"Grippy" and "Slick" Pad?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
      For warm weather I use a very "Grippy" 1/4" CCF pad from Speer
      Hammocks that sticks like glue to the hammock. The problem is that it
      sticks to me to, especially when using a quilt! Any suggestions for a
      lightweight way to make the top surface "slick"? I'm thinking of
      gluing a piece of sil to the top surface. Anyone have any better ideas?

      Thanks,

      Steve
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

        > For warm weather I use a very "Grippy" 1/4" CCF pad from Speer
        > Hammocks that sticks like glue to the hammock. The problem is that
        it
        > sticks to me to, especially when using a quilt! Any suggestions for
        > lightweight way to make the top surface "slick"? I'm thinking of
        > gluing a piece of sil to the top surface. Anyone have any better
        ideas?

        Get a SPE or just make a pad sleeve from DWR, maybe.

        Jeff
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
          Jeff,

          Good ideas. A pad sleeve would have to have the bottom "grippy" to
          stay in place in the hammock and the top slick so I can turn. I'll
          check my scrap box and see what I can cobble up to test.

          The SPE will probably work, with only 3 or 4 ounces added weight,
          and provide the versatility to add more pads. My only concern was
          that Ed makes the SPE to fit thicker, self inflating pads. I'll have
          to check with him to find if there would be any issue with only a
          1/4" pad.

          Thanks,

          Steve

          > Get a SPE or just make a pad sleeve from DWR, maybe.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
            Steve,

            Your problem is you want a grippy side and a slippy side, right? So,
            you don't need an SPE--that will make both sides slippy. You don't need
            silnylon--that's overkill.

            Hand stitch a sheet of ordinary thin cheap nylon to one side of the pad.
            That way one side will be grippy and the other slippy. Use big
            stitches so you don't rip up the pad. You might want the nylon to
            overlap the grippy side about an inch. You might even need to quilt the
            nylon to the center parts of the pad, because you don't want the nylon
            slipping on the pad--you want to be slipping on the nylon, right? If
            the pad's that grippy, maybe the nylon won't slip. I suppose there are
            some glues that would do the trick. I'm leery of glues because they
            tend to dry up and get stiff and crack (and add weight).

            So, your pad's thin enough you don't have problems with it bunching and
            wrinkling under you?

            CL
          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
              Steve wrote:
              > For warm weather I use a very "Grippy" 1/4" CCF pad from Speer
              > Hammocks that sticks like glue to the hammock. The problem is that it
              > sticks to me to, especially when using a quilt! Any suggestions for a
              > lightweight way to make the top surface "slick"? I'm thinking of
              > gluing a piece of sil to the top surface. Anyone have any better ideas?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Steve
              In my experience, the best insulation for warm, sticky weather is a
              Jacks 'R' Better Shenandoah Summer Quilt used as an under quilt.
              http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/SUB.htm

              Rich (no connection, just a very satisfied customer)

              PS: I'm using it now as a top quilt in conjunction with Bozeman Mt.
              Works Cocoon top and bottom (Polarguard Delta insulated clothes) inside
              a speer hammock. Outside is a Speer TopBlanket, for extra loft, inside a
              Speer PeaPod. This system was taken out last month with overnight lows
              of 41*. I didn't need the quilt at all. This weekend I'll use the same
              system on a troop campout with expected lows into the low 30's. I
              expect it to take me into the 20's, no problem. I'm totally sold on
              outside-the-hammock insulation!
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                Yup, stitching a light piece of nylon on top should work, and I'm
                sure I'd need to use some thru stitches in a quilted pattern.

                (The SPE has a grippy side and a slippery side.)

                I cut some narrow "V" slots along the edges of the pad (with circles
                at the base to help prevent tearing) and it doesn't bunch up
                uncomfortably.

