Re: I need help!!

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 1, 2003

      With my HH original I stayed dry through several T-Storms but never
      dealt with winds like you mention. First line of defence would be
      finding a more protected area. In T-Storm I want in a clump of
      smaller trees to lessen the chance of lightning strikes. If
      possible this would also be in a fairly low area or behind a ridge
      form the direction the storm is coming. But a lot of times camp is
      set up before the storms arrive. I'v heard of folks tying heavy
      objects to the fly to keep it down. Never tried that myself and
      with your track record I'd be sure is was not a sharp object. LOL
      Tying up to a big tree on the windward side would help but then
      there is that lightning we talked about. Like Jim suggested,
      sleeping sideways to the wind should help. The head and foot ends
      fo the HH and even a Speer are the highest points of the tarp. The
      sides can be pulled down really low. Lower with a Speer 8 X 10 I
      would think but low for either. I would have to set up in a field
      with only a few trees to get the kind of wind you mention and my
      camping spots are not that way. Where are you setting up?

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
      > Ok you guys, I need some help here. In my experiements with my
      > in preparation for my upcoming trip, I have slept in just about
      > imaginable weather condition you can think of. I slept in cold
      below 30
      > (fine - figured out what I needed to do to stay warm), wind, rain,
      > My problem is this......wind AND rain! Gusts upward of 50 mph.
      We had
      > a wind advisory last night and being the dedicated tester I am, I
      > decided to sleep in my hammock to experience rain and wind
      > Well, lemme tell ya something - there is a HUGE difference between
      > or wind and rain AND wind combined. I ended up soaked even tho I
      > adjusted the fly twice in the night on the side that
      kept "flapping" and
      > soaking me. Help - what do I need to look at to fix that? My
      > was setup so I was laying north to south. My feet were pointing
      to the
      > south. The wind came out of the south - the rainfly on the east
      side is
      > what gave me the problems. The part on the west did not give me
      > trouble. Another thing to keep in mind is this - the hammock had
      > left hanging in the rain for the whole day (it was dry inside -
      THAT did
      > have me impressed!) so the fly was saturated as was the tree strap
      > tie-up ropes. So I'm sure it stretched more than expected when I
      > climbed in last night. I readjusted (tightened) the rain fly
      twice -
      > moving the stake the second time in the hope that that would fix
      it It
      > did not - I woke up soaked - sleeping bag was soaked. I stayed
      warm tho
      > - yay!!!
      > Any ideas? Any questions that I may not have mentioned answers to
      > free to ask
      > Thanks!!
      > Jodi
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 23, 2003

        If you go to WallyMart they have a set of replacement tubes & pouch
        for about $4. The pouch is a little leather oblong that has a hole
        in either end which the tubing is attached to using what looks like
        a larkshead knot.

        What I did was cut the leather so I could pull the tubing off. That
        leaves a tube with a loop in the end. If you're using a grommet or
        plastic ring like the Hennessey uses on the fly then you need to get
        the ring inside the tubing loop.

        The secret is that the tubing is simply a tube. On one end they poke
        a hole in one wall of the tube. Then they lay the pouch on the tube,
        reach through the hole, grab the end of the tube and pull it through
        the hole so it ends up turning inside itself.

        It's much less difficult to do than it is to picture from this
        description though. First you'll want to soap it up to make the
        rubber slippery. Then you can grab the loop with a pair of needle-
        nose pliers and pull it back out of itself. Then you can reverse the
        process by using the needle-nose pliers again to reach through the
        hole and grab the end to catch the ring or grommet. The first time
        you do it you'll puzzle over it. The 2nd time you'll just do it.

        In fact, I don't bother pulling the tubing out when I do it. I just
        cut it off just below where it connects to the leather pouch. Then I
        poke a hole using a shish-kebab skewer about 3/4" from the end. I
        push the nose of the pliers through the open end of the tube & out
        the hole I just made. Then I pull the other end of the tube through
        the ring and then place that end in the jaws of the pliers. Then I
        pull it through and when I'm done I've got that nice neat connection
        around the ring.

        On the free end of the tube that attaches to the tie-out cord I use
        a small (1/4" dia) nylon spacer (Home Depot, 50 cents, you'll find
        them in the drawers of miscellaneous hardware) I thread the end of
        the cord through the spacer (it's a hollow nylon tube) and tie a few
        overhand knots to make it large enough not to slip through the hole
        in the spacer. I put some Crazy Glue on the knot to make sure it
        doesn't unravel. Then I soap up the nylon spacer and shove it into
        the end of the rubber tubing. You'll need to fiddle with it a bit to
        get the thing in as it's a tight fit and you'll want to make sure
        the end of the tubing comes down over the end of the spacer but once
        it's on it's not coming off again unless you roll the tubing off of
        the spacer.

        As they say, this thing is "bulletproof". I've not had any issues
        with the connections of the tubing. When I hang my hammock I tie it
        to a stake or tree with the tubing stretched. Then as the fly
        loosens up the tubing takes up the slack. I don't think using an
        elastic cord like the Hennessey's hammock tie-outs use would work
        long term as they tend to loose their stretch over time when
        regularly tied out in a stretched mode. The rubber tubing is a
        surgical grade rubber that doesn't have a problem being tied out
        stretched and then returning to it's unstretched size.

        I don't think this whole thing weighs more than a couple of ounces.