Re: Chiffon instead of noseeum as bug net

    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 5:21 PM
      Rosaleen,

      No appology needed... I just wish I could get more of the XY members
      of this group interested in the little bit of sewing necessary to do
      hammock experiments.

      I am going to switch to noseeum for now anyway... I really did not
      like that wet feeling early in the AM from absorbed moisture.

      I have tried cutting nylon and other fraying fabrics several ways. I
      keep coming back to a method I learned while making skin on frame
      kayaks... A cheap wood handled steak knife (or cheese knife) heated
      about a half inch from the pointly end to dull red with a propane
      torch.

      I have found that almost all "plastic" fabrics need to be cut this
      way (nylons, polyester) with the major exceptions being silnylon and
      noseeum net.

      Have fun sewing.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      > Rick-
      >
      > Cool! Pardon me for "profiling." I don't expect most men to know
      much about
      > fabrics. Guys in auto parts stores didn't usually expect me to
      have a clue
      > about which part I'd need. We can all feel the pinch, I guess.
      >
      > Keep us posted as to whether or not you want to switch to no-see-um
      in the
      > dog days of summer. There have been nights I was tempted to take
      out window
      > screens because they impede airflow.
      >
      > Try "cutting" the chiffon with a quick pass with a hot soldering
      iron. Hold
      > the edge with a metal rule, or one that you don't mind damage to
      the edge.

      > > From: "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      > > Subject: Re: Chiffon instead of noseeum as bug net
      > >
      > > The stuff is very sheer. It was labeled chiffon in WalMart -
      made of
      > > polyester. Very lightweight, much lighter in feel than noseeum.
      It
      > > seems very strong! I have used it for more than a week of
      camping
      > > and had no problem with snags, tearing, or other problems. Only
      > > problem I had was that it needs to have its edge seared, unlike
      > > noseeum which does not need this treatment.
      > >
      > > Rick
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      > > >Rick-
      > > >
      > > >Do you really mean "chiffon," or could you be talking about a
      fine
      > > nylon net

    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30 10:31 PM
        Rick,

        For what it's worth, I Rob Dawson, am interested in sewing my own hammock gear and making kayaks/canoes, skin on frame, again lots of sewing.....

        In fact I have become so intrigued with the idea of sewing my own gear, that i plan on making lots.

        there are lots of things i need (OK, would really like) and sewing my own will give me the satisfaction that I have made it myself. I truly believe the time spent on creating things is time well spent. Much nicer than a store bought item.

        for example, my children go to a Waldorf Steiner school... point is in grade 3, they knit hats as part of their handy craft lessons. I have been wearing one my son Aron made for the last two winters, i get laughed at because it looks a bit strange, not so good color combinations and he was not knitted evenly. But it was made by someone special to me and with love and I would not trade that for any store bought, mass produced hat!

        I guess i am old fashioned with this attitude towards homemade gear/items... well, enough of this gibberish, have to get out and finish the cob oven i am building with the kids so we can make even better bread and pizzas...

        robi

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        a3e6d.jpg
        a3efa.jpg