Winter Hammocking and Spindrift

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 19, 2006
      My current hammock setup is a ZHammock (design by Risk at
      http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm). I use a bugnet tube
      (pics in Jonas4321) for times when bugs might be around. I use a
      variety of tarps, usually strung in a diamond-shape.

      I will be doing more winter hammocking this year than normal, and
      while I have not run into the problem of spindrift yet, I want to
      experiment and design something that would protect from fine snow
      blowing in and depositing itself on my hammock (and on me). I am not
      really looking for more insulation at this point, I am comfortable
      with what I have.

      I was thinking of replacing the bugnet tube with a spindrift tube,
      made with 1.1 oz uncoated ripstop. I would make it the same as my
      bugnet tubes with drawstrings on either end, but want to get some
      opinions on this.

      Do you think that uncoated 1.1 oz ripstop would be breathable enough
      not to have my breath condense inside, or should I add some 'windows'
      of Noseeum to let this thing breathe more? I have plenty of both lying
      around.

      This is probably a question that winter tent campers could best
      answer, do you find that Noseeum windows provide enough breathability
      to stop the buildup of frost inside the tent? Or should I leave some
      open windows on the thing (no Noseeum)? Or maybe just leave the ends
      open (not drawn shut)?

      Or do you think that a spindrift tube would be more trouble than it's
      worth?

      Thanks.

      Jonas
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 19, 2006
        Your spindrift tube sounds like the hammock sock I made. It's 1.1oz
        DWR with a drawstring at one end and a small hole at the other end.
        http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html

        I haven't had any condensation problems with it but I haven't had it
        in sub-freezing temps yet. Since it's a light DWR treatment it isn't
        very water resistant, and a bit of windblown rain under the tarp wet
        it out once...better that than my quilt, though. If you don't use a
        ridgeline to keep the sides pretty steep, the spindrift can settle on
        top of you and melt, eventually wetting it out if it's not a high-
        quality DWR treatment.

        But I think the hammock sock or bivy or spindrift tube or whatever you
        want to call it is a good idea for winter camping. It also creates
        another layer of dead air space between the wind and your insulation.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 19, 2006
          i like the idea of something along the lines of what some people have done by replacing the net on a speer hammock w/ either untreated or DWR treated 1.1 nylon. very little extra weight & the rigeline gives it that a-frame shape that would shed spindrift.
          i`ve not had any personal experiance w/ this yet, but others have talked about it. they said they had no real problem w/ condensation/frost. ...tim

          jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote: My current hammock setup is a ZHammock (design by Risk at
[...]

          .

        • jonas4321
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 20, 2006
            Jeff/Tim-

            The Hammock Sock version 1 (thanks for that link) is what I have in
            mind. Since I never know which end is the head end in my ZHammock
            (part of the beauty of that design, thank you Risk!), I would want the
            two ends the same / interchangeable.

            Yes, I use a ridgeline. I was thinking the same thing, that the steep
            "roof" on the tube with the ridgeline would shed spindrift quickly.

            I was also thinking that the extra dead air space would be a benefit,
            but I am not counting on it (I'll insulate otherwise).

            I also hope that this can be stowed in my homemade skins in place of
            the bugnet tube.

            Time to get out the sewing machine!
          • terry_and_pearl
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 20, 2006
              You might want to look at Hennesy's site - he sells an overcover for
              his hammocks. It has a hole at the head end to let the breath escape.
              Since the HH has a ridgeline, the overcover sits on the ridgeline. The
              overcover traps a dead air space and makes the inside somewhat warmer
              also. But the overcover he sells would act for the HH just as you want
              for the spindrift.

              Getting the hole over the head for the HH isn't a problem since it is
              asymmetrical.
            • rkmont
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 21, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                > My current hammock setup is a ZHammock (design by Risk at
                > http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm).

                My ZHammock is my favorite!(Thanks Risk)

                > I was thinking of replacing the bugnet tube with a spindrift tube,
                > made with 1.1 oz uncoated ripstop. I would make it the same as my
                > bugnet tubes with drawstrings on either end, but want to get some
                > opinions on this.
                >
                > Do you think that uncoated 1.1 oz ripstop would be breathable enough
                > not to have my breath condense inside, or should I add some 'windows'
                > of Noseeum to let this thing breathe more? I have plenty of both lying
                > around.

                In October I got my sister to sew me a hammock sock (thanks Jeff)
                while I was visiting the family. I used $1.00 DWR I found at Wal Mart
                3 years ago (my first homemade hammock). I used Jeff's design and it
                worked great! I'll post pics soon.

                I've used it on two Scout campouts since. The first was 68% at night
                on a lake shore and I was comfortable in thermals and no quilt. It
                really cut the wind (chill). I had it pulled up to my shoulders. The
                second was the Jax Jaguar Scout day. We sleep on the Jags practice
                field (artificial turf) Saturday night. They let me hang on the fence
                in the corner of the field (our third year there, so they know me
                now). It went to 48% that night and I had the sock pulled up farther,
                with only a dinner plate sized opening at the head end. I used my
                sleeping bag as a quilt and wore thermals again. It was toasty.

