Cuben fibers

  • CC Wayah
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
      Hey ED and others???

      Anyone know anything about this cloth? (Cuben Fibers)
      I think it is waterproof and would not make a
      hammock but a tarp, stuff sacks etc. Found a website with yardage at around 18 dollars a yard.
      Says it's stronger than Kevlar with less stretch then Kevlar, weights is at around .48 ounces a yard.
      Tolerates ultraviolet light pretty well and is generally being used for sailboat sails. The company says they will send a sample fabric but I;I'm thinking you need to be an established business.

      CCWayah

    • Martin Mendelson, N8MG
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
        I had heard recently on a Podcast about this fiber (Cuben). I'm pretty sure
        it was one of the Backpack / Gear makers who was or has used it. Cannot
        remember the exact details of what he said on the subject but if you go to
        www.practicalbackpacking.com/blog/ there are interviews with Go-Lite,
        Mountain Laurel, Sea to Summit and Granite Gear listed in the last five
        episodes. I want to say that it was Sea to Summit that I heard about Cuben.

        TOG (Marty)

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
          Several folks at www.backpackinglight.com have used it. Check out
          their forums and search the archives. There are also pics of a cuben
          pack at whiteblaze.net.

          Jeff
        • gspoerin2002
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
            Check on the Ryan Jordans Backpacking Light forums. Search Cuben fiber
            and or Bill Fornshell. Bill is the master of Cuben! Lots of info and
            experiments. Bill posts over here too.
            Gregg

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "CC Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

            > Hey ED and others???
            >
            > Anyone know anything about this cloth? (Cuben Fibers)
            > I think it is waterproof and would not make a
            > hammock but a tarp, stuff sacks etc. Found a website with yardage
            at around 18 dollars a yard.
            > Says it's stronger than Kevlar with less stretch then Kevlar,
            weights is at around .48 ounces a yard.
            > Tolerates ultraviolet light pretty well and is generally being used
            for sailboat sails. The company says they will send a sample fabric
            but I;I'm thinking you need to be an established business.

            > CCWayah

          • Paul Kaercher
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
              > Anyone know anything about this cloth? (Cuben Fibers)

              Think of a very loosely woven cloth (using high strength, low stretch fibers),
              sandwich it between 2 thin layers of clear plastic film and you get an idea
              of what Cuben sail cloth is like.

              Cuben Fiber Corp. makes many kinds and weights of sail cloth, from about 0.3oz/ sq. yd
              to many oz/sq. yd.

              Cuben (the Company) has created a division (Cubic Tech) devoted to applications other
              than making sails.

              > I think it is waterproof and would not make a
              > hammock but a tarp, stuff sacks etc.

              It is Waterproof, I have made a tarp out of it, and will be making a pack and a
              cold weather hammock out of it in the near future.

              Bill Fornshell has a lot of experience using Cuben sailcloth and a good discussion
              can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/yf6wvb

              If you order from them be clear as to how you want it shipped. Their default shipping
              method is next-day air, very expensive.

              Paul