Re: [Hammock Camping] Using my truck and a tree

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
      I've tied off a Speer hammock between a tree and the roof rack of my
      Yukon. The strap went off the truck at 90 degrees and was attached to
      the middle pillar of the rack. IIRC, I simply wrapped the strap around
      the pillar horizontally, 4 or 5 times, then tied a "slippery" 2 half
      hitch. No problems.

      Rich

      Rick wrote:
      > I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
      > seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
      > support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.
      >
      > I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
      > designed to take them in the bed of a truck.
      >
      > Rick

    • Brian Neeley
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
        Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote: I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
        quickie check to see how it would work.
        I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
        http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4
        I think this will work with just about any truck or pickup truck....
        It can also be centered instead of at an angle.
        What I REALLY want to try is to have a trailer hitch made that angles up like
        /
        _/

        If you want to see this "in action" check http://extremehammock.com/ , and look for the pic labeled 'fan submission' (it should be in the second column, second pic down). This guy's upright looks to be perpendicular to his hitch pipe, but I think that an angled upright would work too. If I ever put a trailer hitch on my truck, maybe I'll see if I can get somebody to weld me up one...

        Happy swingin'
        Brian Neeley

        Recent Activity

        15
        New Members

        2
        New Photos

        Visit Your Group

        Camping hammock
        Camping shelters
        Camping tarp

        In Year 2020
        Where Will You Be?
        The Yahoo! Time
        Capsule Project

        Y! Toolbar
        Get it Free!
        easy 1-click access
        to your groups.

        Yahoo! Groups
        Start a group
        in 3 easy steps.
        Connect with others.

        .

      • Scott Schroeder
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
          Good point Rick.
          If I was going to do that for a prolonged period of time I'd come up
          with a more cushioned approach. I might also see if I can get to the
          roll bar just below the ceiling and get a tieout there somehow.
          Scott