Re: [Hammock Camping] Using my truck and a tree

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
      were you going to park the escort inside that three room tent? that would be differant<G> you could have your car, hammock, & every thing inside that big old tent!

      CC Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote: Just hope no one tries to drive off in your truck while hanging around.
      Oh wait that might be a fun amusement ride. Does you hammock have seat
      belts?
      Sounds interesting.
      Actually I thought of using my old escort for this but
      it came down with an unwanted encounter and no longer exists. I have a
      large used three room tent given to me at Stores Pond that I had planned to
      adapt to that car with an interior hammock for future gatherings and
      forestry camping.

      CCWayah.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
        With a pick-up, I just put a 2x2 in one of the bed's holes for uprights
        and tie the hammock to that stub. Then tie to a tree. I like your idea
        using the van as a shelter and it would increase the number of people
        who can comfortably sleep in a van from two to three.

        Rick

        Scott Schroeder wrote:
        > I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
        > quickie check to see how it would work.
        > I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
        > http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4

      • CC Wayah
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
          Well I didn't think of using a home made garage for my car. I just thought
          of using my car's back platform for a table and the tent for a
          sitting/bedroom room that could be sort of heated by the car heater
          temporarily.
          Actually that hatchback made a good bed for my shortness fit inside quite
          well with a thick foam mattress. But it needed more room to car camp for
          longer periods. Exhaust might have been a problem
          without some sort of extension to divert the tail pipe away form the tent.
          I would work well for a bit of air conditioning though. They do make tent
          systems for Van's and trucks so why not my escort.
          Too bad my freebee Toyota replacement car doesn't have a hatch back or
          back seat that lays down on the job.

          CCWayah
          Rogene

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
              You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
              the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
              the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
              and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
              tree.
              I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
              the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
              window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
              then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
              that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
              I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
              each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
              I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
              high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
              Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
              give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
              bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
              If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
              I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
              If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
              Thanks
              Scott
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
                seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
                support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.

                I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
                designed to take them in the bed of a truck.

                Rick

                Scott Schroeder wrote:
                > You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
                > the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
                > the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
                > and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
                > tree.
                > I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
                > the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
                > window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
                > then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
                > that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
                > I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
                > each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
                > I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
                > high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
                > Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
                > give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
                > bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
                > If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
                > I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
                > If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
                > Thanks
                > Scott

                Walk Well!

                Rick (Risk)

                *********************************
                http://www.imrisk.com
                author of
                A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                www.wayahpress.com
                *********************************
              • Richard Perlman
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                  I've tied off a Speer hammock between a tree and the roof rack of my
                  Yukon. The strap went off the truck at 90 degrees and was attached to
                  the middle pillar of the rack. IIRC, I simply wrapped the strap around
                  the pillar horizontally, 4 or 5 times, then tied a "slippery" 2 half
                  hitch. No problems.

                  Rich

                  Rick wrote:
                  > I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
                  > seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
                  > support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.
                  >
                  > I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
                  > designed to take them in the bed of a truck.
                  >
                  > Rick

                • Brian Neeley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                    Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote: I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
                    quickie check to see how it would work.
                    I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
                    http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4
                    I think this will work with just about any truck or pickup truck....
                    It can also be centered instead of at an angle.
                    What I REALLY want to try is to have a trailer hitch made that angles up like
                    /
                    _/

                    If you want to see this "in action" check http://extremehammock.com/ , and look for the pic labeled 'fan submission' (it should be in the second column, second pic down). This guy's upright looks to be perpendicular to his hitch pipe, but I think that an angled upright would work too. If I ever put a trailer hitch on my truck, maybe I'll see if I can get somebody to weld me up one...

                    Happy swingin'
                    Brian Neeley

                    Recent Activity

                    15
                    New Members

                    2
                    New Photos

                    Visit Your Group

                    Camping hammock
                    Camping shelters
                    Camping tarp

                    In Year 2020
                    Where Will You Be?
                    The Yahoo! Time
                    Capsule Project

                    Y! Toolbar
                    Get it Free!
                    easy 1-click access
                    to your groups.

                    Yahoo! Groups
                    Start a group
                    in 3 easy steps.
                    Connect with others.

                    .

                  • Scott Schroeder
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                      Good point Rick.
                      If I was going to do that for a prolonged period of time I'd come up
                      with a more cushioned approach. I might also see if I can get to the
                      roll bar just below the ceiling and get a tieout there somehow.
                      Scott