Re: Knot question

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
      Gordon, you can say my name, just dont call me names...LOL

      Tom sent the link to the Speer 4 wrap. It is what I use at around 240
      lbs. if you think it might slip any knot back on the main line can
      easy your mind. It wont have much stress on it so is easy to untie.
      I usually just poke mine back under the straps like the pic shows but
      if i can only get 2 wraps i tie it off with a knot that unties by
      pulling the end of the strap. i stick a stick in that loop if i only
      get one wrap around the tree. still easy to untie once you take the
      stick out.

      Have a good trip and be sure to report back how things workd out.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gordonpugh1" <gordonpugh1@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi! I'm another newby. What's the best knot to secure the straps
      > around the trees?? I was thinking a clove hitch. BTW, I weigh ~275
      > lbs!
      >
      > This weekend I am using this quick set up that another member sent
      me
      > (see link he sent below, except that he recommended a sheet bend to
      > attach the hammock to the webbing.)
      >
      > Thanks for any suggestions. I leave early Saturday a.m. There's more
      > to the story, but will save that for another day... gordon
      >
      > (The link he sent was: http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.
      > htm)

    • gordonpugh1
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
        Thanks a million, Tom and Coy! My first grader was the first to try my
        set-up and, er, discover a problem. Nothing a little Ibuprofen won't
        fix, though, LOL. My solution was still a bit tenuous and did NOT
        Leave No Trace on the bark of those Oaks in my back yard, though it
        held ok enough for government work... I'll try THIS Speer knot
        solution. When I buy Ed's book, I'm sure I'll have lots more to
        consider. I do have another 15 yards (!) of webbing in case I mess up.
        I'm taking my camera to document the madness. My wife has just
        laughed. Too bad I didn't have a chance to sleep it in the yard
        before this campout. The Cub scouts already know I'm a bit eccentric.
        Remind me sometime to tell you about my neighbor's phone call to check
        on my wife as I buried our beloved (deceased) family pet in the back
        yard late one night... gordon

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2006
          .