Re: Hammock Camping Digest Number 145

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2003
      BD-

      Details of parts of my 2001 section are blurred.  IIRC, Maryland was strict about staying only in established camp sites.  Like a $500 fine, if caught.  State parks may have some prohibitions about tying lines to trees.  One AT shelter, Pine Knob, maybe, and  what seemed like a "stone's throw" from I-70 was old, smelly, dirty, and pretty creepy.  My hiking partner and I pushed on to a state park a bit south.  There were signs about no attachments to trees.  I noticed the campground hosts had web straps around trees for their dining fly.  After dark, I went ahead and hung my hammock, using "Tree Huggers", had it down around sun up, no hassles.  I don't recall if we were in Maryland or PA at that point.  We stayed at the Harper's Ferry Hostel, a bit north of town. My partner stayed inside, I used my Hennessy outside.  The keeper at that time had no problem with campers or hammockers.  The only difficulty I had was finding two trees that weren't covered with poison ivy.  Hope that was taken care of. I noticed no signs prohibiting hammocks along the AT campsites in 2001.

      Good Luck!

      Rosaleen

      From: B D <bd29162@...>
      Subject: Hammock hanging restrictions???

      does anyone have information about restrictions of hanging hammocks on the AT section starting at Crampton Gap, Maryland to Bears Den Hostel in VA? Somewhere someone said something that hammocks may be prohibited in some areas. We'll be staying at a campsite at Harper's Ferry Hostel one of the nights. Any help will be appreciated. By the way, I hammocked on the AT at Max Patch, NC a couple of weeks ago and was awaken in the night when some critter brushed the bottom side of my hammock where my pad had slipped. Now that was a different sensation.  Thanks for any help.bd

    • tcoug7
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
        We stayed at the Harper's Ferry Hostel, a bit north of town. My
        > partner stayed inside, I used my Hennessy outside. The keeper at
        that time had
        > no problem with campers or hammockers. The only difficulty I had
        was finding
        > two trees that weren't covered with poison ivy.

        Ahh Rosaleen, I contracted poison ivy there too!

        Tim