Re: [Hammock Camping] fabric, and old topic but I need some advice

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
      Thank you Tim and Rick.

      I would only be using this for the bottom outer layer. I'm okay on
      top so far.

      jamie

      > My Travel Pod is made of 1.1 oz ripstop. It really stops wind
      quite
      > well and when it becomes moist from my breath it soaks through the
      > fabric and dries in the wind.
      >
      > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm
      >
      > I would not use silnylon for this. At least not for the top. I
      have
      > considered making a travel pod with a silnylon bottom that keeps
      the
      > bottom of the hammock dry even in blowing rain and which can be
      used on
      > wet ground for an escape, or when no trees are available.
      >
      > Rick
      >
      > chcoa wrote:
      > > It has become quite apparent to me that my winter insluation
      system
      > > becomes less effective during windy conditions. I have an outer
      > > cover that works well to stop the wind but as a prototype I had
      > > hoped to create the same type of thing but with lighter material
      one
      > > day. That day is here and I've been looking into fabric options.
      > >
      > > Unfortunately, not all the fabric sellers list the fabric's
      ability
      > > to ward off wind in their detail sections.
      > >
      > > I'd like low weight and resonably priced, certainly less
      expensive
      > > than that cuben fiber stuff (sheesh). Windproof over just wind
      > > resistant would be ideal but, will this mean the material does
      not
      > > breath at all and will collect condensation?
      > >
      > > So far the silnylon is not looking too bad, but I'm worried
      about
      > > condensation build up, since I know silnylon has this trait.
      > >
      > > Any thoughts?
      > >
      > > thanks
      > > jamie in az
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Walk Well!
      >
      > Rick (Risk)
      >
      > *********************************
      > http://www.imrisk.com
      > author of
      > A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
      > www.wayahpress.com
      > *********************************

    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
        Tim Garner wrote:
        >i don`t know that condensation would be a real problem using
        >silnylon as an outer cover for the hammock body, as long as the top
        >is open or covered w/ a more breathable fabric.

        I often have a silnylon cover over the entire bottom of my hammock
        and I haven't had any condensation problems.

        Risk wrote:
        >... I have
        >considered making a travel pod with a silnylon bottom that keeps the
        >bottom of the hammock dry even in blowing rain and which can be used on
        >wet ground for an escape, or when no trees are available.

        Yeah, like that. Works fine.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT
      • Nathan Ruth
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
          I am also thinking about making making a travel pod as my next DIY project.
          I was thinking about using sil-nylon, and using velcro to close it up
          instead of a zipper. I was thinking about adding a small patch of netting
          above my face to control the condensation. Do you guys think that will be
          enough, or will I loose too much heat through the opening? I could just use
          ripstop but I would like the extra waterproofing.

          Nate

          Hammock Engineer
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
            Nate,

            A piece of netting over your face will work OK for all but the very
            lowest temperatures. I have thought about using such a piece in my pod.
            As to using silnylon, I do not recommend it. There is a lot of vapor
            escaping from the sleeping bag for its full length. I well remember
            unzipping the travel pod at -15 and watching the puff of steam rise into
            the canopy of trees over my head when I got up to pee in the middle of
            the night.

            I think that using silnylon on the top surface of the travel pod is
            asking for trouble. Everything inside the pod will get wet and when it
            is opened, it will all freeze pretty quickly.

            Velcro is evil in the middle of the night. It is noisy and (for me) much
            harder to fasten while I am lying in a hammock. A zipper is quick to
            close in one motion as I lie back after getting in the hammock. I do
            now use a piece of Velcro at each end to suspend the pod along the
            length of the hammock and I use a small one foot piece to fasten the two
            halves together between my head and the end of the hammock.

            Rick

            Nathan Ruth wrote:
            > I am also thinking about making making a travel pod as my next DIY project.
            > I was thinking about using sil-nylon, and using velcro to close it up
            > instead of a zipper. I was thinking about adding a small patch of netting
            > above my face to control the condensation. Do you guys think that will be
            > enough, or will I loose too much heat through the opening? I could just use
            > ripstop but I would like the extra waterproofing.
            >
            > Nate
            >
            > Hammock Engineer

            Walk Well!

            Rick (Risk)

            *********************************
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
              i`m planning to make some thing like that to go over the down hammock i just finished.
              my plan is that the ends (about 15-20" from each end) will be water proof.
              the bottom will probably be water proof (but at least DWR).
              the top part (probably starting at the hammock`s top edge), will be 1.1 nylon w/ a DWR treatment.
              still working on a few details like the entrance part, but i belive i`m right w/ rick on the velcro thing. i`ve never sewed a zipper in anything, but then last year i`d never sewed anything really <G>. tim

              Nathan Ruth <fishfarmer316@...> wrote: I am also thinking about making making a travel pod as my next DIY project.
              I was thinking about using sil-nylon, and using velcro to close it up
              instead of a zipper. I was thinking about adding a small patch of netting
              above my face to control the condensation. Do you guys think that will be
              enough, or will I loose too much heat through the opening? I could just use
              ripstop but I would like the extra waterproofing.

              Nate

              Hammock Engineer

            • gregg
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2006
                What about making your travelpod out of uncoated 1.1 oz silnylon like
                Rick's, then spraying silicone on the bottom and ends for rain spray
                (like Ed recommends for windproofing his hammock bottoms for cool
                weather). No extra sewing of waterproof bottoms and ends to breathable
                top fabrics this way.
                My single layer silnylon hammock is still going strong by the way.
                Gregg

                Posted by: "Jeff" jwj32542@...
                <mailto:jwj32542@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20fabric%2C%20and%20old%20topic%20but%20I%20need%20some%20advice>
                jwj32542 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/jwj32542>

                Tue Nov 7, 2006 6:37 am (PST)

                I wouldn't use silnylon either. Try making a Garlington Taco
                first...take it off in the morngings and see if you have condensation
                on the inside.

                I'm going to make a TravelPod out of a waterproof/breathab
                le material,
                though...should be plenty windproof.

                Other than that, any kind of DWR would probably do a good job of
                blocking wind...it's not so easy to blow through. Even 1.1oz from the
                dollar bin.

                Jeff

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com