fabric, and old topic but I need some advice

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
      It has become quite apparent to me that my winter insluation system
      becomes less effective during windy conditions. I have an outer
      cover that works well to stop the wind but as a prototype I had
      hoped to create the same type of thing but with lighter material one
      day. That day is here and I've been looking into fabric options.

      Unfortunately, not all the fabric sellers list the fabric's ability
      to ward off wind in their detail sections.

      I'd like low weight and resonably priced, certainly less expensive
      than that cuben fiber stuff (sheesh). Windproof over just wind
      resistant would be ideal but, will this mean the material does not
      breath at all and will collect condensation?

      So far the silnylon is not looking too bad, but I'm worried about
      condensation build up, since I know silnylon has this trait.

      Any thoughts?

      thanks
      jamie in az
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
        i don`t know that condensation would be a real problem using silnylon as an outer cover for the hammock body, as long as the top is open or covered w/ a more breathable fabric.
        another option mite be to use 1.1 nylon but spray it w/ a DWR treatment. i belive that`s what ed does to increase wind resistantness.
        but i`m concidering using silnylon as a outer cover on bottom. ...tim

        chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: It has become quite apparent to me that my winter insluation system

        .

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
          My Travel Pod is made of 1.1 oz ripstop. It really stops wind quite
          well and when it becomes moist from my breath it soaks through the
          fabric and dries in the wind.

          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm

          I would not use silnylon for this. At least not for the top. I have
          considered making a travel pod with a silnylon bottom that keeps the
          bottom of the hammock dry even in blowing rain and which can be used on
          wet ground for an escape, or when no trees are available.

          Rick

          chcoa wrote:
          > It has become quite apparent to me that my winter insluation system
          > becomes less effective during windy conditions. I have an outer
          > cover that works well to stop the wind but as a prototype I had
          > hoped to create the same type of thing but with lighter material one
          > day. That day is here and I've been looking into fabric options.
          >
          > Unfortunately, not all the fabric sellers list the fabric's ability
          > to ward off wind in their detail sections.
          >
          > I'd like low weight and resonably priced, certainly less expensive
          > than that cuben fiber stuff (sheesh). Windproof over just wind
          > resistant would be ideal but, will this mean the material does not
          > breath at all and will collect condensation?
          >
          > So far the silnylon is not looking too bad, but I'm worried about
          > condensation build up, since I know silnylon has this trait.
          >
          > Any thoughts?
          >
          > thanks
          > jamie in az

          Walk Well!

          Rick (Risk)

          *********************************
          http://www.imrisk.com
          author of
          A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
          www.wayahpress.com
          *********************************
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
            I wouldn't use silnylon either. Try making a Garlington Taco
            first...take it off in the morngings and see if you have condensation
            on the inside.

            I'm going to make a TravelPod out of a waterproof/breathable material,
            though...should be plenty windproof.

            Other than that, any kind of DWR would probably do a good job of
            blocking wind...it's not so easy to blow through. Even 1.1oz from the
            dollar bin.

            Jeff

            > My Travel Pod is made of 1.1 oz ripstop. It really stops wind quite
            > well and when it becomes moist from my breath it soaks through the
            > fabric and dries in the wind.
            >
            > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm
            >
            > I would not use silnylon for this. At least not for the top. I
            have
            > considered making a travel pod with a silnylon bottom that keeps the
            > bottom of the hammock dry even in blowing rain and which can be used
            on
            > wet ground for an escape, or when no trees are available.
          • Dick Matthews
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
              Jamie,

              I agree with your observation.

              I wish Jacks'R'Better would offer an Epic under quilt. Maybe there is
              no green Epic.

              Just teasing Jacks.

              Dick Matthews

              chcoa wrote:

              >It has become quite apparent to me that my winter insluation system
              >becomes less effective during windy conditions. I have an outer
              >cover that works well to stop the wind but as a prototype I had
              >hoped to create the same type of thing but with lighter material one
              >day. That day is here and I've been looking into fabric options.
              >
              >Unfortunately, not all the fabric sellers list the fabric's ability
              >to ward off wind in their detail sections.
              >
              >I'd like low weight and resonably priced, certainly less expensive
              >than that cuben fiber stuff (sheesh). Windproof over just wind
              >resistant would be ideal but, will this mean the material does not
              >breath at all and will collect condensation?
              >
              >So far the silnylon is not looking too bad, but I'm worried about
              >condensation build up, since I know silnylon has this trait.
              >
              >Any thoughts?
              >
              >thanks
              >jamie in az

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
                Thank you Tim and Rick.

