Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: extreme hammocking

  • list@moz.geek.nz
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2006
      Nathan Denn <natesdenn71@...> wrote:
      > a special tree hammock called a treeboat. These are really cool
      > except they weigh a lot.

      I have modified my Hennessey Hammock by slitting the mosquito net at
      the top and sewing a quickdraw (10cm long sling) into it so that I can
      attach that to the tree then clip into it inside the hammock. That
      means I can be secure inside the hammock as well as outside, which I
      think is all I need to sleep up a tree. I've been doing that for a
      while and it's a lot more comfortable than the open hammocks with a
      net over them. The only real problem (which I haven't had in Australia
      yet) is that in windy conditions the rain can get blown up into the
      hammock, making a wrap-around fly desirable.

      What other problems have you had up trees?

      Moz
    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
        On the plus
        > side, I
        > dont think you would need to worry about a seperate bear bag in
        > that
        > setup.
        >
        > Coy Boy

        Now that's what I call dual use...a bear bag/hammock.:^)

        Brian
        T-BACK
      • Eric Sandberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2006
          Hey, nice to see another rec tree climber / hammock camper in the
          crowd. It's great when you can find a nice horizontal branch to hang
          from. The one advantage that the treeboat has is you can hang it from
          one tie-in point.

          I use a Speer type hammock and plan to experiment with tying the
          hammock to an overhead bar (similar to Risk's Hammock Stand), then
          bring the lines together at one point on the limb. It'll sort of look
          like a diamond with the hammock being the bottom point. Believe me,
          I'll do this "low and slow" the first several times.

          Has anyone tried anything like this?
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
            i belive it would work... as long as everything is strong enough...the pole, the line, the attachment points, the limb.
            do you plan to let it spin or are you going to tie off one end? ...tim

            Eric Sandberg <docteric@...> wrote: Hey, nice to see another rec tree climber / hammock camper in the
            crowd. It's great when you can find a nice horizontal branch to hang
            from. The one advantage that the treeboat has is you can hang it from
            one tie-in point.

            I use a Speer type hammock and plan to experiment with tying the
            hammock to an overhead bar (similar to Risk's Hammock Stand), then
            bring the lines together at one point on the limb. It'll sort of look
            like a diamond with the hammock being the bottom point. Believe me,
            I'll do this "low and slow" the first several times.

            Has anyone tried anything like this?

            .

          • Nathan Denn
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
              Eric,

              You have an interesting if not brilliant idea going! Be sure to post some pics when you have it all figured out. When I took my rec tree climbing training with Tree Climbers International in Atlanta (www.treeclimbing.com) we hung a treeboat both on the ground and in the trees. It was a LOT of work in the trees! I found hanging my Hammock Bliss a lot easier. Your idea seems even easier! Good luck!

              Nate