Re: [Hammock Camping] Using my truck and a tree

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
      You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
      the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
      the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
      and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
      tree.
      I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
      the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
      window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
      then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
      that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
      I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
      each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
      I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
      high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
      Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
      give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
      bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
      If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
      I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
      If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
      Thanks
      Scott
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
        I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
        seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
        support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.

        I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
        designed to take them in the bed of a truck.

        Rick

        Scott Schroeder wrote:
        > You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
        > the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
        > the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
        > and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
        > tree.
        > I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
        > the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
        > window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
        > then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
        > that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
        > I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
        > each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
        > I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
        > high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
        > Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
        > give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
        > bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
        > If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
        > I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
        > If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
        > Thanks
        > Scott

        Walk Well!

        Rick (Risk)

        *********************************
        http://www.imrisk.com
        author of
        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        www.wayahpress.com
        *********************************
      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
          I've tied off a Speer hammock between a tree and the roof rack of my
          Yukon. The strap went off the truck at 90 degrees and was attached to
          the middle pillar of the rack. IIRC, I simply wrapped the strap around
          the pillar horizontally, 4 or 5 times, then tied a "slippery" 2 half
          hitch. No problems.

          Rich

          Rick wrote:
          > I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
          > seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
          > support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.
          >
          > I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
          > designed to take them in the bed of a truck.
          >
          > Rick

        • Brian Neeley
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
            Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote: I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
            quickie check to see how it would work.
            I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
            http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4
            I think this will work with just about any truck or pickup truck....
            It can also be centered instead of at an angle.
            What I REALLY want to try is to have a trailer hitch made that angles up like
            /
            _/

            If you want to see this "in action" check http://extremehammock.com/ , and look for the pic labeled 'fan submission' (it should be in the second column, second pic down). This guy's upright looks to be perpendicular to his hitch pipe, but I think that an angled upright would work too. If I ever put a trailer hitch on my truck, maybe I'll see if I can get somebody to weld me up one...

            Happy swingin'
            Brian Neeley

            Recent Activity

            15
            New Members

            2
            New Photos

            Visit Your Group

            Camping hammock
            Camping shelters
            Camping tarp

            In Year 2020
            Where Will You Be?
            The Yahoo! Time
            Capsule Project

            Y! Toolbar
            Get it Free!
            easy 1-click access
            to your groups.

            Yahoo! Groups
            Start a group
            in 3 easy steps.
            Connect with others.

            .

          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
              Good point Rick.
              If I was going to do that for a prolonged period of time I'd come up
              with a more cushioned approach. I might also see if I can get to the
              roll bar just below the ceiling and get a tieout there somehow.
              Scott