sewing sounds fun Rick

  • robi dawson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 10:31 PM
      Rick,

      For what it's worth, I Rob Dawson, am interested in sewing my own hammock gear and making kayaks/canoes, skin on frame, again lots of sewing.....

      In fact I have become so intrigued with the idea of sewing my own gear, that i plan on making lots.

      there are lots of things i need (OK, would really like) and sewing my own will give me the satisfaction that I have made it myself. I truly believe the time spent on creating things is time well spent. Much nicer than a store bought item.

      for example, my children go to a Waldorf Steiner school... point is in grade 3, they knit hats as part of their handy craft lessons. I have been wearing one my son Aron made for the last two winters, i get laughed at because it looks a bit strange, not so good color combinations and he was not knitted evenly. But it was made by someone special to me and with love and I would not trade that for any store bought, mass produced hat!

      I guess i am old fashioned with this attitude towards homemade gear/items... well, enough of this gibberish, have to get out and finish the cob oven i am building with the kids so we can make even better bread and pizzas...

      robi
      At 12:21 AM 5/31/03 +0000, you wrote:
      Rosaleen,

      No appology needed...  I just wish I could get more of the XY members
      of this group interested in the little bit of sewing necessary to do
      hammock experiments.

      I am going to switch to noseeum for now anyway...  I really did not
      like that wet feeling early in the AM from absorbed moisture.

      I have tried cutting nylon and other fraying fabrics several ways.  I
      keep coming back to a method I learned while making skin on frame
      kayaks...  A cheap wood handled steak knife (or cheese knife) heated
      about a half inch from the pointly end to dull red with a propane
      torch.

      I have found that almost all "plastic" fabrics need to be cut this
      way (nylons, polyester) with the major exceptions being silnylon and
      noseeum net.

      Have fun sewing.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      > Rick-
      >
      > Cool!  Pardon me for "profiling."  I don't expect most men to know
      much about
      > fabrics.  Guys in auto parts stores didn't usually expect me to
      have a clue
      > about which part I'd need.  We can all feel the pinch, I guess.
      >
      > Keep us posted as to whether or not you want to switch to no-see-um
      in the
      > dog days of summer.  There have been nights I was tempted to take
      out window
      > screens because they impede airflow.
      >
      > Try "cutting" the chiffon with a quick pass with a hot soldering
      iron.  Hold
      > the edge with a metal rule, or one that you don't mind damage to
      the edge.

      > > From: "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      > > Subject: Re: Chiffon instead of noseeum as bug net
      > >
      > > The stuff is very sheer.  It was labeled chiffon in WalMart -
      made of
      > > polyester.  Very lightweight, much lighter in feel than noseeum.
      It
      > > seems very strong!  I have used it for more than a week of
      camping
      > > and had no problem with snags, tearing, or other problems.  Only
      > > problem I had was that it needs to have its edge seared, unlike
      > > noseeum which does not need this treatment.
      > >
      > > Rick
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      > > >Rick-
      > > >
      > > >Do you really mean "chiffon," or could you be talking about a
      fine
      > > nylon net

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      a3e6d.jpg