Re: [Hammock Camping] Using my truck and a tree

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
      With a pick-up, I just put a 2x2 in one of the bed's holes for uprights
      and tie the hammock to that stub. Then tie to a tree. I like your idea
      using the van as a shelter and it would increase the number of people
      who can comfortably sleep in a van from two to three.

      Rick

      Scott Schroeder wrote:
      > I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
      > quickie check to see how it would work.
      > I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
      > http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4

    • CC Wayah
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
        Well I didn't think of using a home made garage for my car. I just thought
        of using my car's back platform for a table and the tent for a
        sitting/bedroom room that could be sort of heated by the car heater
        temporarily.
        Actually that hatchback made a good bed for my shortness fit inside quite
        well with a thick foam mattress. But it needed more room to car camp for
        longer periods. Exhaust might have been a problem
        without some sort of extension to divert the tail pipe away form the tent.
        I would work well for a bit of air conditioning though. They do make tent
        systems for Van's and trucks so why not my escort.
        Too bad my freebee Toyota replacement car doesn't have a hatch back or
        back seat that lays down on the job.

        CCWayah
        Rogene

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
            You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
            the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
            the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
            and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
            tree.
            I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
            the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
            window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
            then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
            that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
            I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
            each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
            I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
            high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
            Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
            give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
            bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
            If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
            I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
            If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
            Thanks
            Scott
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
              I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
              seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
              support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.

              I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
              designed to take them in the bed of a truck.

              Rick

              Scott Schroeder wrote:
              > You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
              > the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
              > the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
              > and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
              > tree.
              > I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
              > the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
              > window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
              > then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
              > that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
              > I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
              > each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
              > I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
              > high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
              > Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
              > give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
              > bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
              > If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
              > I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
              > If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
              > Thanks
              > Scott

              Walk Well!

              Rick (Risk)

              *********************************
              http://www.imrisk.com
              author of
              A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
              www.wayahpress.com
              *********************************
            • Richard Perlman
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                I've tied off a Speer hammock between a tree and the roof rack of my
                Yukon. The strap went off the truck at 90 degrees and was attached to
                the middle pillar of the rack. IIRC, I simply wrapped the strap around
                the pillar horizontally, 4 or 5 times, then tied a "slippery" 2 half
                hitch. No problems.

                Rich

                Rick wrote:
                > I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
                > seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
                > support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.
                >
                > I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
                > designed to take them in the bed of a truck.
                >
                > Rick

              • Brian Neeley
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                  Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote: I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
                  quickie check to see how it would work.
                  I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
                  http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4
                  I think this will work with just about any truck or pickup truck....
                  It can also be centered instead of at an angle.
                  What I REALLY want to try is to have a trailer hitch made that angles up like
                  /
                  _/

                  If you want to see this "in action" check http://extremehammock.com/ , and look for the pic labeled 'fan submission' (it should be in the second column, second pic down). This guy's upright looks to be perpendicular to his hitch pipe, but I think that an angled upright would work too. If I ever put a trailer hitch on my truck, maybe I'll see if I can get somebody to weld me up one...

                  Happy swingin'
                  Brian Neeley

                  Recent Activity

                  15
                  New Members

                  2
                  New Photos

                  Visit Your Group

                  Camping hammock
                  Camping shelters
                  Camping tarp

                  In Year 2020
                  Where Will You Be?
                  The Yahoo! Time
                  Capsule Project

                  Y! Toolbar
                  Get it Free!
                  easy 1-click access
                  to your groups.

                  Yahoo! Groups
                  Start a group
                  in 3 easy steps.
                  Connect with others.

                  .

                • Scott Schroeder
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                    Good point Rick.
                    If I was going to do that for a prolonged period of time I'd come up
                    with a more cushioned approach. I might also see if I can get to the
                    roll bar just below the ceiling and get a tieout there somehow.
                    Scott