Expander for Pea Pod (Just a thought...)

  • B D
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2006
      Ed: I'm slowing tweaking my winter setup and came with a thought I'd like to share...Have you thought about an expander for your Pea Pod so that the girth can be increased and adjusted in order to avoid compressing it's loft? By expanding it, there's no limit as to materials available for additional warmth. I'm thinking about mating the velcro with an additional piece of stuffed material in order to not lose warmth effectiveness and the expander could have secondary usage as a pillow or feet warmer when not used. I hope this doesn't read too stupid.
      My overstuff Pea Pod is turning to be the best piece of winter equiptment I've obtained in a long time. Thanks. BDave

    • Ed Speer Speer Hammocks
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
        Good idea BD. I'll give it some more thought over thanksgiving! I have
        had some customers who suggested a similar idea, ie they wanted something
        with more girth to accomodate more added insulation for even colder
        camping. It should be easy to design & make. And with the upcoming
        Springer Mtn campout, very timely! Thanks for the suggestion....Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List
        Author, Hammock Camping book
        Editor, Hammock Camping newsletters
        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        ed: I'm slowing tweaking my winter setup and came with a thought I'd like
        > to share...Have you thought about an expander for your Pea Pod so that the
        > girth can be increased and adjusted in order to avoid compressing it's
        > loft? By expanding it, there's no limit as to materials available for
        > additional warmth. I'm thinking about mating the velcro with an
        > additional piece of stuffed material in order to not lose warmth
        > effectiveness and the expander could have secondary usage as a pillow or
        > feet warmer when not used. I hope this doesn't read too stupid.
        > My overstuff Pea Pod is turning to be the best piece of winter
        > equiptment I've obtained in a long time. Thanks. BDave
      • ptoddf
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
          Not a bad idea! I don't need the girth addition to my pod, but I'm
          thinking an insert might be the way to test some other options. Such
          as different venting methods/ports, a zipper entry, and a face
          opening/hood variation. Just stick it to the pod edge velcro. I like
          it!

          OTOH, if I carry through on my threat to cut the net off my HH and put
          the Speer PeaPod on it, under the ridge line, an expanded Pod might
          allow entry through the HH bottom slit without opening the top closure.
          This might be real cool. Just slide into the pod without having to open
          and close the long seam each time.

          This might work, what do you think? Since I never need the HH net
          anyway, I have nothing to lose.

          Best, Todd in CC.
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 22, 2006
            Todd no need to drastically alter your HH, you can buy a Travel
            Hammock (top entry, no bug net) for less than $30 all day long. Or
            you could make a simular type for even less.

            Jamie in AZ