Things that go thud in the night.

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
      I had another tree fall within 50 yards of my hammock on the Linville
      Gorge trip. I heard it fall but would not have known exactly which
      tree it was (there were lots of downed trees along the hill side)
      except for the fact that it took down my bear line when it fell. The
      views along Linville Gorge were amazing.

      Dave
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
        Does anyone else see a trend here. Dave + Ed on a hike = tree falling
        nearby. Makes me leary of hiking with both yall at the same time...

        Coy Boy

        > I had another tree fall within 50 yards of my hammock on the Linville
        > Gorge trip. I heard it fall but would not have known exactly which
        > tree it was (there were lots of downed trees along the hill side)
        > except for the fact that it took down my bear line when it fell. The
        > views along Linville Gorge were amazing.
        >
        > Dave

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 18, 2006
          I was awake when it fell. Could hear it falling and had no idea of
          where (like on one of us!)it would land. Very scary!

          Steve

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 18, 2006
            i was thinking of asking ed & dave if they would happen to be free to do an overnighter on thanksgiving weekend... ummm, now i`n not so sure<G>.
            but seriously, i am planning to get out for sat night (& mabey fri night too if i go somewhere that`s not to far away, if anyone`s interrested. tim

            Coy <starnescr@...> wrote: Does anyone else see a trend here. Dave + Ed on a hike = tree falling
            nearby. Makes me leary of hiking with both yall at the same time...

            Coy Boy
            .
            ..

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 18, 2006
              DANG!

              BE afraid, Be very, VERY afraid...

              Rosaleen

              Re: Things that go thud in the night.
              Posted by: "Coy" starnescr@...<mailto:starnescr@...> starnescr
              Date: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:05 pm ((PST))

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com<mailto:hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
              wrote:

              > I had another tree fall within 50 yards of my hammock on the Linville
              > Gorge trip. I heard it fall but would not have known exactly which
              > tree it was (there were lots of downed trees along the hill side)
              > except for the fact that it took down my bear line when it fell. The
              > views along Linville Gorge were amazing.
              >
              > Dave

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 18, 2006
                but seriously, i am planning to get out for sat night (& mabey fri night too
                if i go somewhere that`s not to far away, if anyone`s interrested. tim

                I'm free, can it be somewhere out here?

                Ralph (in Idaho) :]

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 18, 2006
                  i`d love to bro... never been that far west. just can`t swing the air fair<G>.
                  and bet-cha your tempertures will be slightly lower than mine? ...tim

                  Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: but seriously, i am planning to get out for sat night (& mabey fri night too
                  if i go somewhere that`s not to far away, if anyone`s interrested. tim

                  I'm free, can it be somewhere out here?

                  Ralph (in Idaho) :]

                • Ed Speer Speer Hammocks
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 18, 2006
                    Awh Coy, you scarety cat you--afraid of falling trees in the night! As
                    you know Coy, this wasn't the first time Dave & I had a tree fall near our
                    hammocks. We're getting quite use to it actually--this time we didn't
                    even get up to see if anyone was still alive. Just fell right back to
                    sleep--Oh, the comfort of the hammock...

                    But seeing the 50' long down tree the next morning lying across our bear
                    bag rope was a bit intimating. It even brought down our food bags with
                    it! So I guess the next time I hang with Dave, I'll move my hammock a bit
                    farther away--not that I think he's jinksed or anything, but just to be on
                    the safe side....Ed

                    > Does anyone else see a trend here. Dave + Ed on a hike = tree falling
                    > nearby. Makes me leary of hiking with both yall at the same time...
                    >
                    > Coy Boy
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I had another tree fall within 50 yards of my hammock on the Linville
                    >> Gorge trip. I heard it fall but would not have known exactly which
                    >> tree it was (there were lots of downed trees along the hill side)
                    >> except for the fact that it took down my bear line when it fell. The
                    >> views along Linville Gorge were amazing.
                    >>
                    >> Dave

                  • Rosaleen Sullivan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
                      Dang, Tim-

                      Why do you have to live so far away? I'd LOVE to hook up for a weekend backpacking trip. Trouble is, it's probably a 20 hour drive to get where you are...

                      Posted by: "tim garner" slowhike@...<about:blank> slowhike
                      Date: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:39 am ((PST))

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
                        i know what you mean. i guess some people just live in the wrong state<g>.
                        i may end up going by my self. i`d just asoon not go by my self this time of year, but i haven`t got any bites on that offer<g>. ...tim

                        Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...> wrote: Dang, Tim-