                Thanks,

                Steve

                > Steve,
                >
                > Your problem is you want a grippy side and a slippy side, right?
                So,
                > you don't need an SPE--that will make both sides slippy. You
                don't need
                > silnylon--that's overkill.
                >
                > Hand stitch a sheet of ordinary thin cheap nylon to one side of
                the pad.
                > That way one side will be grippy and the other slippy. Use big
                > stitches so you don't rip up the pad. You might want the nylon to
                > overlap the grippy side about an inch. You might even need to
                quilt the
                > nylon to the center parts of the pad, because you don't want the
                nylon
                > slipping on the pad--you want to be slipping on the nylon, right?
                If
                > the pad's that grippy, maybe the nylon won't slip. I suppose
                there are
                > some glues that would do the trick. I'm leery of glues because
                they
                > tend to dry up and get stiff and crack (and add weight).
                >
                > So, your pad's thin enough you don't have problems with it
                bunching and
                > wrinkling under you?
                >
                > CL

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                  Good info. I was thinking of the Jacks 'R' Better Shenandoah Summer
                  Quilt used as an under quilt but wasn't sure it would work with my
                  Speer.

                  Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                    Let me clarify - I hope I didn't mislead you. :-\

                    I used the Jacks 'R' Better Shenandoah Summer Quilt as an under-quilt
                    with a Hennessey Hyperlight hammock , not the Speer. I prefer the
                    "spread" of the bug netting on the Hennessey for bug season. No bugs?
                    I go straight to the Speer (without netting). I like the open feeling
                    of no netting.

                    I've never tried the JRB Shen with a Speer, so I can't comment one way
                    or the other. Sorry.

                    Rich

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                      Thanks for the clarifcation, I'll have to check with the Jacks about
                      use with the Speer.

                      Steve

                      ...> wrote:

                      > Let me clarify - I hope I didn't mislead you. :-\
                      >
                      > I used the Jacks 'R' Better Shenandoah Summer Quilt as an under-
                      quilt
                      > with a Hennessey Hyperlight hammock , not the Speer. I prefer
                      the
                      > "spread" of the bug netting on the Hennessey for bug season. No
                      bugs?
                      > I go straight to the Speer (without netting). I like the open
                      feeling
                      > of no netting.
                      >
                      > I've never tried the JRB Shen with a Speer, so I can't comment one
                      way
                      > or the other. Sorry.
                      >
                      > Rich
                      >
                      > Steve wrote:
                      > > Good info. I was thinking of the Jacks 'R' Better Shenandoah
                      Summer
                      > > Quilt used as an under quilt but wasn't sure it would work with
                      my
                      > > Speer.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks!

                    • Rosaleen Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                        Steve-

                        At first glance, I think you need your SPE back. At second glance, I wonder how it is that the 1/4" foam pad isn't crumpling as you shift in the hammock. I think the SPE would roll/crumple it.

                        Over the summer, I alternately carried a 1/8" foam pad with a piece of fleece and a TorsoLite pad. I easily used the 1/8" Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad suspended under my hammock on top of the fleece under-blanket. I had a 1/2 width single faced, maybe 100 wt fleece "tunic" that I made. The long edges were hemmed and a elastic cords ran through the hems and around the top corners of the hammock. I used a Hennessy and pinned small elastic cords so that the fleece pulled out over the side tie-outs and up around the hammock sides. With a bit of finagling, I would think this could work on a Speer hammock, as well. The half-width of fleece worked great for the hammock body and as a tunic in the cool evenings. I had a zipper in the center for a neck opening, and sort of a tube sleeve that I could wear independently, with the tunic, and to keep my arms warm inside the hammock. The bare hammock material had just the right slip so that I could easily turn within the hammock. For increased warmth and wind resistance, BTW, I also suspended a mylar space blanket below the fleece one most nights.

                        Cheers!

                        Rosaleen

                        "Grippy" and "Slick" Pad?
                        Posted by: "Steve" millergear@...<mailto:millergear@...> millergear

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                          <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                          > I had a 1/2 width single faced, maybe 100 wt fleece "tunic" that I
                          > made. The long edges were hemmed and a

                          I'd really like to see pics of this project if you have any. Sounds
                          interesting.

                          Jeff
                        • Steve
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 17, 2006
                            Rosaleen,

                            I've cut shallow, narrow "V"'s along the edges and it works well in
                            my test lab (hanging from the rafters in the attic) . I reinforced
                            the base of each "V" with duct tape to prevent tearing. Before using
                            it in the field I'll need to do something more permenant. Worst
                            case with the SPE I would need to go back to 3/8" CCF for the center
                            segment.

