Re: [Hammock Camping] First night in the Mosquito Traveler (Byers)

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
      Thanks, Ed. Here's "more" already.

      I found two good trees (there were 21 in our group and everybody else
      was in a tent, so space was scarce). And I had this huge (10x12 HH)
      rain fly with nowhere to tie off. Finally, someone said, "Just use
      tent stakes." Let's just say that I had no privacy problems when
      changing.

      HOWEVER, I would like to be able to have the fly higher. I want to
      make a square fly (8 x 8 sound OK?) so I can use it asymmetrically
      and only require to tie outs. No trekking poles when I paddle a
      kayak!

      I've found some good aluminum ones from Tent Pole Technologies
      http://www.polesforyou.com/index.htm

      They come in 13 ($2.60), 18 ($3.60), and 26 ($5.60) inch lengths..
      grommet tips are 75 cents. The .340 one is approx. same diameter as
      a pencil. Thing this is thick enough?

      They do give the weight per linear foot - .29/lb - so a 4' pole would
      weigh just over 1 lb. No problem in the kayak, but I'd probably want
      to take on a backpacking trip as well so I need to keep them as light
      as possible.

      Here's the question: what total length would you suggest?

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
        Sandy, it's not clear what you're looking for, but if it's two tarp poles,
        then hiking poles are a lot lighter than the tent poles you mentioned in
        your post...Ed

        http://www.polesfor <http://www.polesforyou.com/index.htm> you.com/index.htm

        --- In hammockcamping@ <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@...> wrote:

        > Glad to hear about your first hammock night Sandy. Am I correct in
        assuming
        > you're now a devoted convert! LOL
        >
        > Hope to hear more about your hammocking..Ed
        >

        > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
        >
        > Editor, Hammock Camping News
        >
        > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          I have Leki's Malaku (sp?), but don't want to take them on a kayak
          trip!! :)

          We were camped on fairly hard ground (ie not sand) and I'm not sure
          how staking the kayak paddle pieces would have worked as I didn't
          have any extra line.