Re: [Hammock Camping] Down throw

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
      ralph... i`ll bet it gets chilly enough to freeze ya taters there in idaho, huh? ...tim

      Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: On 11/2/06, Sandy Kramer wrote:

      > I don't intend to do really cold camping, but it can get quite chilly
      > in Florida.

      Let me be the first to snicker (politely of course) :]

      Looks like a great deal. :]

      Ralph Oborn (Idaho)

    • Wynne Eden
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
        I first read this backwards, and wondered what kind of "Throw Down"
        you were talking about....

        I have two of this type of down throw--50"x58", same size as listed,
        and one may have actually come from Sierra Trading. One has a
        brushed microfiber top and nylon back, the other has a cotton
        shell. Both are way too short (for me-5'10") to sleep under as a
        sole blanket, but work great to curl up under on the bed or couch.
        We also have a full sized (as in full/queen bed sized)
        down "blanket" that I've contemplated trying in my hammock or
        elsewhere. It is a cotton blend cover though, so a bad choice from
        that point of view.

        They are sewn through construction with the quilting being wavy
        enough to generally retain the down where it belongs. They will
        develop some blank spots over time and need fluffing/shifting to
        work those out.

        If you found one that was long enough for you, they would be a good
        late spring & early fall cover most likely. I live in S. GA, but
        wander to north and central FL and up as far as VA/KY. I wouldn't
        trust it as a sole cover at temps below 40/50 or so, I don't think.
        I took one for my youngest son to use at a re-enactment in Albany,
        GA last January along with a wool blanket -- he sleeps with his head
        under the blankets, and complains of the wool making his face itch.
        It was in the lower 30s and we ended up rebuilding our bedrolls at
        about 2am.

        Now that you've got me thinking, some careful work could put two of
        these together to make it long enough to sleep under, and you could
        put the extra down back into the quilt to increase the
        warmth.....hmm.

        One hint: We have these same down throws at Wal-Mart, Target, and
        sometimes places like Tuesday Morning for probably $5 less and no
        shipping in South Georgia -- same might be true in FL.

        Wynne Eden
        Americus, GA
        http://southeasterntrading.com/amohkali
        http://southernindiandept.org/
        http://coht.org/
      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
          I have a Feathered Friends 800+ fill bag, so it wouldn't be sole
          source of warmnth, but I'm not sure if I should throw the throw :) in
          the hammock and climb in or attempt to attach it with binder clips
          around the outside.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Wynne Eden" <stick/

          bow@...> wrote:

          > I have two of this type of down throw--50"x58", same size as
          listed, > and one may have actually come from Sierra Trading. One
          has a
          > brushed microfiber top and nylon back, the other has a cotton
          > shell. Both are way too short (for me-5'10") to sleep under as a
          > sole blanket, but work great to curl up under on the bed or couch.
          > We also have a full sized (as in full/queen bed sized)
          > down "blanket" that I've contemplated trying in my hammock or
          > elsewhere. It is a cotton blend cover though, so a bad choice from
          > that point of view.
          >
          > They are sewn through construction with the quilting being wavy
          > enough to generally retain the down where it belongs. They will
          > develop some blank spots over time and need fluffing/shifting to
          > work those out.
          >
          > If you found one that was long enough for you, they would be a good
          > late spring & early fall cover most likely. I live in S. GA, but
          > wander to north and central FL and up as far as VA/KY. I wouldn't
          > trust it as a sole cover at temps below 40/50 or so, I don't
          think.
          > I took one for my youngest son to use at a re-enactment in Albany,
          > GA last January along with a wool blanket -- he sleeps with his
          head
          > under the blankets, and complains of the wool making his face
          itch.
          > It was in the lower 30s and we ended up rebuilding our bedrolls at
          > about 2am.
          >
          > Now that you've got me thinking, some careful work could put two of
          > these together to make it long enough to sleep under, and you could
          > put the extra down back into the quilt to increase the
          > warmth.....hmm.
          >
          > One hint: We have these same down throws at Wal-Mart, Target, and
          > sometimes places like Tuesday Morning for probably $5 less and no
          > shipping in South Georgia -- same might be true in FL.
          >
          > Wynne Eden
          > Americus, GA
          > http://southeasterntrading.com/amohkali
          > http://southernindiandept.org/
          > http://coht.org/

        • teblum
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
            I saw a "down Throw 58x50" at WalMart for about $15 yesterday. I don't
            remember/ didn't notice the case material. That seemed too small for
            sleeping to me.

            Those who know say to avoid cotton for camping. If it was Nylon, you
            could save shipping costs.

            Tom

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>
            wrote:

            > I don't intend to do really cold camping, but it can get quite chilly
            > in Florida.
            >
            > And I'm not interested in going all out with pea pods and other down
            > outer hammock covers....but I just couldn't resist this:
            >
            > http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=91122
            >
            > I reckon I could adapt it quite easily for extra warmth.
            >
            > Comments?
            >
            > sandy in miami

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
              AHH!

              But, Grasshopper, you are new to hammock sleeping. You well may find that in your wonderful new hammock, you are a much less restless sleeper. AHHHHHH! (wink!) (Hugs, Sister-Friend!)

              Rosaleen

              Re: Down throw
              Posted by: "CC Wayah" ccwayah@...<mailto:ccwayah@...> ccwayah
              Date: Fri Nov 3, 2006 5:23 pm (PST)

              (SNIP)
              One big drawback is that I am a restless sleeper so the whole bag may turn
              around me as I twist.

              CCWayah
              Rogene