Re: Glucosamine (was Hammock Camping AT Section Hike)

  • amy
    Message 1 of 25 , May 29, 2003
      On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 11:35 AM, colonelcorn76 wrote:

      > I take 1.5g of glucosamine and 1.5g of MSM everyday. It comes in a
      > combined glucosamine/MSM tablet -- 500mg of each in a tablet and I
      > take 3 each day. The mfg is Shiff (www.shiffvitamin.com) but I buy
      > them from the local BJs Warehouse. The bottle usually has 180
      > tablets (60 day supply) but my last one was 250 tablets for the same
      > price -- $9.99 for the bottle which is pretty close to the price of
      > glucosamine alone. It works out to about 15 cents a day.

      You don't even want to know how much it costs to dose two eleven hundred
      pound animals with the stuff daily. :)

      -amy
      Message 2 of 25 , May 30, 2003
        Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff. My knee is doing better
        with rest and occasional vit I. I did a bit of an internet search on
        the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

        As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
        of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

        Article I studied is here:

        http://tinyurl.com/415d

        Rick,
        The country doctor,
        Hammock hanger,
        sewing maniac,
        limping AT hiker
        > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
        > check that out...Ed

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05
        > 065843:HM/A=1595053/R=0/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?
        YH=3

        Message 3 of 25 , May 30, 2003
          Message
          Rick, I noticed improvement in my knees after only two weeks--some people don't notice anything for 4 weeks or so. In any event, I'm confident you will feel better if you stick with it....Ed

          Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff.  My knee is doing better
          with rest and occasional vit I.  I did a bit of an internet search on
          the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

          As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
          of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

          Article I studied is here:

          http://tinyurl.com/415d

          Rick,
          The country doctor,
          Hammock hanger,
          sewing maniac,
          limping AT hiker
          > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
          > check that out...Ed

        • robi dawson
          Message 4 of 25 , May 30, 2003
            With all this talk of glucosamine of late i was wondering what the side'negative effects of it can be? Is there any known long term minuses for taking so much?

            rob

            b96a6.jpg
            b9725.jpg

            Message 5 of 25 , May 31, 2003
              Message
              No, Robi, there are no serious known side effects.  The link Rick gave below mentiones some minor ones--but the medical book I have gives none...Ed

              Well, y'all got me interested in this stuff.  My knee is doing better
              with rest and occasional vit I.  I did a bit of an internet search on
              the subject and came up with a pretty good review article.

              As a result I went out and bought some pills tonight and took a dose
              of 1500/1200 of Glucosamine and Chondritin.

              Article I studied is here:

              http://tinyurl.com/415d

              Rick,
              The country doctor,
              Hammock hanger,
              sewing maniac,
              limping AT hiker
              > Hey, that's not as expensive as I've seen--thanks for the lead; I'll
              > check that out...Ed

            • dawnhark
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 19, 2003
                Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also warned
                me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it and
                it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com

                Dawn
              • alidisaster
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
                  Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
                  arthritis)
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                  > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                  > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                  warned
                  > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                  and
                  > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                  >
                  > Dawn
                • Risk
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 20, 2003
                    Dawn,

                    Vit I: TrailName for ibuprophen aka Motrin aka Advil; I take 400 mg
                    when anything/everything is sore, usually just in the morning when
                    hiking, but can be used 4 times a day. After a couple days on the
                    trail, I usually don't need it anymore.

                    Oh, and for Ed who was looking for an inexpensive source of
                    Glucosamine: Sams Club (next to Walmart most places) has plain
                    Glucosamine 1000 mg; 240 tabs for $9.50 At $.04 per tab and Ed's
                    recommended daily dose of 2000 mg (2 gm) it ends up costing $2.40 a
                    month.

                    That is the best price I have found in the last month of looking.

                    Rick

                    wrote:

                    > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                    > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                    > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                    warned
                    > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                    and
                    > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                    >
                    > Dawn
                  • dawnhark
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 21, 2003
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
                      <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                      > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due to
                      > arthritis)

                      I'm sure there is, but LOL I can only afford it for my dog right now!!

                      Dawn and the ever-lovin' Jesse

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on Joint
                      > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My friend
                      > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                      > warned
                      > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without it
                      > and
                      > > it didn't do the trick. For Dogs--from www.drsfostersmith.com
                      > >
                      > > Dawn
                    • colonelcorn76
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 22, 2003
                        <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                        > Is there a version for Humans? (I've had to give up running due
                        > arthritis)
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Rick, what is Vit I? Also, FWIW, I just now started my dog on
                        Joint
                        > > Care Plus, it's glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C, and MSM. My
                        friend
                        > > says it made her 8-yr old Choc Lab like she's only 4! She also
                        > warned
                        > > me to get the one w/MSM, because she tried the version without

                        BJ's Wholesale Club (& Sam's Club) sell Glucosamine/MSM combos in
                        180 count bottles of 500mg tablets (500mg each of Glucosamine & MSM)
                        for 10 bucks. The one I got had a special with 240 count in the
                        bottle last time.

                        They also have Gluc/Chondroitin and Gluc/Chon/MSM but at about 3
                        times the price and Chondroitin oral supplements don't seem to have
                        the efficacy in testing as Gluc/MSM does.

                        Jim