Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Knot question

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
      yep... you`ll want to use something like the knot in the link tom provided.
      there are others that work as well, but if you use the wrong type of knot, it will be un-tyeable after you lay in the hammock.
      your right about the sheep bend & the loop in the link you showed to rick`s site... they are for attaching the support rope or webbing to the hammock.
      ...tim

      teblum <teblum@...> wrote: -http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/speerknot.htm

      I'm using the Speer knot with no problem. See link above.

      I can't imagine weight having any effect on the knot. The size of the
      rope or strap, maybe, so be sure those are sized right.

      Tom

      .

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
        Gordon, you can say my name, just dont call me names...LOL

        Tom sent the link to the Speer 4 wrap. It is what I use at around 240
        lbs. if you think it might slip any knot back on the main line can
        easy your mind. It wont have much stress on it so is easy to untie.
        I usually just poke mine back under the straps like the pic shows but
        if i can only get 2 wraps i tie it off with a knot that unties by
        pulling the end of the strap. i stick a stick in that loop if i only
        get one wrap around the tree. still easy to untie once you take the
        stick out.

        Have a good trip and be sure to report back how things workd out.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gordonpugh1" <gordonpugh1@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi! I'm another newby. What's the best knot to secure the straps
        > around the trees?? I was thinking a clove hitch. BTW, I weigh ~275
        > lbs!
        >
        > This weekend I am using this quick set up that another member sent
        me
        > (see link he sent below, except that he recommended a sheet bend to
        > attach the hammock to the webbing.)
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions. I leave early Saturday a.m. There's more
        > to the story, but will save that for another day... gordon
        >
        > (The link he sent was: http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.
        > htm)

      • gordonpugh1
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
          Thanks a million, Tom and Coy! My first grader was the first to try my
          set-up and, er, discover a problem. Nothing a little Ibuprofen won't
          fix, though, LOL. My solution was still a bit tenuous and did NOT
          Leave No Trace on the bark of those Oaks in my back yard, though it
          held ok enough for government work... I'll try THIS Speer knot
          solution. When I buy Ed's book, I'm sure I'll have lots more to
          consider. I do have another 15 yards (!) of webbing in case I mess up.
          I'm taking my camera to document the madness. My wife has just
          laughed. Too bad I didn't have a chance to sleep it in the yard
          before this campout. The Cub scouts already know I'm a bit eccentric.
          Remind me sometime to tell you about my neighbor's phone call to check
          on my wife as I buried our beloved (deceased) family pet in the back
          yard late one night... gordon

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2006