RE: Glucosamine (was Hammock Camping AT Section Hike)

  • robi dawson
    Message 1 of 25 , May 30, 2003
      With all this talk of glucosamine of late i was wondering what the side'negative effects of it can be? Is there any known long term minuses for taking so much?

      rob

      At 09:10 PM 5/30/03 -0400, you wrote:
      Rick, I noticed improvement in my knees after only two weeks--some people don't notice anything for 4 weeks or so. In any event, I'm confident you will feel better if you stick with it....Ed

      Message 2 of 25 , May 31, 2003
        Message
        No, Robi, there are no serious known side effects.  The link Rick gave below mentiones some minor ones--but the medical book I have gives none...Ed

        Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff.  My knee is doing better
        with rest and occasional vit I.  I did a bit of an internet search on
        the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

        As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
        of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

        Article I studied is here:

        http://tinyurl.com/415d

        Rick,
        The country doctor,
        Hammock hanger,
        sewing maniac,
        limping AT hiker
        > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
        > check that out...Ed

      • dawnhark
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 19, 2003
          Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
          Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
          says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also warned
          me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it and
          it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com

          Dawn
        • alidisaster
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
            Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
            arthritis)
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
            wrote:

            > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
            > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
            > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
            warned
            > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
            and
            > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
            >
            > Dawn
          • Risk
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
              Dawn,

              Vit I: TrailName for ibuprophen aka Motrin aka Advil; I take 400 mg
              when anything/everything is sore, usually just in the morning when
              hiking, but can be used 4 times a day. After a couple days on the
              trail, I usually don't need it anymore.

              Oh, and for Ed who was looking for an inexpensive source of
              Glucosamine: Sams Club (next to Walmart most places) has plain
              Glucosamine 1000 mg; 240 tabs for $9.50 At $.04 per tab and Ed's
              recommended daily dose of 2000 mg (2 gm) it ends up costing $2.40 a
              month.

              That is the best price I have found in the last month of looking.

              Rick

              wrote:

              > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
              > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
              > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
              warned
              > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
              and
              > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
              >
              > Dawn
            • dawnhark
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 21, 2003
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
                <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
                > arthritis)

                I'm sure there is, but LOL I can only afford it for my dog right now!!

                Dawn and the ever-lovin' Jesse

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                > warned
                > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                > and
                > > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                > >
                > > Dawn
              • colonelcorn76
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 22, 2003
                  <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                  > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due
                  > arthritis)
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on
                  Joint
                  > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My
                  friend
                  > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                  > warned
                  > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without

                  BJ's Wholesale Club (& Sam's Club) sell Glucosamine/MSM combos in
                  180 count bottles of 500mg tablets (500mg each of Glucosamine & MSM)
                  for 10 bucks. The one I got had a special with 240 count in the
                  bottle last time.

                  They also have Gluc/Chondroitin and Gluc/Chon/MSM but at about 3
                  times the price and Chondroitin oral supplements don't seem to have
                  the efficacy in testing as Gluc/MSM does.

                  Jim