RE: [Hammock Camping] First night in the Mosquito Traveler (Byers)

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
      Glad to hear about your first hammock night Sandy. Am I correct in assuming
      you're now a devoted convert! LOL

      Hope to hear more about your hammocking..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
        Thanks, Ed. Here's "more" already.

        I found two good trees (there were 21 in our group and everybody else
        was in a tent, so space was scarce). And I had this huge (10x12 HH)
        rain fly with nowhere to tie off. Finally, someone said, "Just use
        tent stakes." Let's just say that I had no privacy problems when
        changing.

        HOWEVER, I would like to be able to have the fly higher. I want to
        make a square fly (8 x 8 sound OK?) so I can use it asymmetrically
        and only require to tie outs. No trekking poles when I paddle a
        kayak!

        I've found some good aluminum ones from Tent Pole Technologies
        http://www.polesforyou.com/index.htm

        They come in 13 ($2.60), 18 ($3.60), and 26 ($5.60) inch lengths..
        grommet tips are 75 cents. The .340 one is approx. same diameter as
        a pencil. Thing this is thick enough?

        They do give the weight per linear foot - .29/lb - so a 4' pole would
        weigh just over 1 lb. No problem in the kayak, but I'd probably want
        to take on a backpacking trip as well so I need to keep them as light
        as possible.

        Here's the question: what total length would you suggest?

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          Sandy, it's not clear what you're looking for, but if it's two tarp poles,
          then hiking poles are a lot lighter than the tent poles you mentioned in
          your post...Ed

          http://www.polesfor <http://www.polesforyou.com/index.htm> you.com/index.htm

          --- In hammockcamping@ <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@...> wrote:

          > Glad to hear about your first hammock night Sandy. Am I correct in
          assuming
          > you're now a devoted convert! LOL
          >
          > Hope to hear more about your hammocking..Ed
          >

          > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
          >
          > Editor, Hammock Camping News
          >
          > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
            I have Leki's Malaku (sp?), but don't want to take them on a kayak
            trip!! :)

            We were camped on fairly hard ground (ie not sand) and I'm not sure
            how staking the kayak paddle pieces would have worked as I didn't
            have any extra line.