run a loop through the
                    > "casing". I'm looking for an alternative to whipping.

                    Have you tried the double sheet bend?

                    Ralph

                  • teblum
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                      I have no idea what a "double sheet bend" is. If you mean the knot, I
                      have no problem with whipping and hanging successfully. It doesn't
                      come apart.

                      I just always end up with a tight (high) spot in the middle of the
                      hammock after using it for a while. My theory is that the fabric slips
                      through the whipping. It's just an untested theory at this point.

                      Tom

                      > On 11/28/06, teblum <teblum@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Take a close up of the ends, where you run a loop through the
                      > > "casing". I'm looking for an alternative to whipping.
                      >

                      > Have you tried the double sheet bend?
                      >
                      > Ralph

                    • mrbyer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                        double sheet bend with photo:

                        http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/sheetbend.htm

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@...> wrote:

                        > I have no idea what a "double sheet bend" is. If you mean the knot, I
                        > have no problem with whipping and hanging successfully. It doesn't
                        > come apart.
                        >
                        > I just always end up with a tight (high) spot in the middle of the
                        > hammock after using it for a while. My theory is that the fabric slips
                        > through the whipping. It's just an untested theory at this point.
                        >
                        > Tom
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On 11/28/06, teblum <teblum@> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Take a close up of the ends, where you run a loop through the
                        > > > "casing". I'm looking for an alternative to whipping.
                        > >

                        > > Have you tried the double sheet bend?
                        > >
                        > > Ralph

                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 28, 2006
                          before bending the hammock to tie, try pulling the sides an inch or so
                          tighter than the middle. The double sheet bend makes experimentation
                          easy.

                          Ralph

                          On 11/28/06, teblum <teblum@...> wrote:
                          > I have no idea what a "double sheet bend" is. If you mean the knot, I
                          > have no problem with whipping and hanging successfully. It doesn't
                          > come apart.
                          >
                          > I just always end up with a tight (high) spot in the middle of the
                          > hammock after using it for a while. My theory is that the fabric slips
                          > through the whipping. It's just an untested theory at this point.
                          >
                          > Tom
                          >
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On 11/28/06, teblum <teblum@...> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Take a close up of the ends, where you run a loop through the
                          > > > "casing". I'm looking for an alternative to whipping.
                          > >

                          > > Have you tried the double sheet bend?
                          > >
                          > > Ralph

                        • jonas4321
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006

                            > before bending the hammock to tie, try pulling the sides an inch or so
                            > tighter than the middle. The double sheet bend makes experimentation
                            > easy.

                            Do yourself a favor and make your double sheet bends slipped (instead
                            of sending the end of the webbing through the second time, fold it
                            over and put a loop through). This will make it lots easier to untie
                            as you experiment, or if you want to wash your hammock, or dry it, or
                            (insert personal reason here). After you've spent a few nights in the
                            hammock, any knot you have tied there will be pretty snug. The slipped
                            version gives you an easier 'undo' feature (CTRL-Z for you Windows
                            geeks out there).

                            I do gotta echo the choice of a double sheet bend, it's easier to
                            untie then whipping. To me, it's also easier to feel like I can trust
                            it not to come undone, unlike whipping, which depends on my skill at
                            doing it tight enough. One nice thing about bends is that they tighten
                            up under loads.

                            Pics of the slipped double sheet bend are under Jonas4321 in the
                            Photos section. Ignore the fact that I attach a loop, you can attach
                            one end of your webbing to the hammock the same way.

                            Jonas
                          • teblum
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                              -Okay, guys. I'm always ready to try new stuff.

                              Re. the double sheet bend.

                              Is the "larger line" the bunched up hammock end itself?

                              If so, I got it.

                              Also I got it re. the slipped double bend part. That's a good tip.
                              Don't need the bos'n spike near as often with that veriation.

                              Tom

                              - In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > before bending the hammock to tie, try pulling the sides an inch or so
                              > > tighter than the middle. The double sheet bend makes experimentation
                              > > easy.
                              >
                              > Do yourself a favor and make your double sheet bends slipped (instead
                              > of sending the end of the webbing through the second time, fold it
                              > over and put a loop through). This will make it lots easier to untie
                              > as you experiment, or if you want to wash your hammock, or dry it, or
                              > (insert personal reason here). After you've spent a few nights in the
                              > hammock, any knot you have tied there will be pretty snug. The slipped
                              > version gives you an easier 'undo' feature (CTRL-Z for you Windows
                              > geeks out there).
                              >
                              > I do gotta echo the choice of a double sheet bend, it's easier to
                              > untie then whipping. To me, it's also easier to feel like I can trust
                              > it not to come undone, unlike whipping, which depends on my skill at
                              > doing it tight enough. One nice thing about bends is that they tighten
                              > up under loads.
                              >
                              > Pics of the slipped double sheet bend are under Jonas4321 in the
                              > Photos section. Ignore the fact that I attach a loop, you can attach
                              > one end of your webbing to the hammock the same way.
                              >
                              > Jonas

                            • Sandy Kramer
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                                wrote:

                                > Holy Hammocks, Batman! We need PICTURES!!!

                                ditto...

                                PS Don't try it in Florida without no see 'um mesh!
                              • jonas4321
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "teblum" <teblum@...> wrote:

                                  > -Okay, guys. I'm always ready to try new stuff.
                                  >
                                  > Re. the double sheet bend.
                                  >
                                  > Is the "larger line" the bunched up hammock end itself?

                                  Yes.

                                  Just remember, the "loose" end of the hammock must end up on the same
                                  side of the finished bend as the bitter end (free end) of the rope or
                                  webbing. They must exit the same side. If they exit opposite sides,
                                  you'll have a danger of the bend slipping.

