MODERATORS: spam warning

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2006
      The following was posted on a hiking group I beling to. Just thought
      the moderators would be interested.....

      We had someone using this ISP ask to join via eamil this morning.

      I looked up the ISP on Goggle and found this alert.

      I then denied membership. Hopefully he/she will go away.

      Quote This Message ]

      If you run a Yahoo Groups list beware of of new members from the
      domain u.umacr.net . This is a spammer that appears to be joining as
      many lists as possible. A while back the attack was on radio related
      lists and now the attack has moved to railroad lists. (He even tried
      to spam the list for my friend's 7 1/2" gauge live steam railroad.)

      I've never seen this spammer use a Yahoo profile. All of the requests
      to join lists have come via email. I operate several lists and this
      spam attack seems to be quite thorough. The spammer appears to be
      working his way through Yahoo by topics.

      It's easy to catch junk like this if you set the list up so that new
      members must be approved and new member posts are moderated. If you
      don't do this you are putting out the welcome mat for junk. (Also, if
      you set up your list so that the members can view the members list you
      are inviting spam harvesters to send junk to your members.)

      Finally, if you're on a list that forwarded the spam from u.umacr.net
      you know that the list owner does nothing to protect you from junk
      email. No need to even mention the hazards of lists that allow
      attachments.