Re: Down throw

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
      I have a Feathered Friends 800+ fill bag, so it wouldn't be sole
      source of warmnth, but I'm not sure if I should throw the throw :) in
      the hammock and climb in or attempt to attach it with binder clips
      around the outside.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Wynne Eden" <stick/

      bow@...> wrote:

      > I have two of this type of down throw--50"x58", same size as
      listed, > and one may have actually come from Sierra Trading. One
      has a
      > brushed microfiber top and nylon back, the other has a cotton
      > shell. Both are way too short (for me-5'10") to sleep under as a
      > sole blanket, but work great to curl up under on the bed or couch.
      > We also have a full sized (as in full/queen bed sized)
      > down "blanket" that I've contemplated trying in my hammock or
      > elsewhere. It is a cotton blend cover though, so a bad choice from
      > that point of view.
      >
      > They are sewn through construction with the quilting being wavy
      > enough to generally retain the down where it belongs. They will
      > develop some blank spots over time and need fluffing/shifting to
      > work those out.
      >
      > If you found one that was long enough for you, they would be a good
      > late spring & early fall cover most likely. I live in S. GA, but
      > wander to north and central FL and up as far as VA/KY. I wouldn't
      > trust it as a sole cover at temps below 40/50 or so, I don't
      think.
      > I took one for my youngest son to use at a re-enactment in Albany,
      > GA last January along with a wool blanket -- he sleeps with his
      head
      > under the blankets, and complains of the wool making his face
      itch.
      > It was in the lower 30s and we ended up rebuilding our bedrolls at
      > about 2am.
      >
      > Now that you've got me thinking, some careful work could put two of
      > these together to make it long enough to sleep under, and you could
      > put the extra down back into the quilt to increase the
      > warmth.....hmm.
      >
      > One hint: We have these same down throws at Wal-Mart, Target, and
      > sometimes places like Tuesday Morning for probably $5 less and no
      > shipping in South Georgia -- same might be true in FL.
      >
      > Wynne Eden
      > Americus, GA
      > http://southeasterntrading.com/amohkali
      > http://southernindiandept.org/
      > http://coht.org/

    • teblum
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
        I saw a "down Throw 58x50" at WalMart for about $15 yesterday. I don't
        remember/ didn't notice the case material. That seemed too small for
        sleeping to me.

        Those who know say to avoid cotton for camping. If it was Nylon, you
        could save shipping costs.

        Tom

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>
        wrote:

        > I don't intend to do really cold camping, but it can get quite chilly
        > in Florida.
        >
        > And I'm not interested in going all out with pea pods and other down
        > outer hammock covers....but I just couldn't resist this:
        >
        > http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=91122
        >
        > I reckon I could adapt it quite easily for extra warmth.
        >
        > Comments?
        >
        > sandy in miami

      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
          AHH!

          But, Grasshopper, you are new to hammock sleeping. You well may find that in your wonderful new hammock, you are a much less restless sleeper. AHHHHHH! (wink!) (Hugs, Sister-Friend!)

          Rosaleen

          Re: Down throw
          Posted by: "CC Wayah" ccwayah@...<mailto:ccwayah@...> ccwayah
          Date: Fri Nov 3, 2006 5:23 pm (PST)

          (SNIP)
          One big drawback is that I am a restless sleeper so the whole bag may turn
          around me as I twist.

          CCWayah
          Rogene