The 4 Pocket Bugnet

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 6:48 AM
      Just posted a picture (on this site under DebW) of the bugnet I made
      for my Speer Hammock. It has the bugnetting sewn to a ridgeline of 5/8
      inch grossgrain ribbon. I attach the bugnet to the trees above the
      hammock. It has velcro on the ends to seal around the hammock. The
      bottom hangs free with 4 pockets for adding weights. It's made with
      a single width of material and I wish it was a few inches longer. I
      have to mount it low enough that the pockets are below the place where
      the hammock sides contact the netting, otherwise gaps develop around
      the pockets when bulky objects are inserted and bugs may gain access.
      I have yet to test the bugproofness of the design in very buggy
      conditions, but so far it seems OK. The pockets can be stuffed with
      stones, items from your pack (eg. pocketknife), or items you want
      handy at night (eg. headlamp). This bugnetting should get a good test
      week after next as I'll be backpacking in NH and VT.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30 7:11 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
        <dweisens@a...> wrote:
        > Just posted a picture (on this site under DebW) of the bugnet I made
        > for my Speer Hammock.

        Great design Deb and thanks for the photos. Anxious to know how it
        works on your upcoming hike...Ed
      • Debra Weisenstein
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
          I'm back from 3 1/2 days on the southern NH AT, Rt. 25C to Hanover.
          Spent 2 nights in the hammock and the new bugnet worked out fine.
          Since the bugnet is attached directly to the trees, you have to
          be careful to reattach the vecro end strips after you are in the
          hammock and stretch the webbing. Spend one night in a very buggy
          area, and I stayed bug-free, but sometimes heard the mosquitoes
          buzzing below the hammock. I slept in a shelter one night with only
          a Z-rest under me, and couldn't wait to get up in the morning, the
          hard shelter floor was so uncomfortable. The hammock nights I slept
          much better and later.

          Deb

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
            Message
            Sounds like a good trip Deb. Nothing quite as satisfing as using your own home-made gear and finding it works better than everyone elses!  I too was out this last week and found that when I avoided the buggy stream bottoms where the established campsites were and instead setup on the dryier mountain side, I could actually leave my bug net off--which is fine with me.  But your skitters up there can get down right mean and I'm sure you were glad to have the bug net, especially when you could hear them buzzing just inches away!  Ohhh, the peace of mind that comes from having the right gear!   ...Ed