Gear Suggestions

  • Noah and Jay
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2006
      I am going to hike a section of the AT from Springer Mtn to around the
      GA-NC border with a friend this spring, around the end of May or so.
      I want to pick up a new backpack for the hike, does anyone have any
      suggestions? We's planning on 10 days or so with an easy pace. Any
      other gear suggestions would be appreciated! Thanx!
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2006
        you could get a lot of opinions on that question. what kind of pack have you used in the past? what kind of shelter do you plan to use?
        what`s your pack weight averaged in the past & do you want to lighten your load?
        i`ve been using the osprey either 60 for a year or so & i really like it. it weighs a little over 3lbs & carrys 30 plus lbs w/ ease. but this comming warm season i plan to buy or make an even lighter pack because my load is getting lighter.
        my pack weight has been 22-30 lbs lately (w/ food & water), but should be less than 20 next summer.
        the pack you get depends a lot on how much you`ll be carrying. if the weight of the pack is small, that will reduce your over all pack weight, but if you get a pack w/ little or no suspention & try to carry more weight than that pack can handle, you`ll be misrible. ...tim

        Noah and Jay <shortstuff_n_hooch@...> wrote: I am going to hike a section of the AT from Springer Mtn to around the

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
          Tim, to be totally honest, most of the backpacking that I've done
          over the last couple years has been done with an old Marine Corps
          issue large Alice pack with frame. It's heavy as hell, but it was
          during my enlistment also, so I never really gave weight a second
          thought back then. When I was a young buck, it wasn't unusual at
          all for me to carry a 70# pack. I just carried what I was told to.
          Now that we're looking at hiking a section of the AT, I want to
          lighten up considerably. The only real "requirements" that I have
          of a pack are that it be affordable ($200 range), lightweight,
          comfortable, and, if possible, I would like a sleeping bag
          compartment to put my shelter and sleeping gear in, but this could
          be waived if I get a pack that will hold all my stuff comfortably.
          Bottom line? I'd like to keep it under 25# for a 10 day section
          hike. I'm considering an ALPS Mountaineering pack called the Cortez
          ( http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/Cortez.htm ). It tips the scale
          just over 4# and has a total capacity of 4900 cubic inches. But
          then again, I may just go to my local outfitter and have them fit me
          with a pack that is close as possible to my needs.

          Our trip will start at Springer in early early June or so. Our plan
          for now is to start hiking north as far as we can go for 10 days,
          possibly even extending it to 12. Maybe this will be the start of a
          section hike to Katahdin for us. Stranger things have happened, so
          who knows?

          As far as shelter is concerned, my choice is an ENO SingleNest
          hammock and DryFly rain tarp. I'm trying to convert my hiking
          partner, my best friend since we were in the Marines (He was a
          corpsman in the Navy) together, over to a hammock as well. I'm
          thinking about getting him one for Christmas. I'm still not sure
          what to carry in June for sleeping warmth. I'm trying to keep from
          having to carry a sleeping bag if I can, but am prepared for the
          reality of it if need be. Any advice you or anyone else have would
          be greatly appreciated, Tim. Thanx a mil in advance!

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
            Noah and Jay <shortstuff_n_hooch@...> wrote: Tim, to be totally honest, most of the backpacking that I've done
[...]

            .

            .when you go to a local outfitter, i would still suggest taking a look at the osprey either 60. it`s a good cross between a light pack & comfortable weight support. but then there`s a lot of other good packs... that`s just one that i`m personaly familiar with.
            and yep, i would defenantly plan to have a light weight sleeping bag, or more likely a quilt... even in the summer. the mountian nights can get pretty chilly at times.
            if your not familiar w/ the quilt, it`s basicly a sleeping bag w/ the zipper removed, so there`s still a footbox to pull up around your feet.
            some of the light weight summer quilts weigh around 1lb.
            if you want to know more about quilts, people in this group are very familiar w/ them. a lot of people (including myself) make ther own, either from a sleeping bag or from scratch. ...tim

          • CC Wayah
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
              Noah and jay,

              Even if the temps are in the lower seventies or sixties at night you most
              likely will feel a bit chilly because the daytime temps are likely to be 90
              plus that time of year.
              You will feel a significant drop of 20 digress pretty easily and some times
              it's in the 50's at night up in the hills.

