extreme hammocking

  • natesdenn71
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hello everyone! I just posted some pics in my folder (Nate's Hammock)
      of some extreme hammocking I did this afternoon. I combined
      recreational tree climbing and hammocking! I was thinking about
      sleeping up there tonite, but I decided to wait for warmer weather. I
      would also need to space out my anchor points a bit more. It took
      some work to get the hammock hung in that place and I was satisfied
      with the first attempt. Many kids in the outdoor ed. program at my
      camp were quite surprised when I said hello from the trees. Many
      didnt even notice until they were right under me. Many staff were
      surprised too! Enjoy!

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2006
          cool! I'm glad to see you are tied off in a harness. I wouldn't
          trust any hammock that high off the ground...well maybe one made of HD
          1000 denier cordura nylon with tow truck straps. On the plus side, I
          dont think you would need to worry about a seperate bear bag in that
          setup.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "natesdenn71" <natesdenn71@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello everyone! I just posted some pics in my folder (Nate's
          Hammock)
          > of some extreme hammocking I did this afternoon. I combined
          > recreational tree climbing and hammocking! I was thinking about
          > sleeping up there tonite, but I decided to wait for warmer weather.
          > would also need to space out my anchor points a bit more. It took
          > some work to get the hammock hung in that place and I was satisfied
          > with the first attempt. Many kids in the outdoor ed. program at my
          > camp were quite surprised when I said hello from the trees. Many
          > didnt even notice until they were right under me. Many staff were
          > surprised too! Enjoy!

        • Nathan Denn
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2006
            At my camp we started a recreational tree climbing program this past summer. It does involve some technical equipment. Most of it is the same as rock climbing gear but the biggest difference is the harness. WAY more comfortable than a rock one. Part of the training I received was in hanging a special tree hammock called a treeboat. These are really cool except they weigh a lot. They can be found at www.newtribe.com We are thinking of purchasing a few treeboats next summer so the campers can spend the night in a tree. The $200+ price tag for something that heavy makes me want to use my hammock instead for that purpose.

            Nate

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2006
              I worked for a tree trimming service for about 5 years back in my
              younger days. Your right, a tree climbing harness (saddle is what
              we called them) is a lot more substancial and comfortable than a
              regular climbing harness. but keep a close check on your equipment
              and double check all knots. this was posted on another list today.
              not trying to scare you, just be safe.

              http://tinyurl.com/y7ujbs

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Denn <natesdenn71@...>

            • list@moz.geek.nz
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2006
                Nathan Denn <natesdenn71@...> wrote:
                > a special tree hammock called a treeboat. These are really cool
                > except they weigh a lot.

                I have modified my Hennessey Hammock by slitting the mosquito net at
                the top and sewing a quickdraw (10cm long sling) into it so that I can
                attach that to the tree then clip into it inside the hammock. That
                means I can be secure inside the hammock as well as outside, which I
                think is all I need to sleep up a tree. I've been doing that for a
                while and it's a lot more comfortable than the open hammocks with a
                net over them. The only real problem (which I haven't had in Australia
                yet) is that in windy conditions the rain can get blown up into the
                hammock, making a wrap-around fly desirable.

                What other problems have you had up trees?

                Moz
              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                  On the plus
                  > side, I
                  > dont think you would need to worry about a seperate bear bag in
                  > that
                  > setup.
                  >
                  > Coy Boy

                  Now that's what I call dual use...a bear bag/hammock.:^)

                  Brian
                  T-BACK
                • Eric Sandberg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2006
                    Hey, nice to see another rec tree climber / hammock camper in the
                    crowd. It's great when you can find a nice horizontal branch to hang
                    from. The one advantage that the treeboat has is you can hang it from
                    one tie-in point.

                    I use a Speer type hammock and plan to experiment with tying the
                    hammock to an overhead bar (similar to Risk's Hammock Stand), then
                    bring the lines together at one point on the limb. It'll sort of look
                    like a diamond with the hammock being the bottom point. Believe me,
                    I'll do this "low and slow" the first several times.

                    Has anyone tried anything like this?
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
                      i belive it would work... as long as everything is strong enough...the pole, the line, the attachment points, the limb.
                      do you plan to let it spin or are you going to tie off one end? ...tim

                      Eric Sandberg <docteric@...> wrote: Hey, nice to see another rec tree climber / hammock camper in the
                      crowd. It's great when you can find a nice horizontal branch to hang
                      from. The one advantage that the treeboat has is you can hang it from
                      one tie-in point.

                      I use a Speer type hammock and plan to experiment with tying the
                      hammock to an overhead bar (similar to Risk's Hammock Stand), then
                      bring the lines together at one point on the limb. It'll sort of look
                      like a diamond with the hammock being the bottom point. Believe me,
                      I'll do this "low and slow" the first several times.

                      Has anyone tried anything like this?

                      .

                    • Nathan Denn
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 7, 2006
                        Eric,

                        You have an interesting if not brilliant idea going! Be sure to post some pics when you have it all figured out. When I took my rec tree climbing training with Tree Climbers International in Atlanta (www.treeclimbing.com) we hung a treeboat both on the ground and in the trees. It was a LOT of work in the trees! I found hanging my Hammock Bliss a lot easier. Your idea seems even easier! Good luck!

                        Nate