Re: If a tree falls in the woods..

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      Chicken!!! Coy Boy throwin rocks from the safty of his living room.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
      > Ed and I had planned to hike Mt. Mitchell this weekend, spending
      the night n
      > ear the top and coming home today. Yesterday morning's
      thunderstorm, drenching
      > rains and forecasted winds of 80 mph on top of the mountain
      changed those
      > plans! After a fun visit to Linville Caverns, we walked the mile
      up Table Rock
      > from the parking lot, enjoying the sun which was finally peeking
      out from the
      > clouds. The wind was pretty fierce and we were still a few
      thousand feet lower
      > than our original destination. Sitting on the rocks on top of the
      mountain was
      > well worth any discomfort the wind brought, but I was glad we had
      modified
      > our plans.
      >
      > Since I was still craving a night in the hammock, we found a
      pulloff in the
      > forest and hunted for a place to hang the hammocks for the night.
      After a short
      > search, narrowing it down from a few options, we settled on three
      appropriate
      > trees and set up the two hammocks side by side. We're finally
      getting the
      > two tarp technique figured out, if we can only remember what we
      did the last
      > time! (you can see pics under Ed's Doubles in the photo section -
      the ones from
      > yesterday aren't posted yet)
      >
      > After all this hard work, a short nap was in order but, alas, was
      not to be.
      > As we settled down, we heard the cracking of a BIG tree nearby.
      Since this
      > definitely deserved a closer look, we got up and saw that, while
      we were in no
      > danger, the tree still hadn't fallen all the way but was being
      held up by some
      > smaller trees. As we watched, the wind gusts rocked the tree and
      then,
      > finally, sent it crashing to the ground! WOW - that was loud!
      That's when we
      > realized this wasn't a dead tree, but a LIVE tree! Apparently
      beetles had eaten a
      > weak spot in the trunk about 20 feet off the ground and weakened
      it enough that
      > the gusts sent it toppling. I had heard trees fall in the middle
      of the night,
      > and we all know Ed's checkered history with falling trees, but it
      was quite a
      > surprise to see one crash down in broad daylight with clear
      skies. That was
      > the excitement for the night, we thought.
      >
      > After dinner we settled back into the hammocks for the night. When
      I got up
      > to readjust mine, Ed was nice enough to point out that
      the "double" tree I had
      > my foot tied to was actually one live tree and one dead tree.
      hmmmm. Well,
      > it'll be fine, really it will. After all, I'm tied to the live
      one, not the dead
      > one. He settled down to a deep sleep with no clue that I was
      lying awake
      > feeling the hammock shudder each time the gusting wind knocked the
      dead tree
      > against the live tree. So, over the next hour and a half, I
      worked myself up into
      > a state of extreme anxiety, all the while trying to convince
      myself that this
      > tree had been dead for a very long time and hadn't fallen yet.
      Besides, what
      > are the odds of two trees falling in that close a range in one
      day. Slim,
      > right? But, what if this is a premonition and I am ignoring it?
      Would Ed at least
      > survive to tell my family how I had been pierced by a falling
      tree? He's got
      > an affinity for falling trees and hadn't been hit by one yet;
      perhaps I would
      > be protected by proximity? Luckily, before I self-destructed, he
      woke up and
      > made the mistake of asking how I was. Within 15 minutes, we were
      packed up and
      > on the road home. What a guy! We even stopped to check out the
      Brown
      > Mountain Lights on the way home, but the ghosts apparently all had
      Saturday night

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
        Message
        Wow, if this keeps up no one will ever go hammock camping with me again!  That's two BIG falling trees in the last 4 months!  I'd like to think it's two once-in-a-lifetime events practically back to back.  Maybe I'm jinxed--or maybe I'm just lucky!  Makes me wonder what's going to happen next weekend.  Maybe I shouldn't be giving advice to others--but: Be safe out there....Ed

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
          Message
          I'd hammock camp with you ANY time!!!  I like adventure! <grin>

          Jodi who is blonde - there's a REASON she's blonde LOL
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
            Message
            God bless ya, Jodi! :)