                I would only be using this for the bottom outer layer. I'm okay on
                top so far.

                jamie

                > My Travel Pod is made of 1.1 oz ripstop. It really stops wind
                quite
                > well and when it becomes moist from my breath it soaks through the
                > fabric and dries in the wind.
                >
                > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm
                >
                > I would not use silnylon for this. At least not for the top. I
                have
                > considered making a travel pod with a silnylon bottom that keeps
                the
                > bottom of the hammock dry even in blowing rain and which can be
                used on
                > wet ground for an escape, or when no trees are available.
                >
                > Rick
                >
                > chcoa wrote:
                > > It has become quite apparent to me that my winter insluation
                system
                > > becomes less effective during windy conditions. I have an outer
                > > cover that works well to stop the wind but as a prototype I had
                > > hoped to create the same type of thing but with lighter material
                one
                > > day. That day is here and I've been looking into fabric options.
                > >
                > > Unfortunately, not all the fabric sellers list the fabric's
                ability
                > > to ward off wind in their detail sections.
                > >
                > > I'd like low weight and resonably priced, certainly less
                expensive
                > > than that cuben fiber stuff (sheesh). Windproof over just wind
                > > resistant would be ideal but, will this mean the material does
                not
                > > breath at all and will collect condensation?
                > >
                > > So far the silnylon is not looking too bad, but I'm worried
                about
                > > condensation build up, since I know silnylon has this trait.
                > >
                > > Any thoughts?
                > >
                > > thanks
                > > jamie in az
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > --
                > Walk Well!
                >
                > Rick (Risk)
                >
                > *********************************
                > http://www.imrisk.com
                > author of
                > A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                > www.wayahpress.com
                > *********************************

              • Matthew Takeda
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
                  Tim Garner wrote:
                  >i don`t know that condensation would be a real problem using
                  >silnylon as an outer cover for the hammock body, as long as the top
                  >is open or covered w/ a more breathable fabric.

                  I often have a silnylon cover over the entire bottom of my hammock
                  and I haven't had any condensation problems.

                  Risk wrote:
                  >... I have
                  >considered making a travel pod with a silnylon bottom that keeps the
                  >bottom of the hammock dry even in blowing rain and which can be used on
                  >wet ground for an escape, or when no trees are available.

                  Yeah, like that. Works fine.

                  Matthew Takeda
                  the JOAT
                • Nathan Ruth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
                    I am also thinking about making making a travel pod as my next DIY project.
                    I was thinking about using sil-nylon, and using velcro to close it up
                    instead of a zipper. I was thinking about adding a small patch of netting
                    above my face to control the condensation. Do you guys think that will be
                    enough, or will I loose too much heat through the opening? I could just use
                    ripstop but I would like the extra waterproofing.

                    Nate

                    Hammock Engineer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
                      Nate,

                      A piece of netting over your face will work OK for all but the very
                      lowest temperatures. I have thought about using such a piece in my pod.
                      As to using silnylon, I do not recommend it. There is a lot of vapor
                      escaping from the sleeping bag for its full length. I well remember
                      unzipping the travel pod at -15 and watching the puff of steam rise into
                      the canopy of trees over my head when I got up to pee in the middle of
                      the night.

                      I think that using silnylon on the top surface of the travel pod is
                      asking for trouble. Everything inside the pod will get wet and when it
                      is opened, it will all freeze pretty quickly.

                      Velcro is evil in the middle of the night. It is noisy and (for me) much
                      harder to fasten while I am lying in a hammock. A zipper is quick to
                      close in one motion as I lie back after getting in the hammock. I do
                      now use a piece of Velcro at each end to suspend the pod along the
                      length of the hammock and I use a small one foot piece to fasten the two
                      halves together between my head and the end of the hammock.

                      Rick

                      Nathan Ruth wrote:
                      > I am also thinking about making making a travel pod as my next DIY project.
                      > I was thinking about using sil-nylon, and using velcro to close it up
                      > instead of a zipper. I was thinking about adding a small patch of netting
                      > above my face to control the condensation. Do you guys think that will be
                      > enough, or will I loose too much heat through the opening? I could just use
                      > ripstop but I would like the extra waterproofing.
                      >
                      > Nate
                      >
                      > Hammock Engineer

                      Walk Well!

                      Rick (Risk)

                      *********************************
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 8, 2006
                        i`m planning to make some thing like that to go over the down hammock i just finished.
                        my plan is that the ends (about 15-20" from each end) will be water proof.
                        the bottom will probably be water proof (but at least DWR).
                        the top part (probably starting at the hammock`s top edge), will be 1.1 nylon w/ a DWR treatment.
                        still working on a few details like the entrance part, but i belive i`m right w/ rick on the velcro thing. i`ve never sewed a zipper in anything, but then last year i`d never sewed anything really <G>. tim

                        Nathan Ruth <fishfarmer316@...> wrote: I am also thinking about making making a travel pod as my next DIY project.
                        I was thinking about using sil-nylon, and using velcro to close it up
                        instead of a zipper. I was thinking about adding a small patch of netting
                        above my face to control the condensation. Do you guys think that will be
                        enough, or will I loose too much heat through the opening? I could just use
                        ripstop but I would like the extra waterproofing.

                        Nate

                        Hammock Engineer

                      • gregg
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 9, 2006
                          What about making your travelpod out of uncoated 1.1 oz silnylon like
                          Rick's, then spraying silicone on the bottom and ends for rain spray
                          (like Ed recommends for windproofing his hammock bottoms for cool
                          weather). No extra sewing of waterproof bottoms and ends to breathable
                          top fabrics this way.
                          My single layer silnylon hammock is still going strong by the way.
                          Gregg

                          Posted by: "Jeff" jwj32542@...
                          <mailto:jwj32542@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20fabric%2C%20and%20old%20topic%20but%20I%20need%20some%20advice>
                          jwj32542 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/jwj32542>