Re: Hammock Camping Digest Number 145

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2003
      Amy-

      It could be that the MSM and Vit. C were playing a larger part than the Chondroitin.  I also have read that the Glucosamine plus Chondroitin supplements were not significantly better thatn plain Glucosamine.  MSM was supposed to be helpful, though, and Vit. C is important in collagen and cell repair, IIRC.

      BTW, my MD told me to use Glucosamine and that is the only thing they have that actually fights damage.  It is interesting when the MD's support ideas the "Health nuts" and Chripractors have heralded for YEARS!

      Rosaleen

      amy <askowronek@...>

      Subject: Re: AT Section Hike

      On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 01:31  PM, Ed Speer wrote:

      >Tony, I take 1,000mg glucosamine twice a day every day.   General
      >advice is to take 3,000mg/d for first month, then drop back to a
      >smaller maintance dosage.  On a long trail, i'll take up to 6,000mg/d,
      >starting a month before the hike. It's not like a pain killer that
      >takes effect immediately--instead, it works very slowly to
      >rehydrate joint cartledge.  Most folks won't notice any improvement
      >for weeks or months after starting to take it--some folks stop taking
      >it because they don't see quick improvement--it's very subtle over a
      >long time. It is also non toxic, so you can't overdose. Since
      >rehydration is involved, be sure to drink lots of water every day of
      >your life--tea, soda, coffee, etc don't count as water. How much
      >water?  A gallon/d at home is not too much; of course, more when on
      >the trail.  Yes this is a LOT of water! I no longer drink anything but
      >water--my knees thank me every day! By the way, lower back pain is
      >also commonly due to dehydration--mine has gone away since I started
      >drinking lots of water and taking glucosamine!
      >
      >I use Spring Valley brand from Wal-Mart--just glucosamine, not
      >chrondrotin. I've read in a medical book that chrondrotin works
      >wonders if taken by injection, but is not adsorbed into the body when
      >taken orally. The commonly combined glucosamine-chrondrotin
      >supplements that are heavily advertised are way too expensive for me,
      >so I take only glucosamine.  Happy hiking...Ed

      I have anecdotal evidence that glucosamine works better in combination
      with
      other substances.  Both my old horses are on a supplement which contains
      glucosamine, msm, chondroitin, and vitamin c.  I ran out and used a
      glucosamine
      only supplement for a while.  The combo definitely worked better, in
      that
      while on just glucosamine they both were obviously more limpy within
      two weeks.

      Not that horse physiology necessarily reacts like human physiology, of
      course.

      -amy

      [This message contained attachments]

    • rosaleen43@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2003
        BD-

        Details of parts of my 2001 section are blurred.  IIRC, Maryland was strict about staying only in established camp sites.  Like a $500 fine, if caught.  State parks may have some prohibitions about tying lines to trees.  One AT shelter, Pine Knob, maybe, and  what seemed like a "stone's throw" from I-70 was old, smelly, dirty, and pretty creepy.  My hiking partner and I pushed on to a state park a bit south.  There were signs about no attachments to trees.  I noticed the campground hosts had web straps around trees for their dining fly.  After dark, I went ahead and hung my hammock, using "Tree Huggers", had it down around sun up, no hassles.  I don't recall if we were in Maryland or PA at that point.  We stayed at the Harper's Ferry Hostel, a bit north of town. My partner stayed inside, I used my Hennessy outside.  The keeper at that time had no problem with campers or hammockers.  The only difficulty I had was finding two trees that weren't covered with poison ivy.  Hope that was taken care of. I noticed no signs prohibiting hammocks along the AT campsites in 2001.

        Good Luck!

        Rosaleen

        From: B D <bd29162@...>
        Subject: Hammock hanging restrictions???

        does anyone have information about restrictions of hanging hammocks on the AT section starting at Crampton Gap, Maryland to Bears Den Hostel in VA? Somewhere someone said something that hammocks may be prohibited in some areas. We'll be staying at a campsite at Harper's Ferry Hostel one of the nights. Any help will be appreciated. By the way, I hammocked on the AT at Max Patch, NC a couple of weeks ago and was awaken in the night when some critter brushed the bottom side of my hammock where my pad had slipped. Now that was a different sensation.  Thanks for any help.bd

      • tcoug7
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
          We stayed at the Harper's Ferry Hostel, a bit north of town. My
          > partner stayed inside, I used my Hennessy outside. The keeper at
          that time had
          > no problem with campers or hammockers. The only difficulty I had
          was finding
          > two trees that weren't covered with poison ivy.

          Ahh Rosaleen, I contracted poison ivy there too!

          Tim