hi!

  • brindon_john
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2006
      Hello everyone!

      I am really interested in hammock camping and ultralight backpacking.
      Have you guys tried hammock camping in the tropics and in dense jungle
      areas?

      I was also wondering if I can make a hammock with the nylon cloth used
      in parachutes and nylon ropes used for wall climbing. And if I can use
      the same material for the tarp.

      I hope you guys could help me out. Thanks in advance!

      -brindon
    • Nathan Denn
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2006
        brindon,

        Welcome to the group! My first real overnight hammocking experience was this past February in the Malaysian jungle. I had never been to the jungle before and let's say the experience was "different". I liked it.

        It is possible to build a hammock from the materials you listed. However, I think it may be cheaper to buy a hammock from the store. There are many inexpensive hammocks out there made from parachute nylon. Check out campmor.com as there are several hammocks for sale there.

        Nate
        Eagle Scout, WFR, NOLS Alumni

      • renejosejpadro
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
          Hi!
          I read in the archives that "Brindon_john" was asking for suitable
          materials for camping hammock in tropics. I lived in the Phillipines
          and have been making camping hammocks for several months now (speer
          type). The material i used for hammock body is nylon taffeta. It is
          not a "rip-stop" type. There are no reinforcing strands that are found
          in rip-stop nylon but you can remedy this by using two layers for your
          hammock.It's cheap, about PhP50 per meter@ 1.5m width (thats about 1
          usUS$). The material is quite strong, breathable, and does not stretch
          (if layered). Dries fast too. Ive seen a hammock using this materials
          (in camo color) being sold by a military contractor in the Island of
          Mindanao (remember the Abu Sayaff?). If it is of interest to anybody,
          the communist rebels in the philippines are using home made hammocks
          out of ricesack for many years now. A cheap waterproof/water repellent
          material for rainfly/tarp is also available known locally as
          waterproof tafetta. Usually this material comes in a solid color with
          silver or gray flipside (cheap, Php65 or US$1.10 per meter). Ive been
          using hammocks and rainfly made out of this material for many months
          now (even during tropical downpour)and found them strong and reliable
          for use in tropical climates.
          hope to hear from you!

          Rene