Hammock Camping Re: I need help!!

  • Christina Moon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Muller" <kim004@f...>
      wrote:
      > What are the dangers of lightning while in a hammock tied between 2
      trees?

      The first answer that popped into my mind was an experience I had
      last summer right in my own back yard. We'd had some thunder and
      lightning, but nothing for about half an hour. It was very quiet and
      I was hanging out on my deck in one of my hammock chairs. All of a
      sudden I heard the loudest boom I'd ever heard, coupled with an
      incredibly bright flash of light that went horizontal to the ground
      and out in a circular direction (like when a pebble hits still
      water). Lightning had hit a tree just a short distance from my house
      and split it right down the middle.

      I felt the energy of it go through me like the proverbial lightning
      bolt that it was. It was awesome!!!

      I called a couple of neighbors, neither of whom lives close enough to
      see my house, or woods in the summer. One had heard the boom, but
      didn't see the flash of light. The other, who is about half a mile
      away through dense woods, did see the flash of light as she heard the
      boom.

      Later I went out to see the tree. It was charred from top to bottom,
      with splinters of it thrown many feet all around it. At the base of
      it was a rock in the shape of a heart, with a half shell fossilized
      into it. Needless to say, I picked that up and brought it back to
      the house, where it has a place of honor.

      So, I'd say that the worst possible danger of being in a hammock
      between two trees (besides being hit directly) would be to have a
      bolt of lightning hit one of the tie-up trees!

      Cheers!

      Christina
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        Thats closer to nature than I want to get. So if a flying slinter of
        wood did not get you I still think you would be unharmed. Don't want
        to test the theory though. Any takers?

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Christina Moon "

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
          Message
          Kim, this is an excellent question--unfortunately I've never been willing to personally test the possibilities!  Obviously anyone close to a tree being struck by lighting is likely to get seriously hurt or even killed.  I don't know of an actual case of a hammock user being hit, but I can't imagine it turning out well.  Although the scientist in me wants to argure that a hammock user would be safely isolated from the conductive tree or ground by the poor-conductive hanging ropes/straps and the nylon fabric, I do know that the electrical strike often arcs or jumps from the tree to the much-more conductive ground.  This produces the usual splittng of the tree and often the explosive fragmenting of the tree which sends deadly slivers and splinters of the tree in all directions.  Anyone unfortunate enought to be nearby, including a hammock user, can get seriously hurt.  Of course, large falling branches or trees might also be deadly.

          In addition anyone caught within the zone of arc between the tree and the ground when the charge jumps is likely to suffer deadly electricution (same phenomenon that can happen when lightening strikes a rock shelter or overhang--anyone inside can get fried).  This all makes me very wary of electrical stroms--thus I try to avoid exposed or high ground when choosing hammock sites when stroms are expected...Ed

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
            Kim,

            Dittos to all the below.

            Though I am willing to do some rather crazy testing, going out in
            lightning for the fun of it is not part of my schedule for the
            forseeable future.

            However, the scientist in me would propose the following list to
            directly answer your question:

            - crush injury (including brain)
            - perforation of body organ
            - electrocution
            - large burns
            - nomination for the Darwin Award

            Would I rather be in a hammock during an electrical storm than on the
            ground? You betcha! If those are the only two choices, I'd rather
            be lying under my quilt, with my eyes shut, when the lightning
            strikes. It might offer protection from the electrical pulse in the
            ground from a nearby strike. If a direct strike, why not be lying
            down peacefully and relaxed, instead of crouching like a ball,
            standing on my now soaked sleeping pad? I figure a direct strike
            will cause an almost immediate meeting our maker regardless.

            > Kim, this is an excellent question--unfortunately I've never been
            > willing to personally test the possibilities! Obviously anyone
            close to
            > a tree being struck by lighting is likely to get seriously hurt or
            even
            > killed. I don't know of an actual case of a hammock user being
            hit, but
            > I can't imagine it turning out well. Although the scientist in me
            wants
            > to argure that a hammock user would be safely isolated from the
            > conductive tree or ground by the poor-conductive hanging
            ropes/straps
            > and the nylon fabric, I do know that the electrical strike often
            arcs or
            > jumps from the tree to the much-more conductive ground. This
            produces
            > the usual splittng of the tree and often the explosive fragmenting
            of
            > the tree which sends deadly slivers and splinters of the tree in all
            > directions. Anyone unfortunate enought to be nearby, including a
            > hammock user, can get seriously hurt. Of course, large falling
            branches
            > or trees might also be deadly.
            >
            > In addition anyone caught within the zone of arc between the tree
            and
            > the ground when the charge jumps is likely to suffer deadly
            > electricution (same phenomenon that can happen when lightening
            strikes a
            > rock shelter or overhang--anyone inside can get fried). This all
            makes
            > me very wary of electrical stroms--thus I try to avoid exposed or
            high
            > ground when choosing hammock sites when stroms are expected...Ed

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
            05
            > 065843:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16njr0a22/*http://ads.x10.com/?
            bHlhaG9vaG0xL
            > mRhd=1054517234%
            3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065