RE: Glucosamine (was Hammock Camping AT Section Hike)

    Message 1 of 25 , May 31, 2003
      Message
      No, Robi, there are no serious known side effects.  The link Rick gave below mentiones some minor ones--but the medical book I have gives none...Ed

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 19, 2003
        Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
        Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
        says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also warned
        me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it and
        it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com

        Dawn
      • alidisaster
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
          Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
          arthritis)
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
          wrote:

          > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
          > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
          > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
          warned
          > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
          and
          > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
          >
          > Dawn
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
            Dawn,

            Vit I: TrailName for ibuprophen aka Motrin aka Advil; I take 400 mg
            when anything/everything is sore, usually just in the morning when
            hiking, but can be used 4 times a day. After a couple days on the
            trail, I usually don't need it anymore.

            Oh, and for Ed who was looking for an inexpensive source of
            Glucosamine: Sams Club (next to Walmart most places) has plain
            Glucosamine 1000 mg; 240 tabs for $9.50 At $.04 per tab and Ed's
            recommended daily dose of 2000 mg (2 gm) it ends up costing $2.40 a
            month.

            That is the best price I have found in the last month of looking.

            Rick

            wrote:

            > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
            > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
            > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
            warned
            > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
            and
            > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
            >
            > Dawn
          • dawnhark
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 21, 2003
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
              <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
              > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
              > arthritis)

              I'm sure there is, but LOL I can only afford it for my dog right now!!

              Dawn and the ever-lovin' Jesse

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
              > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
              > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
              > warned
              > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
              > and
              > > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
              > >
              > > Dawn
            • colonelcorn76
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 22, 2003
                <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due
                > arthritis)
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on
                Joint
                > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My
                friend
                > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                > warned
                > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without

                BJ's Wholesale Club (& Sam's Club) sell Glucosamine/MSM combos in
                180 count bottles of 500mg tablets (500mg each of Glucosamine & MSM)
                for 10 bucks. The one I got had a special with 240 count in the
                bottle last time.

                They also have Gluc/Chondroitin and Gluc/Chon/MSM but at about 3
                times the price and Chondroitin oral supplements don't seem to have
                the efficacy in testing as Gluc/MSM does.

                Jim