              As far as your pack I'd go with a Grannet Gear internal frame pack or the
              one without an internal frame. I use the non framed pack with a really light
              weight sleeping bag base weight turns out to be around 15 pounds for me.
              4 pound packs are obsolete for hiking without needing gear for trail
              minting.. Most of the gear stores will try to sell you a whopping pack
              unless they are near the trail like Neal's gap is.

              Rogene
            • Sandy Kramer
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
                The Golite-Gust weighs 20 oz and is quite cavernous with the
                extension collar. Scroll down to the reviewer...he/she added pockets
                for water bottle(s)

                sandy in miami

                http://www.backcountry.com/store/GOL0017/GoLite-Gust-Pack-3600-cu-
                in.html?mv_pc=r126&CP=Froogle&CMP=SPC-Froogle&ATT=GOL0017-gustpack-
                3600cuin&GCID=C2000x025&keyword=GOL0017+gust+pack+3600+cu+in

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Noah and Jay"
                <shortstuff_n_hooch@...> wrote:

> [...]
                but
                > should be less than 20 next summer.
                > > the pack you get depends a lot on how much you`ll be carrying.
                > if the weight of the pack is small, that will reduce your over all
                > pack weight, but if you get a pack w/ little or no suspention & try
                > to carry more weight than that pack can handle, you`ll be
                > misrible. ...tim
                > >
                > > Noah and Jay <shortstuff_n_hooch@> wrote: I am going to hike a
                > section of the AT from Springer Mtn to around the
                > > GA-NC border with a friend this spring, around the end of May or
                > so.
                > > I want to pick up a new backpack for the hike, does anyone have
                > any
                > > suggestions? We's planning on 10 days or so with an easy pace.
                > Any
                > > other gear suggestions would be appreciated! Thanx!

              • AndrĂ© Corterier
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2006
                  Noah and Jay: A 4-lb pack is overkill. Do yourself a favor and check
                  out what www.backpackgeartest.org has to show - you will find more
                  information there than you can shake a Leki at. Based on the reports
                  listed there then, I bought a Granite Gear Vapor Trail for myself two
                  years ago. The reason was that I could afford it, it was really light
                  and described by everybody who tested it as the most comfortable
                  carry they'd ever had. It does not have an extra compartment for the
                  bag, nor even a top lid (rolltop closure), but it has a beefy
                  suspension and padding and still weighs only a little over 2 lbs. Ask
                  yourself whether you're willing to forgo the extra pockets for a 2 lb-
                  weight saving. It's currently listed at $ 160 at GG, you can
                  probably get it cheaper elsewhere.

                  I have since tested the SixMoonDesigns Essence Pack. It's an
                  ultralight pack at less than a pound of weight, but it does have a
                  top lid compartment (if you take a compressible summer bag, you
                  should be able to fit it in there). It does require strapping a pad
                  into it for load stability, but it will work with a number of pad
                  options. Take a look at our reports at backpackgeartest (unter
                  Packs/frameless). The manufacturer is currently advising the new
                  model on his website. Maybe you can contact Ron if you're interested.

                  What I mean to say is: I am certain you can find much lighter packs
                  for less than 200 USD which will work very well for you. Choosing one
                  should be impacted by a good idea of how much in the way of weight
                  you'll be carrying in it. If you've been a heavy-weight packer
                  recently, chances are you can drop a significant amount of weight in
                  other areas as well, at very little or no cost at all. If you're at
                  all internet-savvy, you will find much information in this regard.
                  Or, feel free to contact me off-list. My experience in adopting some
                  of the lightweight premises is that it's made me a much happier
                  camper.

                  André