Re: fabric, and old topic but I need some advice

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
      Tim Garner wrote:
      >i don`t know that condensation would be a real problem using
      >silnylon as an outer cover for the hammock body, as long as the top
      >is open or covered w/ a more breathable fabric.

      I often have a silnylon cover over the entire bottom of my hammock
      and I haven't had any condensation problems.

      Risk wrote:
      >... I have
      >considered making a travel pod with a silnylon bottom that keeps the
      >bottom of the hammock dry even in blowing rain and which can be used on
      >wet ground for an escape, or when no trees are available.

      Yeah, like that. Works fine.

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • Nathan Ruth
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
        I am also thinking about making making a travel pod as my next DIY project.
        I was thinking about using sil-nylon, and using velcro to close it up
        instead of a zipper. I was thinking about adding a small patch of netting
        above my face to control the condensation. Do you guys think that will be
        enough, or will I loose too much heat through the opening? I could just use
        ripstop but I would like the extra waterproofing.

        Nate

        Hammock Engineer
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
          Nate,

          A piece of netting over your face will work OK for all but the very
          lowest temperatures. I have thought about using such a piece in my pod.
          As to using silnylon, I do not recommend it. There is a lot of vapor
          escaping from the sleeping bag for its full length. I well remember
          unzipping the travel pod at -15 and watching the puff of steam rise into
          the canopy of trees over my head when I got up to pee in the middle of
          the night.

          I think that using silnylon on the top surface of the travel pod is
          asking for trouble. Everything inside the pod will get wet and when it
          is opened, it will all freeze pretty quickly.

          Velcro is evil in the middle of the night. It is noisy and (for me) much
          harder to fasten while I am lying in a hammock. A zipper is quick to
          close in one motion as I lie back after getting in the hammock. I do
          now use a piece of Velcro at each end to suspend the pod along the
          length of the hammock and I use a small one foot piece to fasten the two
          halves together between my head and the end of the hammock.

          Rick

          Nathan Ruth wrote:
          > I am also thinking about making making a travel pod as my next DIY project.
          > I was thinking about using sil-nylon, and using velcro to close it up
          > instead of a zipper. I was thinking about adding a small patch of netting
          > above my face to control the condensation. Do you guys think that will be
          > enough, or will I loose too much heat through the opening? I could just use
          > ripstop but I would like the extra waterproofing.
          >
          > Nate
          >
          > Hammock Engineer

          Walk Well!

          Rick (Risk)

          *********************************
          http://www.imrisk.com
          author of
          A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
          www.wayahpress.com
          *********************************
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
            i`m planning to make some thing like that to go over the down hammock i just finished.
            my plan is that the ends (about 15-20" from each end) will be water proof.
            the bottom will probably be water proof (but at least DWR).
            the top part (probably starting at the hammock`s top edge), will be 1.1 nylon w/ a DWR treatment.
            still working on a few details like the entrance part, but i belive i`m right w/ rick on the velcro thing. i`ve never sewed a zipper in anything, but then last year i`d never sewed anything really <G>. tim

            Nathan Ruth <fishfarmer316@...> wrote: I am also thinking about making making a travel pod as my next DIY project.
            I was thinking about using sil-nylon, and using velcro to close it up
            instead of a zipper. I was thinking about adding a small patch of netting
            above my face to control the condensation. Do you guys think that will be
            enough, or will I loose too much heat through the opening? I could just use
            ripstop but I would like the extra waterproofing.

            Nate

            Hammock Engineer

          • gregg
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2006
              What about making your travelpod out of uncoated 1.1 oz silnylon like
              Rick's, then spraying silicone on the bottom and ends for rain spray
              (like Ed recommends for windproofing his hammock bottoms for cool
              weather). No extra sewing of waterproof bottoms and ends to breathable
              top fabrics this way.
              My single layer silnylon hammock is still going strong by the way.
              Gregg

              Posted by: "Jeff" jwj32542@...
              <mailto:jwj32542@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20fabric%2C%20and%20old%20topic%20but%20I%20need%20some%20advice>
              jwj32542 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/jwj32542>

              Tue Nov 7, 2006 6:37 am (PST)

              I wouldn't use silnylon either. Try making a Garlington Taco
              first...take it off in the morngings and see if you have condensation
              on the inside.

              I'm going to make a TravelPod out of a waterproof/breathab
              le material,
              though...should be plenty windproof.

              Other than that, any kind of DWR would probably do a good job of
              blocking wind...it's not so easy to blow through. Even 1.1oz from the
              dollar bin.

              Jeff

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com