Re: [Hammock Camping] Gear Suggestions

  • CC Wayah
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
      Noah and jay,

      Even if the temps are in the lower seventies or sixties at night you most
      likely will feel a bit chilly because the daytime temps are likely to be 90
      plus that time of year.
      You will feel a significant drop of 20 digress pretty easily and some times
      it's in the 50's at night up in the hills.

      As far as your pack I'd go with a Grannet Gear internal frame pack or the
      one without an internal frame. I use the non framed pack with a really light
      weight sleeping bag base weight turns out to be around 15 pounds for me.
      4 pound packs are obsolete for hiking without needing gear for trail
      minting.. Most of the gear stores will try to sell you a whopping pack
      unless they are near the trail like Neal's gap is.

      Rogene
    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
        The Golite-Gust weighs 20 oz and is quite cavernous with the
        extension collar. Scroll down to the reviewer...he/she added pockets
        for water bottle(s)

        sandy in miami

        http://www.backcountry.com/store/GOL0017/GoLite-Gust-Pack-3600-cu-
        in.html?mv_pc=r126&CP=Froogle&CMP=SPC-Froogle&ATT=GOL0017-gustpack-
        3600cuin&GCID=C2000x025&keyword=GOL0017+gust+pack+3600+cu+in

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Noah and Jay"
        <shortstuff_n_hooch@...> wrote:

        > Tim, to be totally honest, most of the backpacking that I've done
        > over the last couple years has been done with an old Marine Corps
        > issue large Alice pack with frame. It's heavy as hell, but it was
        > during my enlistment also, so I never really gave weight a second
        > thought back then. When I was a young buck, it wasn't unusual at
        > all for me to carry a 70# pack. I just carried what I was told
        to.
        > Now that we're looking at hiking a section of the AT, I want to
        > lighten up considerably. The only real "requirements" that I have
        > of a pack are that it be affordable ($200 range), lightweight,
        > comfortable, and, if possible, I would like a sleeping bag
        > compartment to put my shelter and sleeping gear in, but this could
        > be waived if I get a pack that will hold all my stuff comfortably.
        > Bottom line? I'd like to keep it under 25# for a 10 day section
        > hike. I'm considering an ALPS Mountaineering pack called the
        Cortez
        > ( http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/Cortez.htm ). It tips the
        scale
        > just over 4# and has a total capacity of 4900 cubic inches. But
        > then again, I may just go to my local outfitter and have them fit
        me
        > with a pack that is close as possible to my needs.
        >
        > Our trip will start at Springer in early early June or so. Our
        plan
        > for now is to start hiking north as far as we can go for 10 days,
        > possibly even extending it to 12. Maybe this will be the start of
        > section hike to Katahdin for us. Stranger things have happened, so
        > who knows?
        >
        > As far as shelter is concerned, my choice is an ENO SingleNest
        > hammock and DryFly rain tarp. I'm trying to convert my hiking
        > partner, my best friend since we were in the Marines (He was a
        > corpsman in the Navy) together, over to a hammock as well. I'm
        > thinking about getting him one for Christmas. I'm still not sure
        > what to carry in June for sleeping warmth. I'm trying to keep from
        > having to carry a sleeping bag if I can, but am prepared for the
        > reality of it if need be. Any advice you or anyone else have would
        > be greatly appreciated, Tim. Thanx a mil in advance!
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > you could get a lot of opinions on that question. what kind of
        > pack have you used in the past? what kind of shelter do you plan
        > to use?
        > > what`s your pack weight averaged in the past & do you want to
        > lighten your load?
        > > i`ve been using the osprey either 60 for a year or so & i
        really
        > like it. it weighs a little over 3lbs & carrys 30 plus lbs w/
        > ease. but this comming warm season i plan to buy or make an even
        > lighter pack because my load is getting lighter.
        > > my pack weight has been 22-30 lbs lately (w/ food & water),
        but
        > should be less than 20 next summer.
        > > the pack you get depends a lot on how much you`ll be carrying.
        > if the weight of the pack is small, that will reduce your over all
        > pack weight, but if you get a pack w/ little or no suspention & try
        > to carry more weight than that pack can handle, you`ll be
        > misrible. ...tim
        > >
        > > Noah and Jay <shortstuff_n_hooch@> wrote: I am going to hike a
        > section of the AT from Springer Mtn to around the
        > > GA-NC border with a friend this spring, around the end of May or
        > so.
        > > I want to pick up a new backpack for the hike, does anyone have
        > any
        > > suggestions? We's planning on 10 days or so with an easy pace.
        > Any
        > > other gear suggestions would be appreciated! Thanx!
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • AndrĂ© Corterier
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
          Noah and Jay: A 4-lb pack is overkill. Do yourself a favor and check
          out what www.backpackgeartest.org has to show - you will find more
          information there than you can shake a Leki at. Based on the reports
          listed there then, I bought a Granite Gear Vapor Trail for myself two
          years ago. The reason was that I could afford it, it was really light
          and described by everybody who tested it as the most comfortable
          carry they'd ever had. It does not have an extra compartment for the
          bag, nor even a top lid (rolltop closure), but it has a beefy
          suspension and padding and still weighs only a little over 2 lbs. Ask
          yourself whether you're willing to forgo the extra pockets for a 2 lb-
          weight saving. It's currently listed at $ 160 at GG, you can
          probably get it cheaper elsewhere.

          I have since tested the SixMoonDesigns Essence Pack. It's an
          ultralight pack at less than a pound of weight, but it does have a
          top lid compartment (if you take a compressible summer bag, you
          should be able to fit it in there). It does require strapping a pad
          into it for load stability, but it will work with a number of pad
          options. Take a look at our reports at backpackgeartest (unter
          Packs/frameless). The manufacturer is currently advising the new
          model on his website. Maybe you can contact Ron if you're interested.

          What I mean to say is: I am certain you can find much lighter packs
          for less than 200 USD which will work very well for you. Choosing one
          should be impacted by a good idea of how much in the way of weight
          you'll be carrying in it. If you've been a heavy-weight packer
          recently, chances are you can drop a significant amount of weight in
          other areas as well, at very little or no cost at all. If you're at
          all internet-savvy, you will find much information in this regard.
          Or, feel free to contact me off-list. My experience in adopting some
          of the lightweight premises is that it's made me a much happier
          camper.

          André