Re: Hammock Camping Re: I need help!!

  • Kim Muller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      <<Keep going out in different conditions...  But be careful of the
      lightening storms! >>

      What are the dangers of lightning while in a hammock tied between 2 trees?
    • Christina Moon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Muller" <kim004@f...>
        wrote:
        > What are the dangers of lightning while in a hammock tied between 2
        trees?

        The first answer that popped into my mind was an experience I had
        last summer right in my own back yard. We'd had some thunder and
        lightning, but nothing for about half an hour. It was very quiet and
        I was hanging out on my deck in one of my hammock chairs. All of a
        sudden I heard the loudest boom I'd ever heard, coupled with an
        incredibly bright flash of light that went horizontal to the ground
        and out in a circular direction (like when a pebble hits still
        water). Lightning had hit a tree just a short distance from my house
        and split it right down the middle.

        I felt the energy of it go through me like the proverbial lightning
        bolt that it was. It was awesome!!!

        I called a couple of neighbors, neither of whom lives close enough to
        see my house, or woods in the summer. One had heard the boom, but
        didn't see the flash of light. The other, who is about half a mile
        away through dense woods, did see the flash of light as she heard the
        boom.

        Later I went out to see the tree. It was charred from top to bottom,
        with splinters of it thrown many feet all around it. At the base of
        it was a rock in the shape of a heart, with a half shell fossilized
        into it. Needless to say, I picked that up and brought it back to
        the house, where it has a place of honor.

        So, I'd say that the worst possible danger of being in a hammock
        between two trees (besides being hit directly) would be to have a
        bolt of lightning hit one of the tie-up trees!

        Cheers!

        Christina
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
          Thats closer to nature than I want to get. So if a flying slinter of
          wood did not get you I still think you would be unharmed. Don't want
          to test the theory though. Any takers?

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Christina Moon "

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
            Message
            Kim, this is an excellent question--unfortunately I've never been willing to personally test the possibilities!  Obviously anyone close to a tree being struck by lighting is likely to get seriously hurt or even killed.  I don't know of an actual case of a hammock user being hit, but I can't imagine it turning out well.  Although the scientist in me wants to argure that a hammock user would be safely isolated from the conductive tree or ground by the poor-conductive hanging ropes/straps and the nylon fabric, I do know that the electrical strike often arcs or jumps from the tree to the much-more conductive ground.  This produces the usual splittng of the tree and often the explosive fragmenting of the tree which sends deadly slivers and splinters of the tree in all directions.  Anyone unfortunate enought to be nearby, including a hammock user, can get seriously hurt.  Of course, large falling branches or trees might also be deadly.

            In addition anyone caught within the zone of arc between the tree and the ground when the charge jumps is likely to suffer deadly electricution (same phenomenon that can happen when lightening strikes a rock shelter or overhang--anyone inside can get fried).  This all makes me very wary of electrical stroms--thus I try to avoid exposed or high ground when choosing hammock sites when stroms are expected...Ed

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
              Kim,

              Dittos to all the below.

              Though I am willing to do some rather crazy testing, going out in
              lightning for the fun of it is not part of my schedule for the
              forseeable future.

              However, the scientist in me would propose the following list to
              directly answer your question:

              - crush injury (including brain)
              - perforation of body organ
              - electrocution
              - large burns
              - nomination for the Darwin Award

              Would I rather be in a hammock during an electrical storm than on the
              ground? You betcha! If those are the only two choices, I'd rather
              be lying under my quilt, with my eyes shut, when the lightning
              strikes. It might offer protection from the electrical pulse in the
              ground from a nearby strike. If a direct strike, why not be lying
              down peacefully and relaxed, instead of crouching like a ball,
              standing on my now soaked sleeping pad? I figure a direct strike
              will cause an almost immediate meeting our maker regardless.

              > Kim, this is an excellent question--unfortunately I've never been
              > willing to personally test the possibilities! Obviously anyone
              close to
              > a tree being struck by lighting is likely to get seriously hurt or
              even
              > killed. I don't know of an actual case of a hammock user being
              hit, but
              > I can't imagine it turning out well. Although the scientist in me
              wants
              > to argure that a hammock user would be safely isolated from the
              > conductive tree or ground by the poor-conductive hanging
              ropes/straps
              > and the nylon fabric, I do know that the electrical strike often
              arcs or
              > jumps from the tree to the much-more conductive ground. This
              produces
              > the usual splittng of the tree and often the explosive fragmenting
              of
              > the tree which sends deadly slivers and splinters of the tree in all
              > directions. Anyone unfortunate enought to be nearby, including a
              > hammock user, can get seriously hurt. Of course, large falling
              branches
              > or trees might also be deadly.
              >
              > In addition anyone caught within the zone of arc between the tree
              and
              > the ground when the charge jumps is likely to suffer deadly
              > electricution (same phenomenon that can happen when lightening
              strikes a
              > rock shelter or overhang--anyone inside can get fried). This all
              makes
              > me very wary of electrical stroms--thus I try to avoid exposed or
              high
              > ground when choosing hammock sites when stroms are expected...Ed

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
              05
              > 065843:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16njr0a22/*http://ads.x10.com/?
              bHlhaG9vaG0xL
              > mRhd=1054517234%
              3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065