                            I've played around a lot with under the hammock support systems for
                            a CCF. So far the only way that has worked reasonably well is to sew
                            a "pocket" for the pad. All the options attachable under hammock
                            options have been to complex and for a light summer pad to heavy.
                            Also, w/o the Speer doesn't have the HH side tieouts to provde
                            tension to keep the layers close.

                            Your under body / tunic combo sounds interesting, always looking for
                            multi use gear. Like jeff, Id like to see pix.

                            Cheers,

                            Steve
                          • Rosaleen Sullivan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 18, 2006
                              Hmm!

                              Reading this and seeing that Ed is responding to responses to my post of a few days ago, I have to think that at least one interim digest didn't arrive here, yet. It is strange to see out of sequence digest numbers lined up in my in-box, but it happens.

                              I will put pictures on my to-do list. Maybe not for this weekend, though. I need to make "sleeves" for my heavier weight tunic and run some lighter but strong shock-cord through the casings. I wish I could ditch the day job and just play with gear.

                              Actually, I E-mailed a letter to the Superintendent yesterday. The school system posted a job for a part-time secretary who is to be paid 114% to 188% more money for 54% of the time I officially put in now. Would I switch from working in a school to working in the main office for that situation? YOU BETCHA! I would have more free time and "Money talks..."

                              Wish me luck!

                              Rosaleen

                              1a. Re: "Grippy" and "Slick" Pad?
                              Posted by: "Ed Speer" ed@...<mailto:ed@...> edspeer2002
                              Date: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:46 am ((PST))

                              Steve, the SPE does work well even with a single pad of ΒΌ" thickness. Of
                              course it also works well in colder temps when you need thicker pads or want
                              to stack pads. Your 'V' notches cut into the sides of a wide CCF pad in the
                              hammock is very creative!

                              BTY, thanks again for showing me your FlexAir pillow! I like it a lot, so
                              I've decided to offer them for sale with our logo imprint-will have them in
                              Dec. So, you see, I too learned a lot form our Linville Gorge hike last
                              week! ..Ed

                              Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                              Editor, Hammock Camping News

                              Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 18, 2006
                                wrote:

                                > Thanks for the clarifcation, I'll have to check with the Jacks
                                about
                                > use with the Speer.
                                >
                                > Steve
                                >
                                > ...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Let me clarify - I hope I didn't mislead you. :-\
                                > >
                                > > I used the Jacks 'R' Better Shenandoah Summer Quilt as an under-
                                > quilt
                                > > with a Hennessey Hyperlight hammock , not the Speer. I prefer
                                > the
                                > > "spread" of the bug netting on the Hennessey for bug season. No
                                > bugs?

                                Steve,

                                The standard size JRB quilts will fit all hammocks in the under
                                quilt mode as well as work as top quilts, just not at the same
                                time...your choice.

                                Pan

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 18, 2006
                                  rosaleen... i like the sound of those numbers. hope that works out for you. that would be great for gear making & hammock camping. ...tim
                                  i also will look forward to seeing photos of that tunic.

                                  Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...> wrote:..
                                  Actually, I E-mailed a letter to the Superintendent yesterday. The school system posted a job for a part-time secretary who is to be paid 114% to 188% more money for 54% of the time I officially put in now. Would I switch from working in a school to working in the main office for that situation? YOU BETCHA! I would have more free time and "Money talks..."

                                  Wish me luck!

                                  Rosaleen..
                                  ..
                                  .

                                • Steve
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 18, 2006
                                    Pan,

                                    Thanks for the info, now I have another option to play with.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Steve

                                    > Steve,
                                    >
                                    > The standard size JRB quilts will fit all hammocks in the under
                                    > quilt mode as well as work as top quilts, just not at the same
                                    > time...your choice.
                                    >
                                    > Pan
                                  • chcoa
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 20, 2006
                                      I do the V notch thing too on my CCF pad and it has worked pretty
                                      well. I did have a little rip on my last outing but I think it from
                                      me tugging at the silly thing while on it. I wasn't paying attention
                                      when I sat down in the hammock and the foam shiffed a bit. The
                                      silly part was me trying to fix it laying down. Ultimately, and of
                                      course after I ripped it a little, I had to get my lazy butt up and
                                      readjust.

                                      I'm going to try the duct tape idea though too. Good thoughts.

                                      jamie in az