Asymmetrical Whipping On A DIY Speer-Type Hammock ????

  • heacdchange
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2006
      This question was originally asked on hammockforums.net
      <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php> and it has been on my
      mind since the subject was brought up. I am wanting to know if it is
      possible to make a Speer type hammock that has an asymmetrical shape
      like a Hennessy.

      Arkwater, member at Hammock Forum, did an experiment where he gathered
      the ends of the hammock in an off center fold and then whipped it. It
      did give him a slightly asymmetrical shape. He said:

      [quote]You can see in the last photo that folding this way causes the
      centerline of the fabric to run at a diagonal across the hammock,
      creating a little more slack on one side, and the opposite side on the
      other end. This method works pretty good, but I think there must be a
      better way. If you see any improvements, please post! Comments and
      criticism welcome.[/quote]

      I have been wondering if cutting the fabric in an asymmetrical shape
      would give more of the desired effect. Have any of you ever tried
      anything like this? Any suggestions?

      You can see how Arkwater made his hammock here (with pics).
      <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=770#post770>