Re: [Hammock Camping] Using my truck and a tree

  • CC Wayah
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
      Just hope no one tries to drive off in your truck while hanging around.
      Oh wait that might be a fun amusement ride. Does you hammock have seat
      belts?
      Sounds interesting.
      Actually I thought of using my old escort for this but
      it came down with an unwanted encounter and no longer exists. I have a
      large used three room tent given to me at Stores Pond that I had planned to
      adapt to that car with an interior hammock for future gatherings and
      forestry camping.

      CCWayah.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
          With a pick-up, I just put a 2x2 in one of the bed's holes for uprights
          and tie the hammock to that stub. Then tie to a tree. I like your idea
          using the van as a shelter and it would increase the number of people
          who can comfortably sleep in a van from two to three.

          Rick

          Scott Schroeder wrote:
          > I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
          > quickie check to see how it would work.
          > I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
          > http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4

        • CC Wayah
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
            Well I didn't think of using a home made garage for my car. I just thought
            of using my car's back platform for a table and the tent for a
            sitting/bedroom room that could be sort of heated by the car heater
            temporarily.
            Actually that hatchback made a good bed for my shortness fit inside quite
            well with a thick foam mattress. But it needed more room to car camp for
            longer periods. Exhaust might have been a problem
            without some sort of extension to divert the tail pipe away form the tent.
            I would work well for a bit of air conditioning though. They do make tent
            systems for Van's and trucks so why not my escort.
            Too bad my freebee Toyota replacement car doesn't have a hatch back or
            back seat that lays down on the job.

            CCWayah
            Rogene

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
                the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
                the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
                and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
                tree.
                I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
                the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
                window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
                then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
                that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
                I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
                each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
                I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
                high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
                Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
                give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
                bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
                If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
                I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
                If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
                Thanks
                Scott
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                  I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
                  seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
                  support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.

                  I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
                  designed to take them in the bed of a truck.

                  Rick

                  Scott Schroeder wrote:
                  > You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
                  > the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
                  > the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
                  > and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
                  > tree.
                  > I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
                  > the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
                  > window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
                  > then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
                  > that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
                  > I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
                  > each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
                  > I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
                  > high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
                  > Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
                  > give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
                  > bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
                  > If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
                  > I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
                  > If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
                  > Thanks
                  > Scott

                  Walk Well!

                  Rick (Risk)

                  *********************************
                  http://www.imrisk.com
                  author of
                  A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                  www.wayahpress.com
                  *********************************
                • Richard Perlman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                    I've tied off a Speer hammock between a tree and the roof rack of my
                    Yukon. The strap went off the truck at 90 degrees and was attached to
                    the middle pillar of the rack. IIRC, I simply wrapped the strap around
                    the pillar horizontally, 4 or 5 times, then tied a "slippery" 2 half
                    hitch. No problems.

                    Rich

                    Rick wrote:
                    > I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
                    > seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
                    > support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.
                    >
                    > I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
                    > designed to take them in the bed of a truck.
                    >
                    > Rick

                  • Brian Neeley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                      Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote: I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
                      quickie check to see how it would work.
                      I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
                      http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4
                      I think this will work with just about any truck or pickup truck....
                      It can also be centered instead of at an angle.
                      What I REALLY want to try is to have a trailer hitch made that angles up like
                      /
                      _/

                      If you want to see this "in action" check http://extremehammock.com/ , and look for the pic labeled 'fan submission' (it should be in the second column, second pic down). This guy's upright looks to be perpendicular to his hitch pipe, but I think that an angled upright would work too. If I ever put a trailer hitch on my truck, maybe I'll see if I can get somebody to weld me up one...

                      Happy swingin'
                      Brian Neeley

                      Recent Activity

                      15
                      New Members

                      2
                      New Photos

                      Visit Your Group

                      Camping hammock
                      Camping shelters
                      Camping tarp

                      In Year 2020
                      Where Will You Be?
                      The Yahoo! Time
                      Capsule Project

                      Y! Toolbar
                      Get it Free!
                      easy 1-click access
                      to your groups.

                      Yahoo! Groups
                      Start a group
                      in 3 easy steps.
                      Connect with others.

                      .

                    • Scott Schroeder
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                        Good point Rick.
                        If I was going to do that for a prolonged period of time I'd come up
                        with a more cushioned approach. I might also see if I can get to the
                        roll bar just below the ceiling and get a tieout there somehow.
                        Scott