Re: [Hammock Camping] fabric, and old topic but I need some advice

  • CC Wayah
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
      Chcoa,

      Try a goggle search of light weight windproof fabric and see what you get. I
      goggled lightweight
      waterproof fabric and that how I found out about Cubin Fiber.

      Rogene
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
        Jamie, I've found that silnylon traps excessive body moisture when place
        within a few feet over my body-it's often enough to actually drip back onto
        me! I'm currently having great success with silnylon bottom & ends with
        breathable 1.1 ripstop sides & top on a hammock wind block I'm prototyping
        right now. But I quickly learned to keep the silnylon ends (designed to
        stop blowing rain entering under the tarp ends) to a minimum to prevent
        trapping too much body moisture.

        I avoid ALL "waterproof-breathable" fabrics since all of my extensive past
        experience gave remarkably dismal results-the degree of breathability is
        just too low to justify the expense. I keep hoping that each new wonder
        fabric will live up to the promises, but..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006

          > I avoid ALL "waterproof-breathable" fabrics since all of my
          extensive past
          > experience gave remarkably dismal results-the degree of
          breathability is
          > just too low to justify the expense. I keep hoping that each new
          wonder
          > fabric will live up to the promises, but..Ed

          The best I've found for raingear is DropStoppers, but I'm hestitant
          to make something out of it b/c it's so fragile...so I haven't even
          searched to see if 2-ply MP is available. OWF had 4 ply last time I
          checked.

          But your post and Rick's got me thinking. One of the reasons I
          wanted WPB was just to protect the ends from rain. I could probably
          just use 1.1 oz DWR and spray the ends to get acceptable results.
          That would keep the middle very breathable and the weight would
          still be pretty close to most WPB fabrics.

          I would lose some of the protection for when I chose to hang w/o
          tarp...dew or quick storm before I got the tarp up...but this hasn't
          really happened to me very often so maybe I'm overplanning.

          Anyway - thoughts on just spraying the ends of a TravelPod from 1.1
          oz DWR?

          Jeff
        • CC Wayah
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
            Rick,
            Just looked over the Travel Pod.
            You've just made my thoughts on making one my self a bit easier.
            So have you measured the square on your floor for futher project guide
            lines. They seam to be even squares so counting them and placing a piece of
            masking tape where your most common measurement would be needed might save
            time making other things too. This would work like a professional marked
            cutting table saving you some time in measuring.
            have you considered making the ends of your travel pod out of sinylon for
            wet weather maybe only about six inches or so.

            CC Wayah
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
              I did and a few useful sites came up but I know this group has a lot
              of expertise in this fabric area so I wanted some real feedback. The
              websites were mostly companies selling fabrics and they don't give a
              lot of good details. :(

              jamie

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "CC Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

              > Chcoa,
              >
              > Try a goggle search of light weight windproof fabric and see what
              you get. I
              > goggled lightweight
              > waterproof fabric and that how I found out about Cubin Fiber.
              >
              > Rogene

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
                Thank you Ed. I hope your prototype goes well, maybe I'll just buy
                one. :)

                I have not had any problems with the top of me staying insulated but
                the bottom is a definite issue below about 35 if there is wind.

                I have had good luck with the Neet Sheet but it's much more heavy
                than other fabrics on the market so I want to tyr some of those.

                jamie in az