                My Scouts and other leaders just shake their heads at me and don't
                believe I could be warm. But after 3 1/2 years of watching me hang a
                hammock, they are used to my "craziness". I have only been able to
                convert one other leader. Some boys will use them in the summer, but
                not for any cold weather.

                Bob
                Eagle Scout, Scoutmaster,
                hammock hanger (wish I could steal that trailname but it is taken!)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 21, 2006

                    > bob... i recently joined a friend & the scout troop he helps lead in
                    GA. for an overnighter. i was glad to see a couple of the boys using
                    hammocks.
                    > ...tim

                    Tim... I'll keep working on my boys. I haven't given up on them yet!

                    Bob

                  • rkmont
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 21, 2006
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rkmont" <monty215@...> wrote:
                      > now). It went to 48% that night and I had the sock pulled up farther,
                      > with only a dinner plate sized opening at the head end. I used my
                      > sleeping bag as a quilt and wore thermals again. It was toasty.

                      Opps... I forgot to mention the Neat Frost pad (thanks Ranger Rick)
                      that was between the zhammock layers.... And dang if that degree
                      symbol don't look funny. Must be an IO error....

                      Bob
                      Eagle Scout, Scoutmaster,
                      hammock hanger (wish I could steal that trailname but it is taken!)
                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 21, 2006
                        And dang if that degree
                        symbol don't look funny. Must be an IO error....

                        Set your numlock on then hold the alt key while hitting 2,4,8, sequntially
                        on the numeric pad. °

                        Ralph

                      • rkmont
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 22, 2006

                          > And dang if that degree
                          > symbol don't look funny. Must be an IO error....
                          >
                          > Set your numlock on then hold the alt key while hitting 2,4,8,
                          sequntially
                          > on the numeric pad. °
                          >

                          > Ralph

                          Thanks Ralph. I used to know all the ASCII codes but haven't used them
                          in a long time. At work when we talk about IO errors, we usually mean
                          "idiot operator" error instead of "input output" error. :)

                          Bob
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 22, 2006
                            thanks ralph. i had to try it, cauz i thought you`s pulling our leg° but it worked°
                            cool°
                            ...tim°
                            Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: And dang if that degree
                            symbol don't look funny. Must be an IO error....

                            Set your numlock on then hold the alt key while hitting 2,4,8, sequntially
                            on the numeric pad. °

                            Ralph

                          • Tom Blum
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 22, 2006
                              Amen to the pad between the zhammock layers!!! I stumbled onto it in my quest for warm comfort.

                              I believe I'm going to try an additional 48 inch long piece, sideways in the shoulder to hip area. Like Sgt. Rock's "X pad", but not fastened together unless experience proves this necessary

                              (my hammock is BIG. 118 x 57.) I believe it will wrap without wrinkling for that distance.

                              Tom
                              > now). It went to 48% that night and I had the sock pulled up farther,
                              > with only a dinner plate sized opening at the head end. I used my
                              > sleeping bag as a quilt and wore thermals again. It was toasty.

                              Opps... I forgot to mention the Neat Frost pad (thanks Ranger Rick)
                              that was between the zhammock layers.... And dang if that degree
                              symbol don't look funny. Must be an IO error....

                              Bob
                              Eagle Scout, Scoutmaster,
                              hammock hanger (wish I could steal that trailname but it is taken!)

                            • Tod Massa
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 22, 2006
                                My son and I are scouts..I've been hammocking about 18 months now, Zach
                                not quite as long. 31F at night last weekend and no complaints. He uses
                                a ENO single nest and a 0F down bag, thermarest and Noah's Tarp. I now
                                use a ZHammock that I made, Army Surplus CCF, custom SPE, homemade
                                quilt, underquilt (it was actually a prototype using wally world quilt
                                batting), and homemade tarp.

                                We have one other boy in the troop
                                that hammocks occasionally. However, on Ordeal weekends and other OA
                                events, I do see a lot more hammocks out there, more boys than adults.

                                tod

                                rkmont <monty215@alltel. net> wrote: -.

                                I've used it on two Scout campouts since. The first was 68% at night

                                on a lake shore and I was comfortable in thermals and no quilt. It

                                .

                                My Scouts and other leaders just shake their heads at me and don't

                                believe I could be warm. But after 3 1/2 years of watching me hang a

                                hammock, they are used to my "craziness". I have only been able to

                                convert one other leader. Some boys will use them in the summer, but

                                not for any cold weather.

                                Bob

                                Eagle Scout, Scoutmaster,

                                hammock hanger (wish I could steal that trailname but it is taken!)

                                .

                                ------------ --------- --------- ---

                                Sponsored Link

                                Rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Loan for $1698/mo - Calculate new house payment

                                <!--

                                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                #ygrp-text{
                                font-family:Georgia;