Re: If a tree falls in the woods..

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      I was suppose to hammock in the Allegheny's of PA and the high wind
      advisory made me cancel the trip. We hiked at Rickett's Glen instead
      and the number of blow downs from this past winter was amazing. Here
      the ground is too saturated from all our May rain and huge 200 year
      old trees are just going over. Also last Friday was the anniversary
      of the tornado that ran through Hickory Creek in 1986. With the
      weather so similar to 86 staying out of the woods is sometimes the
      best call. You did the right thing. Sometimes it's not about
      climbing the mountain, sometimes it's knowing when not to climb the
      mountain.

      Bob
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
        Chicken!!! Coy Boy throwin rocks from the safty of his living room.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
        > Ed and I had planned to hike Mt. Mitchell this weekend, spending
        the night n
        > ear the top and coming home today. Yesterday morning's
        thunderstorm, drenching
        > rains and forecasted winds of 80 mph on top of the mountain
        changed those
        > plans! After a fun visit to Linville Caverns, we walked the mile
        up Table Rock
        > from the parking lot, enjoying the sun which was finally peeking
        out from the
        > clouds. The wind was pretty fierce and we were still a few
        thousand feet lower
        > than our original destination. Sitting on the rocks on top of the
        mountain was
        > well worth any discomfort the wind brought, but I was glad we had
        modified
        > our plans.
        >
        > Since I was still craving a night in the hammock, we found a
        pulloff in the
        > forest and hunted for a place to hang the hammocks for the night.
        After a short
        > search, narrowing it down from a few options, we settled on three
        appropriate
        > trees and set up the two hammocks side by side. We're finally
        getting the
        > two tarp technique figured out, if we can only remember what we
        did the last
        > time! (you can see pics under Ed's Doubles in the photo section -
        the ones from
        > yesterday aren't posted yet)
        >
        > After all this hard work, a short nap was in order but, alas, was
        not to be.
        > As we settled down, we heard the cracking of a BIG tree nearby.
        Since this
        > definitely deserved a closer look, we got up and saw that, while
        we were in no
        > danger, the tree still hadn't fallen all the way but was being
        held up by some
        > smaller trees. As we watched, the wind gusts rocked the tree and
        then,
        > finally, sent it crashing to the ground! WOW - that was loud!
        That's when we
        > realized this wasn't a dead tree, but a LIVE tree! Apparently
        beetles had eaten a
        > weak spot in the trunk about 20 feet off the ground and weakened
        it enough that
        > the gusts sent it toppling. I had heard trees fall in the middle
        of the night,
        > and we all know Ed's checkered history with falling trees, but it
        was quite a
        > surprise to see one crash down in broad daylight with clear
        skies. That was
        > the excitement for the night, we thought.
        >
        > After dinner we settled back into the hammocks for the night. When
        I got up
        > to readjust mine, Ed was nice enough to point out that
        the "double" tree I had
        > my foot tied to was actually one live tree and one dead tree.
        hmmmm. Well,
        > it'll be fine, really it will. After all, I'm tied to the live
        one, not the dead
        > one. He settled down to a deep sleep with no clue that I was
        lying awake
        > feeling the hammock shudder each time the gusting wind knocked the
        dead tree
        > against the live tree. So, over the next hour and a half, I
        worked myself up into
        > a state of extreme anxiety, all the while trying to convince
        myself that this
        > tree had been dead for a very long time and hadn't fallen yet.
        Besides, what
        > are the odds of two trees falling in that close a range in one
        day. Slim,
        > right? But, what if this is a premonition and I am ignoring it?
        Would Ed at least
        > survive to tell my family how I had been pierced by a falling
        tree? He's got
        > an affinity for falling trees and hadn't been hit by one yet;
        perhaps I would
        > be protected by proximity? Luckily, before I self-destructed, he
        woke up and
        > made the mistake of asking how I was. Within 15 minutes, we were
        packed up and
        > on the road home. What a guy! We even stopped to check out the
        Brown
        > Mountain Lights on the way home, but the ghosts apparently all had
        Saturday night

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
          Message
          Wow, if this keeps up no one will ever go hammock camping with me again!  That's two BIG falling trees in the last 4 months!  I'd like to think it's two once-in-a-lifetime events practically back to back.  Maybe I'm jinxed--or maybe I'm just lucky!  Makes me wonder what's going to happen next weekend.  Maybe I shouldn't be giving advice to others--but: Be safe out there....Ed

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
            Message
            I'd hammock camp with you ANY time!!!  I like adventure! <grin>

            Jodi who is blonde - there's a REASON she's blonde LOL
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
              Message
              God bless ya, Jodi! :)