Finding the sweet spot

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2006
      Why hammocks better than beds – note the bit about Venezuela toward
      the end!! My stepfather preferred a hammock to a bed. In the "olden
      days" bedrooms had heavy metal rings imbedded in the concrete walls.

      My mother's maid had a baby who slept in a hammock – no crib and no
      diapers, just a plastic pail underneath!!

      http://www.seasidehammocks.com/Bedpage.html

      From the link below:

      How to get in and sleep in a hammock:

      Step one: stand next to the center, or lowest hanging part of the
      hammock, facing away from it, and reach back and grasp a handful of
      the far side of the hammock and lift it up over your head. If you
      were to let go of that part of the hammock at this point it would
      fall almost to your waist.

      Then sit down in the middle of the hammock and gently lie straight
      back into that bunch of hammock you are holding over your head.

      Now swing your feet up in and stretch the hammock out to the full
      distance between your out stretched hands and feet, making sure you
      are centered in the hammock and that you are perpendicular to the
      hanging axis of the hammock. Your head should not be hanging over the
      edge, nor should your feet.

      For some people Nirvana is already happening. But if you plan to
      sleep in the thing and/or reach the zenith of comfort, you now move
      slowly toward the hanging axis of the hammock until you find a sweet
      spot that supports you evenly. This will be approximately a 45 degree
      angle off axis in the larger hammocks, maybe a 30 degree angle in
      some of the narrower ones.

      Move around, don't be bashful, the hammock will conform to you. Give
      it a shot.

      Once you are used to how the hammock supports you, you can move
      around into any type of free form position that you like. The above
      directions, of course are for the beginner in the path of enlightened
      hammockology. Veterans will find their way to the doorway of bliss,
      in a manner of their own devising.

      http://www.seasidehammocks.com/Hammock-use.html

      This shows diagrams that illustrate positions and how to hang a
      hammock inside the house:
      http://www.mexihammocks.com/care___hanging.html
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2006
        HEY!!!... now there`s an idea...leave the extra bottle at home.... well mabey for summer.... ummm, & if you had plenty of water for rinsing.... and were by your self... ummm, never mind...

        Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:
        .
        My mother's maid had a baby who slept in a hammock – no crib and no
        diapers, just a plastic pail underneath!!

        .l

        .

        .
        .

        .

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 19, 2006

          > HEY!!!... now there`s an idea...

          Y'all remind me to never go camping with Tim again.

          "No, seriously, this bucket's just for a camp stool."

          "You mean it's for YOUR camp stool..."

          Ugh.

          Jeff :)