Using my truck and a tree

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
      I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
      quickie check to see how it would work.
      I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
      http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4
      I think this will work with just about any truck or pickup truck....
      It can also be centered instead of at an angle.
      What I REALLY want to try is to have a trailer hitch made that angles up like
      /
      _/

      That way I don't need a tree! I can just hang one end at the front
      like in the pictures and the other end off the hitch 'pole'. It would
      have to extend about 6' out from the truck to be a nice spread. I
      could also use the hitch 'pole' as one point and go to a tree from
      there..
      Anyway, I'm sure it's been done but thought I'd post about it anyway.
      I'll let yall know if I ever get an angle pole made.
      Scott
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
        i`ve not seen that done. pretty nice.
        mabey you could attach a tarp guy line to the front bumper & to the tree (or angle pole). it would lay on the truck, but spread out over the back, giving you a nice covered porch.
        if you make an angle pole, better make it plenty strong.
        i`ve give some thought to rigging up a stand of sorts that i could use in the back of my toyota pick-up for car camping, for quick, simple use. of course it would have to extend out too. ...tim

        Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote: I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
        quickie check to see how it would work.
        I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
        http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4
        I think this will work with just about any truck or pickup truck....
        It can also be centered instead of at an angle.
        What I REALLY want to try is to have a trailer hitch made that angles up like
        /
        _/

        That way I don't need a tree! I can just hang one end at the front
        like in the pictures and the other end off the hitch 'pole'. It would
        have to extend about 6' out from the truck to be a nice spread. I
        could also use the hitch 'pole' as one point and go to a tree from
        there..
        Anyway, I'm sure it's been done but thought I'd post about it anyway.
        I'll let yall know if I ever get an angle pole made.
        Scott

        ..

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
          Looks like a convenient setup. What did you tie it to inside the
          truck?

          Every time I drive by a contractor's pickup with the big heavy-duty
          racks in back I check to see if there's enough room to hang a hammock
          in there. I think you could do it diagonally in a standard bed if you
          had a short hammock.

          Jeff
        • CC Wayah
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
            Just hope no one tries to drive off in your truck while hanging around.
            Oh wait that might be a fun amusement ride. Does you hammock have seat
            belts?
            Sounds interesting.
            Actually I thought of using my old escort for this but
            it came down with an unwanted encounter and no longer exists. I have a
            large used three room tent given to me at Stores Pond that I had planned to
            adapt to that car with an interior hammock for future gatherings and
            forestry camping.

            CCWayah.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                With a pick-up, I just put a 2x2 in one of the bed's holes for uprights
                and tie the hammock to that stub. Then tie to a tree. I like your idea
                using the van as a shelter and it would increase the number of people
                who can comfortably sleep in a van from two to three.

                Rick

                Scott Schroeder wrote:
                > I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
                > quickie check to see how it would work.
                > I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
                > http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4

              • CC Wayah
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                  Well I didn't think of using a home made garage for my car. I just thought
                  of using my car's back platform for a table and the tent for a
                  sitting/bedroom room that could be sort of heated by the car heater
                  temporarily.
                  Actually that hatchback made a good bed for my shortness fit inside quite
                  well with a thick foam mattress. But it needed more room to car camp for
                  longer periods. Exhaust might have been a problem
                  without some sort of extension to divert the tail pipe away form the tent.
                  I would work well for a bit of air conditioning though. They do make tent
                  systems for Van's and trucks so why not my escort.
                  Too bad my freebee Toyota replacement car doesn't have a hatch back or
                  back seat that lays down on the job.

                  CCWayah
                  Rogene

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                      You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
                      the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
                      the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
                      and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
                      tree.
                      I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
                      the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
                      window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
                      then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
                      that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
                      I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
                      each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
                      I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
                      high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
                      Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
                      give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
                      bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
                      If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
                      I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
                      If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
                      Thanks
                      Scott
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                        I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
                        seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
                        support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.

                        I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
                        designed to take them in the bed of a truck.

                        Rick

                        Scott Schroeder wrote:
                        > You can probably come up with any number of ways to tie off the end on
                        > the truck. In this photo I went out the passenger side wind an over
                        > the top. I then tied the strap to the part between the driver window
                        > and the rear driverside window. I jus tied it up like I would to a
                        > tree.
                        > I could be setup so you have a loop to hook onto in the center between
                        > the seats. I was thinking pickup owners with the middle sliding rear
                        > window could put a wrap over the top of the cap, through each window
                        > then have the loop dead center and you attach your hammock through
                        > that rear sliding window.....whew!!! I hope that made some sense.
                        > I thought of this because my office doesn't have two decent trees near
                        > each other and I need a way to take a nap sometimes ....LOL!
                        > I did have to hang the hammock all the way to the ceiling and pretty
                        > high on the tree to keep from hitting the bed of the truck.
                        > Having most of your body inside the truck like that would definitely
                        > give a lot of protection in foul weather. If its cold, you could
                        > bundle up stuff under you to stay nice and toasty.
                        > If it's warm, just roll all the windows down.
                        > I'll let you know if some other variant comes up.
                        > If yall build on this idea please post what you did!
                        > Thanks
                        > Scott

                        Walk Well!

                        Rick (Risk)

                        *********************************
                        http://www.imrisk.com
                        author of
                        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                        www.wayahpress.com
                        *********************************
                      • Richard Perlman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                          I've tied off a Speer hammock between a tree and the roof rack of my
                          Yukon. The strap went off the truck at 90 degrees and was attached to
                          the middle pillar of the rack. IIRC, I simply wrapped the strap around
                          the pillar horizontally, 4 or 5 times, then tied a "slippery" 2 half
                          hitch. No problems.

                          Rich

                          Rick wrote:
                          > I recommend caution when tying to the pillar between front and back
                          > seats. The seal or the pillar itself can be bent or harmed by hammock
                          > support ropes or straps. Be careful with your pretty trucks.
                          >
                          > I have tied to the roll cage of my Jeep and to boards in the holes
                          > designed to take them in the bed of a truck.
                          >
                          > Rick

                        • Brian Neeley
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                            Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote: I have been thinking about this for a few days and finally did a
                            quickie check to see how it would work.
                            I posted some pics in the folder 'scott's stuff'
                            http://tinyurl.com/yhjlz4
                            I think this will work with just about any truck or pickup truck....
                            It can also be centered instead of at an angle.
                            What I REALLY want to try is to have a trailer hitch made that angles up like
                            /
                            _/

                            If you want to see this "in action" check http://extremehammock.com/ , and look for the pic labeled 'fan submission' (it should be in the second column, second pic down). This guy's upright looks to be perpendicular to his hitch pipe, but I think that an angled upright would work too. If I ever put a trailer hitch on my truck, maybe I'll see if I can get somebody to weld me up one...

                            Happy swingin'
                            Brian Neeley

                            Recent Activity

                            15
                            New Members

                            2
                            New Photos

                            Visit Your Group

                            Camping hammock
                            Camping shelters
                            Camping tarp

                            In Year 2020
                            Where Will You Be?
                            The Yahoo! Time
                            Capsule Project

                            Y! Toolbar
                            Get it Free!
                            easy 1-click access
                            to your groups.

                            Yahoo! Groups
                            Start a group
                            in 3 easy steps.
                            Connect with others.

                            .

                          • Scott Schroeder
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                              Good point Rick.
                              If I was going to do that for a prolonged period of time I'd come up
                              with a more cushioned approach. I might also see if I can get to the
                              roll bar just below the ceiling and get a tieout there somehow.
                              Scott