Newbie's Frustraition!!.....lol

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2006
      Hello all im new to the group and to hammock camping. I have slept in
      hammocks before (just the net type ones). But now im looking to buy a
      camping one for me. I live in Western MA, the AT is basically in my
      backyard. I am looking to do 4 season camping with the hammock. My
      frustraition is that i cant seem to decide on one to get. I am more of
      a side and belly sleeper than a back sleeper. Ive looked at the
      Speers, Hennessys, and Also the DD hammocks. right now im leaning
      toward the Hennessy Expedition Asym. but im not sure on the entry
      method if i like it or not. So any help or suggestions will be greatly
      apprieciated.

      Thanks all
      kb1hzm

      Frank
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2006
        Welcome to hanging! I think most people are satisfied with either the
        HH or the Speer - just a difference in style. Personally, I think my
        homemade Speer-types are more comfortable than the HH, but the bottom-
        entry is so convenient for buggy weather that I usually take my HH in
        those conditions. The biggest downside to the HH for me is that I
        can't reach my stuff while laying in the hammock...from the Speer-
        types I can even cook from inside the hammock.

        So really, it's just a style thing. Both are great camping hammocks.

        Jeff
      • Brian Neeley
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2006
          Frank <kb1hzm@...> wrote: > Hello all im new to the group and to hammock camping. I have slept in
          > hammocks before (just the net type ones). But now im looking to buy a
          > camping one for me.

          I've camped in one of those before. Look in the photos in the 'Brian Neeley's gear' folder. No bug net and not a single bug bite (This was also at the peak of the cicidas during the 17 year cycle).

          > My frustraition is that i cant seem to decide on one to get. I am more of
          > a side and belly sleeper than a back sleeper.

          I sleep on my stomach at home in bed. I sleep strictly on my back in a hammock. You may too.

          > Ive looked at the Speers, Hennessys, and Also the DD hammocks. right now
          > im leaning toward the Hennessy Expedition Asym. but im not sure on the
          > entry method if i like it or not. So any help or suggestions will be greatly
          > apprieciated.
          That's the hammock I finally got. I can't comment on any of the others, but I do love my Hennessy. I can't say much on 4 season camping either. I know you can be froze out of a hammock if you don't have proper insulation. If I could afford it, I would buy a Jacks R Better (no experience with any underquilts, but they (JRB) do seem to have a quality product, and some on this list swear by them).
          Just my $.02
          Brian Dale Neeley

          ._,_.___