                                  Sorry, that hurt my head just re-reading it.

                                  A properly tied sheet bend has both free ends of the ropes on the same
                                  side of the finished bend. If you imagine the hammock being one of the
                                  ropes, you'll get what I mean.

                                  Here's a web page that has a picture of the knot (um, bend):

                                  http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/double_sheet_bend/double_sheet_bend.gif

                                  Jonas
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                                    Hangers:

                                    I've added a series of photos of my "Dream Hammock" to my album: Bear's Pix. As you may recall, this is a three-layer hammock patterned after Tom Claytor's "Mosquito Hammock" but with no zippers.

                                    For these photos, I replaced the one-foot loop of cord in the casing with some long tubular nylon straps so I could spread the ends out flat.

                                    I think the photo captions explain the construction fairly well. The photos with the hammock hung show how the netting presses itself against the body of the hammock.

                                    I took it out to Myakka River State Park this weekend (Saturday night) for a test run. It worked well, but not perfectly.

                                    I spent a lot more time fussing with the netting than I'd have liked to. It tended to lay against my face from the side. If I make a V2 of the hammock, I might make the lifting grossgrain straps 18 inches wide and add loops at the ends, so I can put a stick between the end loops to spread the netting.

                                    Also, If you roll over on your side, there's a risk the netting will make a gap immediately opposite your face. I think this is because the tension caused by the shock cord running underneath puts the entire edge of the netting under tension -- normally a good thing. But that tight edge wants to be below your shoulder when you're on your back for best sealing. When you're on your side -- it has nothing to snap around.

                                    But once I put on a sleeping cap and my poncho liner, the netting stayed away from me. Even when I rolled, there were no gaps. No bites in the morning. Hooray!

                                    Maybe I was just too sensitized to the potential problems and consequently fussed too much. Once I was asleep, it seemed to handle itself without my intervention.

                                    As it stands, the hammock is 1 lb, 4 oz. I think even lighter materials could be used for the body. I'll bet it could be made under a pound.

                                    Bear
                                    <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=8969804/grpspId=1705065843/msgId=16436/stime=1164650894/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                                  • Jeff
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                                      Great pics, Bear...looks like an excellent project.

                                      Maybe if you sewed a small strip of elastic, maybe 3" long, right
                                      where the netting sags onto your face, it would tighten it up enough
                                      to keep it off your face.

                                      Also, I think you may have discussed this before but I don't remember
                                      the details. On the close-up pic of your rings attachment, is that
                                      just a cord holding the rings, then the webbing passes through it?
                                      Has that been strong enough to hold you well w/o slipping? And it's
                                      easy to undo in the morning?

                                      Jeff
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                                        Jeff:

                                        If you mean the photo titled "Rings close up" then what you're looking at is the stock configuration of a "Travel Hammock."

                                        It's a single layer of parachute nylon with a casing. They use 7 or 8 mm prussik cord through the casing. I attached my two rings using a Lark's head hitch -- didn't even have to untie the stock loop.

                                        And yes, it holds just fine and is easy to adjust or release in the morning.

                                        Some folks can't find the right combination of webbing and rings to make it work without slipping, but I don't have that problem. (Maybe it's got something to do with my body weight?)

                                        All that happens is that the surface of the webbing gets either really compressed or hot or something that makes it a bit shiny. But that doesn't seem to impact the operation much.

                                        If you look at the "Ring and toggle" photo, that method seems even better to me. And you'll notice that topologically, the ring and toggle is the same as a common ladder buckle.

                                        I'd like to be the first to advance the theory that if we could find a sufficiently thick ladder buckle, that's all we'd need for a simple, adjustable strap system. I've tried it with a wire ladder buckle of about 1/8 inch gauge wire, but the force just bends the middle wire in. Once the webbing goes flat, it starts to slip.

                                        Bear

                                      • Ralph Oborn
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                                          OK I think I understand now?????

                                          1) By using the two clips on the bugnet you create a "virtual" ridgeline to
                                          suspend the net.
                                          2) would a couple more underbody loops help keep the net tight around your
                                          shoulers?

                                          3) I like the straps, I'm gonna try them.

                                          Ralph

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
                                            Ralph:

                                            Yes, you've got it right.

                                            I've been thinking about ways to improve the seal as well. I'm loath to add any more clips that have to be undone and redone to get in an out. It's supposed to be at least as easy as using a zipper.

                                            However, I'm considering experimenting with two puller straps, maybe around 1/3 the way along the sides, rather than one in the middle. That might be an acceptable compromise between solid sealing and ease of entry.

                                            Bear

                                          • Cara Lin Bridgman
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 6, 2006
                                              Taking a look at your dream hammock, my first thought was two puller
                                              straps, too. Placed just as you state below.

                                              But, the I began to wonder about this alternative: What if you used
                                              twice the width of mosquito netting. The netting would run from halfway
                                              underneath, around the top, and back to halfway underneath. The netting
                                              would only be sewn to the hammock at the casings. The rest of it
                                              would be loose. Having the ends sewn to the casing, may keep the net
                                              wrapped around you. So, all you'd have to do is pull the net up to
                                              climb in and out, no calisthenics to connect puller straps underneath
                                              you. That's the theory, but I probably do not have enough real-world
                                              experience to predict how well it will work. For all I know, the net
                                              would wind up as a rope over your head.

                                              If this works, it would allow you to eliminate the puller straps all
                                              together. The biggest disadvantage I see so far is that this will
                                              prevent you from flipping the hammock over for a net-free night (among
                                              other uses). This might be solved with bungies and mitten-hooks (rather
                                              like installing a JRB quilt on the wrong side) instead of sewing the
                                              loose halves into the underside of the hammock casing.

                                              CL